Author Topic: AL320G and HXX GCS900-3D - Lathe DRO Setup  (Read 8786 times)

Offline Joco

Re: AL320G and HXX GCS900-3D - Lathe DRO Setup
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 09:24:34 AM »
Got the spacing block behind the scale reader done along with the required drilling and tapping. Starting to look like the home straight.

Cheers,
James.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 07:03:12 PM »
The top-slide (aka Compound) is done. I replaced the locking cap screw with a hex nut and the gap created by the stand-offs is sized to comfortably to put a 10mm spanner down to tighten the locking nut.

Next steps will be making all the cables tidy and controlled.

Cheers,
J.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 07:09:13 PM by Joco »
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 08:27:22 PM »
This post is a little retrospective on the DRO display I purchased. So let’s be up for front, I was doing this on a budget so cost was a big driver.  The HXX DRO was a very good contender on that front.  Also a mate has one and from all accounts its doing the business for him.  So on that basis it was as good an option as any to go with.

When I got it the manual was bluntly wrong re the keyy needed to access the setup menu and then the manual was completely missing the config info.  Hence why I created the videos I did.
I had initial trouble with some keys not working. Eg 1,2,3, divide and a Z-zeroing.  However after lots of mucking about with setup menus these started to work. Cool.

This was a temporary situation.  They soon stopped working period. So engaged in further discussion with the supplier an HXX factory store on AliExpress.  I had already been asking questions on the setup front and politely pointing out some errors/omissions in the manual.  So to head off any confusion in the opening “we have a problem Houston” message I provided a clear picture with annotations showing the keys that didn’t work. I also did a video so that there was NO possible ambiguity and sent this to the contact I had already being dealing with.

Now you are probably thinking “here’s the punch line where it’s all going to go wrong”.  Well no, I’m going to buck the internet trend we all seem to see on so much social media and provide praise.

Scenery Lou at HXX asked only a couple of reasonable questions and without me even prompting for it in any shape or form offered to ship a replacement unit. Honestly I have had more hassle getting warranty honored by local suppliers than this. Very happy and pleased at the customer focus, especially since it’s not a bulk order with a large buyer.  More over the replacement came via DHL and was delivered within 3 days of shipping out of Malaysia!  Now in all cases this experience depends on who you deal with, hence why I call out the individual not just the company. Although company policy/rules clearly support such behavior.

The upshot being I have a new unit installed, it’s working beautifully.  Fingers crossed it holds. Like any electronic unit they tend to fail fast or last close to forever if looked after.

A bit of a ramble but perhaps interesting and a reminder to us that customer service is still alive and well even via the faceless medium of the internet and offshore buying/selling.

Cheers,
James.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 08:27:20 AM »
Cabling
I wanted to have a way to clamp/sinch all the cables on the back of the saddle plate.  So having a feeling for some welding with Ali and also needing to get as much practice as I can I made a simple clamp.  Used 3mm 5005. The welds are a bit ragged, I'm really in need of a lot more practice.

The result welded up and in use.

Holding the compound cable by using one of the threaded holes on the scale reader. Then cable tied to the cross slides cable.

Cabling up to the DRO display and all cable tied up.

Back shot showing final cable arrangement.

Pretty pleased with the final result, especially since this sort of stuff is not a strength.

Cheers,
James.
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Joco

« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2017, 03:26:13 AM »
One final mod has been needed to protect the cross slide reader and cables in that area. So I added an M5 cap head screw into the ali block the scale reader mounts on.

Cheers,
J.
James
Wellington - NZ

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal