Author Topic: Starrett Tool Makers Steel Clamps No160  (Read 1960 times)

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
Starrett Tool Makers Steel Clamps No160
« on: November 26, 2017, 09:50:55 AM »
Whilst browsing through an old Starrett catalogue online https://archive.org/details/StarrettToolsCatalogueNo17 I came across an advert for a pair of Tool Makers Steel Clamps they look handy and easy to make yourself, a little more research and I found a few sets for sale on ebay and I found out that they are still made by Starrett .

As any one got any experience with these clamps just how useful are they.

Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

Offline Andy

• Hitchin, Herts, Uk
Re: Starrett Tool Makers Steel Clamps No160
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 12:03:38 PM »
Looking through the catalogue they are only a dollar each. Treat yourself  :shrug:  ;D

Harold Hall described some clamps like sash clamps somewhere and they also looked like a useful thing to make and have   :)

simplyloco

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 02:09:48 PM »
Looking through the catalogue they are only a dollar each. Treat yourself  :shrug:  ;D

SNIP

Buy more than ten from China and they would probably be less than that! :Jester:
John

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 03:05:57 PM »
Sadly if you look these up on MSC, the prices range from around $50-80 each, but even for Starrett the country of origin is shown as China. Quite a premium just to have the Starrett name stamped into them  :disappointed:

Bill

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 05:05:01 PM »
I've a couple of the 160's.  The don't get used very often, but are a nice tool.  Kind of little mini vises

As for paying for the name, I doubt that is happening.  I'm more suspect of stuff from China for sure, but if its Starrett's plant in China, and if they're doing their jobs, there shouldn't a quality issue (an important "if" in there - they have had issues in the past).   Your own plant in a foriegn country is a world of difference from sourcing something from 3rd parties in that country.  I've manufactured there and get the shenanigans, but if you own the plant and dump enough resources toward managing it, like Apple does for example, the quality isn't so dependent on the location.

Keep in mind the size of the Chinese market and what that means for a global brand.  I know manufactures who've gone there, not to save money on stuff shipped here, but to supply the domestic market.  If you're a global brand, you cannot ignore that market and need to be there to succeed in it.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 05:08:47 PM by Mcgyver »

Offline sbwhart

• Live Long and Prosper
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 05:26:23 PM »
Idle hands and all that when the cold spell drove me out of the shed I did a little browsing on the archive.org sit and came a cross some old 1900 publications called American Machinist and low and behold found these suggestions for uses of the the clamps

Sorry chaps tried copying pictures from photobucket but its playing up.

Stew
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 05:31:51 PM by sbwhart »
A little bit of clearance never got in the way

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal