Author Topic: Vertical Strip Sander  (Read 3958 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Vertical Strip Sander
« on: November 19, 2017, 02:07:53 AM »
A few days ago I ran across this video of a 1" x 30" vertical strip sander and really liked it.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gff-PdQGZFE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gff-PdQGZFE</a> (Go to 38 seconds to see sander)

Even though I have a 2" x 48" belt grinder, I've been thinking about a smaller, 1" x 30" sander for smaller, more delicate work.  Because of the various features, I decided this is the one I want to build.  Although the original builder did an admirable job with the tools at hand, I decided I had the tools to make something a little more substantial.  Here is what I have so far.

Here is a draft drawing of roughly where I'm headed with this project...

Chuck

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 02:59:52 AM by cfellows »
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
Re: Vertical Strip Sander
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 02:53:33 AM »
This looks great Chuck. I'm going to follow this build closely.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 06:18:54 AM »
OH NO ANOTHER PROJECT,

Hi Chuck,
 Following along...... :popcorn:

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 05:13:51 PM »
Thanks, guys, gotta stay busy1

Chuck

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 11:45:19 PM »
Got some more work done on the strip sander today.  Getting pretty close to done although I have a lot of touch ups to do.  Gotta trim off some of the bolts and nuts since they are perilously close to the belt.

Next I'll start working on the enclosure...

Chuck

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 03:13:56 AM »
Chuck,
That sounds like a great project. I'm starting to wish I had one. :thinking:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 04:58:22 AM »
Thanks, Art.  Here is a short video of the sander so far.  I replaced the plywood base with an aluminum channel base.  I'll be adding a table and enclosure made from 1/2" plywood.

Not a valid vimeo URL
Chuck

Offline Steamer5

• Global Moderator
  • The "Naki" New Zealand
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 06:30:50 AM »
Looking good Chuck!

Can see this being a very useful addition to the shop.

Cheers Kerrin
Get excited and make something!

Offline Joco

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 06:45:28 PM »
What speed motor are you planning to use?
James
Wellington - NZ

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 11:32:45 PM »
I have a big, mean old 4" wide vertical belt sander that I built 25 years ago for cleaning up flame cut hotrod brackets. I also have a store bought 1" delta vertical belt sander. However, I have nothing here that will sand the inside of a curved surface. I have thought about building a 2" vertical belt sander, that instead of a using a flat platen for the belt to run over, would use a 1 1/2"  piece of  round stock with appropriately tapered ends to use as the platen. This of course assumes that the "belt" would transition from a flat pulley to a curved platen and then back to a second flat pulley. I haven't built one because I don't need one that often---But the thought is there.---Brian

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 03:08:38 AM »
I have a big, mean old 4" wide vertical belt sander that I built 25 years ago for cleaning up flame cut hotrod brackets. I also have a store bought 1" delta vertical belt sander. However, I have nothing here that will sand the inside of a curved surface. I have thought about building a 2" vertical belt sander, that instead of a using a flat platen for the belt to run over, would use a 1 1/2"  piece of  round stock with appropriately tapered ends to use as the platen. This of course assumes that the "belt" would transition from a flat pulley to a curved platen and then back to a second flat pulley. I haven't built one because I don't need one that often---But the thought is there.---Brian

Brian.............wouldn't a 1 1/2" drum sander accomplish the same thing?

You've got me thinking about coming up with a mount for my dremel tool....... much like a router table. That would let a person sand an inside radius down to about a 1/4" radius.

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Hugh Currin

• Box Elder, SD, USA
    • www.currin.us
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 06:00:04 AM »
Brian.............wouldn't a 1 1/2" drum sander accomplish the same thing?

You've got me thinking about coming up with a mount for my dremel tool....... much like a router table. That would let a person sand an inside radius down to about a 1/4" radius.
Jim: Do you mean an "Oscilating Sander" similar to this one? I'm not sure if it just moves up and down, or also round and round. It would be handy for an inside radius. There's also the "filing machine" members were building here awhile ago. That would do smaller inside radii.

Chuck: That does look like a nice belt sander. I built one (I'm sure similar your larger one?) that's 2"x72" and really like it.

I borrowed the table configuration from "Micky" which is a series of holes giving known table tilts. A bit of calculation to figure out where to put the holes and another bit of trouble to build. But it is handy. Just a thought.

The little one your building is nice. It, like all your designs, has such simplistic elegance. Beautiful. Nice work.

Hugh
Hugh

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2017, 01:29:41 PM »
Hi Hugh - those oscillating spindle snaders spin the drum and also move it up and down, so that the sandpaper is not hit all in on circle on thin stock.

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2017, 04:36:20 AM »
What speed motor are you planning to use?

The motor runs at 3450 RPM, belt speed is 1000 feet per minute, slow by most standards...

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2017, 04:38:38 AM »
Here's a video of the finished sander.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDrFgfw7uyE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDrFgfw7uyE</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal