Author Topic: HF October Sale  (Read 6298 times)

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
HF October Sale
« on: September 30, 2012, 05:28:02 PM »
Just got the HF circular for October. Seems like it has some pretty good deals on some things I'm interested in.

There's a couple of tool carts. A four drawer (black) one for $100 ($130 off) and another 11 drawer for $160 ($140) off.

Anyone have experience or opinions on these? Just for the home shop and they won't get beat up much.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Tin Falcon

• Down Jersey USA
Re: HF October Sale
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 05:46:18 PM »
take a look at the floor models . if the floor model is beat up and falling apart you may want to pass on it. If the drawers are not smooth empty they will be worse when full of stuff. the older wooden tool boxes at HF I have seen broken drawers on the floor model . Not a good selling point.  I have a Kennedy and  craftsman ball bearing tool cabinet. I also have a 20 year old Walmart popular mechanics box. roll around and tool box. I used it at work in a fiberglass shop  for about five years then just the top at a couple other shops for a year each.  It has held up just fine.
I did buy one of the windsor brand wooden  tool boxes seems solid and nice for the money.
HF tools are hit and miss for the most part have found them a good value. but look at the item carefully before you buy there are duds and I have bought a couple.
Tin

PS are you going to make R&T  for the time of harvest show?

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2012, 05:58:18 PM »
It would be helpful if you could provide pointers to the items on their web page.  I think I know which one you mean by the 11 drawer unit, but I'm not certain.

I strongly recommend that you go to a HF store and kick the tires on anything you're contemplating buying.  The tool cabinets I've examined at their store did not have ball bearing drawer slides.  It was difficult to open them even when they were empty.  I can't imagine what they would be like if loaded with fifty pounds of tooling.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2012, 06:18:15 PM »
Good point about the drawer slides. That would drive me nuts if they're difficult.

Item 67521 Regular $299.99. Web shows $199.99. Flyer shows $159.99.
Item 95659 Regular $229.99. Web shows $149.99. Flyer shows $99.99.

Significant difference in web versus store price!

Hadn't thought to look at the web. Lots of reviews...mostly good. Several good statements about the drawers but finally came across one that mentioned the lack of roller ball bearings.

I can't tell if the Craftsmans I have have roller ball bearings. Doesn't look like it, and they were cheap ones, so I suspect not. I'm okay with how they work.

I'll have to run by the store and check them out.

Thanks Marv.
"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2012, 06:54:09 PM »
Item 67421 (not 67521) is the one I referred to.  I wouldn't have it in my shop.  Believe me, those drawers would drive you to drink.  (I know, I know.)

I have lusted after 67831 from visit to visit but it won't fit in my shop.

Incidentally, just so you don't think I bad mouth everything at HF, I bought their 5770 cart to hold all the milling accessories next to the milling machine and it's worked very well.  I have it heavily loaded and it's held up without a glitch.

When you go tire kicking, don't forget to examine the wheels.  If you see any plastic take a clue from Monty Python...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAp9sFVdERQ" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAp9sFVdERQ</a>
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 07:16:25 PM »
The wheels. Yes. Came across one review that said the wheels stunk so bad he had to move it into the garage.

My mistake. We're talking the same 67421 cabinet.

67831? Hm. On the web the price of the two others adds up to that one. But I'm thinking of two different work areas. Small woodworking projects are in my future. That's right  :Director: you heard me! Need bases and display boxes for my metal projects.

Was that guy laughing at the end of the video you? Sure made me think of you.
"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 08:13:49 PM »
Small woodworking projects are in my future. That's right, you heard me! Need bases and display boxes for my metal projects.

Oh, no, not the dark side!  Say it isn't true.  If you think metalworking is frustrating... well, enough said.

Given the number of projects we complete in a year, it's far cheaper to buy bases than to buy, set up, futz with woodworking tools, cutters and those awful finishes.  Sources for pre-made bases are all over the web, e.g.,

http://www.ooakartistemporium.com/Displays.html

For boxes, look for (spit) sports memorabilia boxes.  It's hard to believe but people actually make nice glass and wood, back-mirrored boxes to display, ugh, footballs.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 08:34:59 PM »
I have the 67421 stack in my shop.  I paid $130 for it about 2 years ago.  No, it's not crafstman, but it's servicable.  You have to pull the drawers straight out, and push them back in straight, or they can bind.  But it was cheap, and I needed a tool cabinet.

Drawers are felt lined.  Finish is good.  Unfortunately, HF has jacked up all their prices, and started to flood the market with coupons.  The deals are just not there like they were a couple years ago.

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2012, 09:39:57 PM »
I'm with you on that rleete. I just need service-ability. I tend to pull out what I need for an operation and then put everything back. So I might open/close a drawer once in a while (a blue moon it would seem right now).

Ah Marv. I have a cunning plan. She wants wine racks and picture frames. I need bases and boxes. I like to make things. That requires tools. AND THAT requires space. Space for me and my tools. My space.  :whoohoo: Filled with stuff dirt, dust, oil, swarf, chips...to keep the tourists out.

mein Heiligtum

There's just one flaw. Lack of time. I bought a table saw in January. Haven't used it yet.
"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 11:08:17 PM »
She wants wine racks and picture frames. I need bases and boxes.

So, let me see if I understand.  You want to create an opportunity for her to dream up even more honey-do's to keep you occupied and away from the one true shop.  I can hear it all now...

"What a wonderful candle stand.  I simply love that turned Chippendale upright and the hand-carved ball and claw feet."

"Yes, Carl spent a whole year building that.  He could have done it faster but that accident with the table saw set him back quite a bit.  He says it's so hard to hold the chisel with just two fingers."

"Is there any chance I could get him to build me one?"

"Oh, sure.  But dear, they're meant to be used as a pair, one on each side of the fireplace.  I'll get him to make you two.  He'll refuse at first but I know how to get him to do what I want."

Yeah, I can see it now.  Let me know when you sell the lathe and mill.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2012, 11:22:03 PM »
but I know how to get him to do what I want.

and therein lies the flaw to all my plans.

Now...if you could offer a better deal... :thinking:

"To work. To work."

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2012, 11:40:58 PM »

I could but my wife is calling me to do something.  Must run.   :thewhip:
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 12:04:22 AM »

I could but my wife is calling me to do something.  Must run.   :thewhip:

No problem. I can wait. I'm intrigued by your statement "I could".
Can't wait to hear. But to be honest...I have my doubts.  ;D

Still...it's good to know you have the same afflictions as I.  :D
"To work. To work."

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2012, 02:05:36 AM »
For those that might be interested...

I took the plunge and bought both cabinets. Just finished putting them together.
For the money I think they will do just fine. Actually better than my expectations (generally low).

No damage and nothing missing.

Had one or two guys behind me buying the same so I was glad I went early.

Minor glitches putting the 4 drawer together:

1) Don't pay attention to the instruction and tighten the legs before putting the cabinet in.
2) Either the 1/2" bolts aren't 1/2" or I got a dud set of 1/2" Craftman wrenches. Tight but got it.
3) The review that talked about the stinky wheels? Wife and kids came downstairs while I was putting it together and each one asked "What's that stink?". Had it been me, they would have said "You stink". Not sure it was the wheels or the shelf liners. Somewhat abated today but yes...they stink. If it doesn't go away I may set the cabinet on a workbench and move the cart out to the garage. Maybe take some 2x4 and plywood and make a roll-around cart. I'll wait and see what the family says...i.e. what stinks more. I'm staying so it doesn't matter if it's me.

The 11 drawer was even easier. At first I thought the instructions were missing. I found them hiding under a liner after I had finished assembly.

I did appreciate the fact that the cabinets came with fitted liners. Had to buy them extra for the Craftsman. One was slightly torn because the parts box shifted on it. They should have put the liners in one drawer.

Drawers work just fine. Not much different than my cheapo Craftmans.

I think my only complaint is the need to lift the lid to unlock drawers. I can defeat that on the 4 drawer (I think) but haven't seen a way to do it on the 11 drawer.

Might have saved a few bucks to go to Delaware (no sales tax) but at today's gas prices it wasn't worth it. And...I may have gotten there only to find them out of stock. That would not have been good.

Still waiting for your offer Marv. I know I won't be able to refuse.
"To work. To work."

Offline rleete

• Rochester, NY USA
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2012, 02:52:29 AM »
I think my only complaint is the need to lift the lid to unlock drawers. I can defeat that on the 4 drawer (I think) but haven't seen a way to do it on the 11 drawer.

Take out the drawers.  It's a pain, but doable.  On the back, there's a bar that closes with the lid, and has these tabs popped out, which engage the drawers.  Bend them in, no more locking drawers.  Or, do like I do and open the drawers an inch or so.  Close lid, drawers are not locked.  Pushing in drawers may lock them, I don't remember.

CAUTION!  When moving chest, non locking drawers can slide out, overbalancing the whole shebang.  Chaos and pain may result.  Young children's ears may be melted by ensuing language used by cabinet mover.  You have been warned!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal