Author Topic: Ajax horizontal  (Read 1669 times)

Offline dgehricke

Ajax horizontal
« on: March 23, 2019, 08:53:27 PM »
Greetings all,
 I am having a truly difficult time setting up and machining  a straight hole ( like line boring ) from one side to the other so the crank can be installed and will turn with out binding.
I have made just about everything else but this frame ( thats its name ) http://www.modelenginemaker.com/Smileys/default/censored.gif any help with some good ideas or just some plain old instructions. I have already screwed up a few bearing caps and a frame I am attempting to make some repairs. /Users/wallygehricke/Desktop/Ajax engine kit copy.jpg/  Users/wallygehricke/Desktop/Ajax6 copy.jpg  I dragged two jpgs into the message window unsure if this is how to upload photos.
Thanks goes out to anyone with any type of assistance.
Regards
dgehricke
« Last Edit: March 23, 2019, 09:31:44 PM by dgehricke »

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
Re: Ajax horizontal
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 12:59:55 PM »
dgehricke,

Unfortunately, I have not been able to view your images so I must imagine what you are describing.

I also don't know whether you are asking about doing your boring on a mill or a lathe.

Excuse me if I am covering the obvious, but one must start somewhere.

In general, It would seem that you would make the bearing caps and mount them to their location before boring.

The general advice for a precision hole is drill, then bore with a boring bar, then ream.

If you have the holes drilled already, they would be undersized to allow boring. If you can locate the hole centers from either side (end?), then you can try setting up your part for boring, using whatever collection of clamps, anchors, blocks, shims, etc to do so so that you can then bore from one side. When I had to do this last, I used a known (and tested) bar mounted in a collet in my mill as a reference running through both bearing locations to double-check what I was intending to cut.  I needed a long boring bar, which I assumed was going to flex, so cut in small increments with lots of lube and chip control and stops to measure.

In all fairness, what I was doing was also compensated for by the fact that I was going for bronze insets in cast iron, so the precision was in the I.D. of the insert, rather than in the I.D. of the bore.

I hope that this may be helpful.

I also think there are others who may have input.

Best of luck,

ShopShoe

PS:  I just reread your post: I have assumed that your crank is straight. Is it possible that it is not and that is the binding you are experiencing?

SS

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 01:42:25 PM »
It looks like you are trying to add the pictures into your post which would require a third party hosting site. The easier way would be to add the to the end of your post in this case. Once you type in your text click on "Attachments and other options" at the bottom of the text box and browse to the pictures on your desktop or wherever they are on your computer. That should then let us see the pictures.

Bill

Offline dgehricke

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 04:55:51 PM »
I searched all over and on my computer ( MacPro ) there was  only post preview and spell check, Now that i"m on my laptop a MacBook Pro the  attachments show up for some strange reason. It must be a conspiracy with this engine , this is my first engine build from a kit that was given too me.
I'm going to attempt some photos thanks for your patience.
That didn't work to well I am now going to compress the photos and hopefully they will meet the server requirements. The compression software only compressed to 1.9 mb which is to big I'll have to resize the photos on a different computer.There is one drawing that I did attach hopefully enough for an idea of what I'm attempting. Again thanks for the assistance .
Regards
dgehricke

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal