Author Topic: Model Compressor---Maybe  (Read 24189 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Model Compressor---Maybe
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:55:54 PM »
As many of you know, I am always looking for some novel piece of equipment I can build to run with my model engines. Nothing overly elaborate, but not something as simple as a Ferris wheel. It has to be something with good visuals. Whatever it is has to be visible as working within a three minute window, as that is about the limit of time people will devote to an on-line video. Last night as I was trying to go to sleep, I thought about a machine that blows up a balloon. Great visuals, color of my choice, and fun. It would have to be a piston style compressor with a fairly large displacement. (To fit into the 3 minute time window.) I'll have to think on that one a bit.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Model Compressor---Maybe
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 12:26:47 AM »
Brian, at cabin fever three years ago as I recall, I saw a small tank type piston compressor that ran off one engine and powered another smaller engine. It was more of a pass through system as I recall and didn't build up much pressure, but sure looked the part. I am thinking it was made by one of our members, just can't recall who  :-[. Hoping they nay see your post.

Bill

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 12:36:02 AM »
George Luhrs made a real nice one, just like everything else that he ever did.
http://www.mwdropbox.com/event-pics/CF98/AIRCOMP.JPG

Dave

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 12:36:28 AM »
A hit/miss engine driving a model compressor that drives a smaller steam engine that drives an even smaller compressor....

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 12:50:52 AM »
Here is a picture of the one I remembered from CF.

Bill

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 01:16:39 AM »
I might have to go totally "Steampunk" on this. Probably "Steampunk" is to real steam guys the same as "Ratrods" are to real hotrodders, but I find it rather fascinating. I took my six year old grandson with me this fall and went to a "Steampunk Festival" in a nearby village. It was great.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 07:47:16 AM »
The Cameron pump that I built a couple of years back will blow up a latex glove if held over the outlet, will also pump water. It is basically just a piston pump with a couple of balls as valves.

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 09:30:56 AM »
I'v been thinking of a design for a compressor to be driven by one of my hot air motors, something other than a generator/alternator, or the mini power hacksaw, or a winch that will lift a twenty litre water container. I'v got a tank for it, I suppose that's a start.
Brian, I'll be watching this to see what ideas come up.
Ian S C

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 11:36:42 PM »
I never did get my "auto-reversing mechanism" to work. However, nothing gets wasted here. There may be a way to incorporate this gear cluster into a compressor.---Thinking----thinking---

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 12:29:38 AM »
Interested to see what you will do with that idea Brian. I am sure your creativity will come up with something.

Bill

Offline Perry

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 09:56:16 AM »
That would be a useful and cool accessory indeed. I tested my small and rather worn air engine running in reverse and it worked with air balloon :)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaEhHQOblVY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaEhHQOblVY</a>

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 01:42:45 PM »
Good show Perry!!! I thought of doing that myself, but I want to "purpose build" something just to give myself another machining project.---Brian

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »
Okay--This looks promising---
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhX-8RyP214" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhX-8RyP214</a>

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 05:10:13 PM »
It might be nice to use a couple of these in there also. :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant:

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 07:54:44 PM »
I've always fancied building a scotch yoke IC engine. It removes any side pressure on the pistons, but I guess that it carries a weight penalty over a conventional connecting rod system. Maybe four cylinders in a cross would be better  ::)  :headscratch:  :wine1:
Best regards

Roger

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal