Author Topic: Getting your scroll saw to cut straight lines!  (Read 1965 times)

simplyloco

Getting your scroll saw to cut straight lines!
« on: November 27, 2017, 03:33:00 PM »
Whilst I'm pleased with the new saw, I miss the vertical alignment control of my old (defunct) Delta band saw, so I made this gadget today. A bit of angle brass, two 3/8" x 1/8" x 1/8" ball bearings, and a cheek piece underneath to make the hold down work properly. It works on thin stuff: I just made some more 1/8" planks from 3/8" mahogany quite easily, but the saw still deflects on thick or hard stuff. This is probably down to the lack of lateral stiffness in the hold down arrangement plus the nature of the stamping process when the blades are manufactured. I'll have to find some fine tooth bandsaw blade to use as this one is a bit RUFF!  Anyway, I'm quite happy with the quite neat result.
John.

Straight plank blanks!
WP_20171127_14_13_41_Pro[1] by inkaboat, on Flickr

Planks all the same size!
WP_20171127_15_11_06_Pro[1] by inkaboat, on Flickr

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:38:55 PM by simplyloco »

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Getting your scroll saw to cut straight lines!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 04:04:19 PM »
Thanks John. That looks like a very useful addition.

Bill

Offline tinkerer

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 07:14:05 AM »
Looks similar to the blade guide on my band saw. Scroll saw blades are very narrow & the set of the teeth can make straight line cutting a problem. A band saw probably would have been a better choice. You can get different widths in band saw blades to help with better straight line cutting. The wider the blade the more it wants to go straight.
You never know what you can do, till you try. Don't be afraid to try & fail. We learn more from our failures than our successes.

Offline petertha

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 08:15:11 PM »
Blade type & manufacturer can make a world of difference. I push dense 3/8" MDF hardboard through my scroll saw with very precise cuts. Linear/fence ripping is not exactly what scrolls are intended for but you should be getting some pretty decent results. Try & find some Pegas blades (Swiss). They are razor sharp, long lasting & cut most excellent.

https://www.woodparts.ca/pegas-scroll-saw-blades.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal