Help! > Mistakes, muckups, and dangerous behaviour

wrong size holes

(1/2) > >>

scc:
I must have improved, no cock-ups since April :ThumbsUp:    I've made up for it now :ThumbsDown:

Spotting through the cylinder covers into the cylinder casting for the 1/4 BSF studs I have somehow managed to drill both ends (that's for 36 studs) with a 6mm drill :facepalm: I have no idea what  or why :Mad:

I thought if I tapped the holes 7 x 1.0 I could get away with by just making 7mm studs and nuts with the same A/F as bsf.   Can I find 7mm mild steel rod??? nobody seems to do it., or 9/32" for that matter.  I did not want to "slim down" 5/16" rod but it looks like I may have to.

Any advice people?                   Terry

Admiral_dk:
Heli-coils  :ThumbsUp: (goes under different names too) are a wire coil made from a diamond shaped, plus a thread tool 1mm. bigger in diameter than the defect one, plus and insert tool, plus the right diameter drill. These can be bought as a kit in one ore more sizes in a box.

First drill the hole, cut the new thread, place the coil in the insert tool and screw it in, Remove tool and take a punch, place it next to the tab on the coil that was used to screw the coil into position, use a hammer and give it a smal wack and the new thread is ready  :whoohoo:

There are other options, as in plug the holes and start again, for one, or your own suggestion comes to mind.

Best wishes

Per

RayW:
I just searched on eBay and found item number 272045668356
This is a company selling mild steel rod in lots of sizes including  7mm.

Ray

Bluechip:
I got some 7mm 303 Stainless from here:

https://www.aluminiumwarehouse.co.uk/stainless-steel/round-bar/diameter/7-mm/unit-of-measurement/metric

Some £2.61 for 1500mm.

Beware, shipping cost is somewhat ferocious if you only want a small order ...  :'(

Dave

scc:
Thanks  Ray and Dave,     Ebay looks favourite .            Forum personnel extracted me from the brown stuff again :cheers:    Terry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version