Author Topic: Roy's Little Engine  (Read 48576 times)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
Re: Roy's Little Engine
« Reply #105 on: February 16, 2018, 04:40:27 PM »
Hi Jo.

To be honest that's the best (and simplest ) way to bore the Hopper IMO.

You're progressing nicely.   :ThumbsUp:

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2018, 07:13:09 PM »
Thanks Graham  :)

Hopefully finish it off tomorrow

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2018, 04:12:31 PM »
Having bored it out and checked the cylinder fitted and cleaned up around the face before taking it down it was the moment of truth.. did bore line up with the other side  :) The other side was taken to depth and cleaned up on a three jaw

Its a ringing good fit I don't think it will need any gasket goo to keep the water in ;D

After that it must be time for some  :DrinkPint:

Jo

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2018, 04:51:48 PM »
Nicely done  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: How big is the chuck you used for the hopper?
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #109 on: February 18, 2018, 02:15:43 PM »
Thanks Roger  :)

How big is the chuck you used for the hopper?

That is a 250mm chuck, its not one you want to get your fingers underneath when putting it down  :hellno:

Progress was slow today. Not much to show for it  :disappointed: a bit of facing, took to length and width then drilled and counter bored the main bearing caps. Finally Tgs got the crank case mounted up ready for the next job.

I did test out some Oxford green paint on the inside of the base still not sure  :thinking: ..at least it is not as bad as boy racer red  :facepalm2:

Jo
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:16:36 PM by Jo »

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #110 on: February 18, 2018, 05:04:15 PM »
Yes best to do that one in girlie green as it will make a change from all the red ones once you get the Galloway, New Holland, Lil'Brother and Mery done in the right colours :mischief:

J

PS blue with gold wheels is the real boy racer colour ;)

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #111 on: February 18, 2018, 05:48:08 PM »

That is a 250mm chuck, its not one you want to get your fingers underneath when putting it down  :hellno:

Jo

Good grief Jo.

And here’s me thinking that 8” was more than adequate, for a chuck! That’s what I have, bought brand new from Rotogrip nigh on 30 years ago.

I assume you meant to type “ main bearings “ not “ big end “ ?

Machining the castings was always pleasurable to me, making the fiddly bits not so much. Good progress, I’m interested in seeing how you go about the line boring.

Cheers Graham.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #112 on: February 19, 2018, 01:44:44 PM »
My lunchtime exercise saw a little swarfing  :) The tops of the main bearing supports were milled flat and the front face of the casting skimmed where the cylinder will mount. When positioned in the correct location this left the main bearing caps hanging off the back of the casting  :facepalm:

A check of the numbers shows that when running there is a huge gap above the piston so I can move the crankshaft centre line forward a millimetre and nothing will hit.

Hidden on the other side of the casting is the face which the large gear will be brushing against which has also been milled with a vertical face.

:thinking: Shall I line bore it using the Y axis power feed as it is set up or turn it and use the Z axis power feed  :thinking: Have I got the horizontal draw bars  :noidea:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #113 on: February 23, 2018, 04:22:43 PM »
I would like to be showing you picture of line boring the main bearing but  :rant: my camera has died  :wallbang:  :toilet_claw:

So bearings bored [missing picture  :( ] Checked with a bit of 11.1mm for fit  :D Slid the gear over the end, took the spindle back 24.8mm chucked up a piece of 8mm and poked the other gear on this. Checked the fit with a bit of round and round testing [missing picture   :disappointed: ]

Drilled and tapped for the gear mounting bolt and looked at the gap behind the gear  :thinking: Then decided that Graham's bush idea wasn't bad as it needs a bush behind the gear anyway so bored the threaded hole out to 8m. I need to machine up the bush next 

Time to buy a new camera  :facepalm:

Jo

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #114 on: February 23, 2018, 05:08:59 PM »
Well that's a bummer Jo, but at least there has been some recent discussion of cameras on the forum which may help in selecting a new one :)

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #115 on: February 23, 2018, 05:42:05 PM »
Its been a very expensive new year Bill  :( someone must have heard me mentioning about I'll need to upgrade certain bits and pieces before I retire but I seem to be having to do the upgrading without the retirement   :cussing:

I've ordered a cheap and not too nasty Cannon 285 for workshop use - it does more than my old one did and shares the same controls so I will know what I am doing. I could pick it up tomorrow afternoon... or spend more time playing in the workshop  :noidea:

Jo
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 05:46:39 PM by Jo »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #116 on: February 23, 2018, 06:33:16 PM »
Yeah but you know the rule....without pictorial evidence it didn't happen  :lolb: The 285 should be a good choice though :)

Bill

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2018, 01:30:53 PM »
 ::)

One pic with the back up camera. The new one has just arrived  :cartwheel:

Jo

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2018, 01:43:04 PM »
Hello Jo and 285,

My good lady gave me one of those Cannon 285's for Christmas. A handy little camera, works well.

My PC is as old as the hills and still runs well on Win XP. Unfortunately Cannon are unable to provide a driver to send the Photos to the Win XP PC by wireless and there is no USB connection. So it's memory card swapping for me.

You keeping well?

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #119 on: February 24, 2018, 02:07:58 PM »
Hi Mike,

I am waiting for the battery to charge so I have not tried it yet  :-\ Wireless transfers might be interesting   :thinking:

I am still breathing I am sure I will feel much better when they force me to take early retirement  :embarassed:

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal