Author Topic: Autocad Fusion 360  (Read 2174 times)

Offline RayW

Autocad Fusion 360
« on: November 20, 2017, 08:19:33 PM »
I have seen several mentions at various times on the forum that Fusion 360 software is available free to private individuals for non-commercial use, but can anyone direct me to where I can download it. I have already downloaded and played with the 30 day free trial version, but as far as I can see, the only way to get it after this is by paying out £36 per month which, for me, would not be worth while as my use of it would be fairly limited. The only free version I can see is a 3 year licence for students and educational bodies.

I already have Freecad but it is a lot more cumbersome to use and lacks important feature at the minute such as the assembly module, which is still under development.
I have also looked at prices of  Solidworks, Alibre and several others, but all seem very expensive. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Ray

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
Re: Autocad Fusion 360
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 08:42:58 PM »
https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/free-trial
Hi Ray, down right ist the botton for hobbyists.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 08:54:26 PM »
Ray

you just use it for the 30 day trial then a pop up will show top right click that and it will let you sign up for the startup/hobbiest version , then at the end of that it pops up again and says your trail has ended just sign up again

I an on my second year with it

if you want any more info from the horses mouth go to the fusion360 forum and ask there they are quick to answer but it is free and its easy to sign up you just have to wait for it to prom you

BTW the free version is the ultimate version with all the bells and do da in 4 axis sheet metal etc note that its a cloud based program and only saves to the cloud not your computer
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline RayW

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 09:03:49 PM »
Many thanks Achim and Stuart. Now signed up as a hobbyist, so can play as much as I want!
Ray

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 10:48:17 PM »
Glad you got it going. I've been using it a LOT for my plans. There is a bit of a learning curve, but they have some wonderful tutorial videos on their support section, highly recommend them if you have not watched the yet, at least the sketching/modeling ones.
The app does have some bugs (like any big program), and it will lock/crash once in a while. Be sure to find and set the time-between-autosave option to something small, and hit save yourself once in a while.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 12:41:16 AM »
IMHO  this is one area that has benefitted from some competition, especially from Solidworks. Autodesk had reached a point where hobbyists we're priced out. At least now they recognize we exist and don't have unlimited software budgets!!

Bill

Offline gldavison

• Tarkio, Mo.
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 11:29:39 PM »
Ray

BTW the free version is the ultimate version with all the bells and do da in 4 axis sheet metal etc note that its a cloud based program and only saves to the cloud not your computer

Not True. You can save to your computer in the free version.
Gary
Windows 10 & 11, Alibre Design Pro V27, IntelliCADPro6, CamBam, Mach4, 3D Printers, Cetus, Anet ET5 X
15" South Bend, 10" Logan lathe, Grizzly square column mill, CNC router & Hot wire cutter. Lagun FTV-1 knee mill, Sherline mill & lathe

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 07:13:39 AM »
Please explain how to ?

Offline Swarf Maker

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 09:24:04 AM »
If a file has been opened on the computer that you are currently using it will automatically be saved in that computers offline cache. Files saved in the offline cache will appear in the data panel as normal. Files that are not in the cache will be greyed out. You can right click on the file in the data panel and at the bottom of the menu is an option to add the file to the offline cache. There is an article in the learning area on the web telling you how to retrieve files from the cache.

The more sane approach is to use the 'save as' option under the file menu at the top line of the screen. You can select where in your cloud structure you want to save the file and also where on your computer you wish to save it. It will be saved as an F3D (archive) file. You can bring F3D files back into play any time you wish, including when offline, by selecting the file in your computer from the 'upload' menu in the data panel.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 12:20:37 PM »
Thanks

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 01:15:09 PM »
There is also an option to save the .f3d archive under the 'export' menu item when the design is open, it will save to your local machine. I normally use the cloud save for day to day usage, but in the name of backup copies in case their server gets hit by a bus I do occasional local copies too. Local machine is backed up as well, in case that bus is still moving!

Offline PJPickard

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 02:12:06 PM »
I'm just getting going with Fusion...but one thing that I have found is VERY useful, is it opens seemingly all other files formats(ie SW) without a hitch.
I have been using Inventor for years and Fusion is very similar so it is familiar. For me the built in CAM is what sold me.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal