Author Topic: new member  (Read 2211 times)

Offline bmc

« on: November 21, 2017, 02:15:17 PM »
hello everybody, excuse me if I get this wrong. My name is keith,I live in Derbyshire UK  I recently took early retirement ,40 years as a motor vehicle technician mainly with royal mail ( but a few years in a classic jaguar workshop)and 5 years as a bench fitter in the gas industry. My interests are anything mechanical and keeping fit. I have been setting a workshop up and have a number of projects to keep busy, including amongst other stuff, a 1964 lambretta scooter, a number of bubble car engines and gearboxes, a tool and cutter grinder and an unfinished scale rolls Royce merlin engine. that's about it for now

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: new member
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 02:30:55 PM »
 :hi: Keith

an unfinished scale rolls Royce merlin engine. that's about it for now

I think if you are trying to make a scale Merlin engine it is probably enough for anyone. I am assuming you are making it from castings  :)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 02:49:20 PM »
‘‘Tis good to have another Derbyshire lad on board

Hope you enjoy your stay coming from an industrial background you should fit in with the banter

But by ekk that merlin 🧙‍♂️ is a project and a half  ( hope you include mrs Shilling’s mod )

My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline bmc

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 03:22:29 PM »
hello Jo and stuart , I still have work to do to make my workshop fully functional and I am a learner machinist , so the merlin will be a long term project. The merlin came as an unfinished project , it is all made from billet , I was also given all the images for all the parts on draftsight and e-drawings on a pen drive.The machining done includes roughing out crankshaft, some pistons, heads, all done previously before I bought them. My machines are a Warco mini mill and a myford 74 ( semi built) so lots to learn , but who dares wins eh. We all have to start somewhere, bye for now, keith .

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 03:48:34 PM »
Keith

I presume that’s a myford MF74 4 inch precision lathe ,

I know myford very well as I live not far from the now defunct  Nottingham  works
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 04:10:26 PM »
Welcome to the forum Keith, glad you have you with us and will look forward to your participation!!

Bill

Offline bmc

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 05:20:10 PM »
hello bill thank you. stuart, yes that is correct, an mf 74 four inch precision lathe , but in need of fettling and tlc . Unfortunately like most people I only have a limited budget , so often I take on equipment cheaply and repair or restore it to suit my purposes. I have renovated a number of vehicles in the past and I have a little mechanical savvy , so given time eventually I will make a start with the merlin engine project. bye for now, keith

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 05:34:04 PM »
Hi Keith,
Welcome to MEM!
Kim

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 05:57:21 PM »
Welcome to the Forum  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp: The Merlin sounds to be an interesting challenge  ::)
Best regards

Roger

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 07:08:26 PM »
hi, welcome aboard....Yes Mrs Shillings orifice ....!!!
willy......

Offline bmc

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 09:37:33 PM »
thanks for the welcomes everybody , you'll have to excuse me , the mrs schilling references are going straight over my head , anyway just to say I'm having a good time reading some of the amazing engine builds on this site , some very good tips for a newby like me , also I've tried to add a few photo's of the last v12 I rebuilt . It was a full size jaguar  v12 not a scale engine , anyway I know what a v12 looks like anyway. bye for now , keith

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 09:39:46 PM »
Welcome Keith,  looking forward to piccys :)                 Terry

Online Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 09:46:15 PM »
Hi Keith,
Welcome to MEM!

Dave

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 10:04:39 PM »
Hi Keith

Welcome from another retired Derbyshire geezer ..  :D

HTH

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Shilling%27s_orifice

Dave

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:07:48 PM by Bluechip »

Offline bmc

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 11:20:18 PM »
Thank you dave , doh , yes I get it now , the weird thing is I was a member of the jag owners club , and they printed a story about mrs schilling , an amazing lady , a brilliant engineer , a keen motorcycle racer and for a period of time a jaguar e-type owner. I thought the name rang a bell , ta , keith

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal