Author Topic: Lathe Tool Carbide Inserts & Holders from Banggood  (Read 12211 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Lathe Tool Carbide Inserts & Holders from Banggood
« on: November 18, 2017, 05:38:31 AM »
I bought this set from Banggood and it arrived yesterday. 

https://www.banggood.com/7pcs-12mm-Shank-Lathe-Boring-Bar-Turning-Tool-Holder-Set-With-Carbide-Inserts-p-1102496.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=USA

I've put some of the tools to the test and am quite happy so far.  The grooving / cutoff tool cuts cleanly and smoothly.  It makes about a .093" groove.  The turning and facing tool also works well.  I can take .050" deep turning cut and it doesn't chatter and leaves a very nice finish.  There is also an external and an internal threading tool with their own inserts.  Haven't tried all of them yet, but for the price, it seems like a really good deal.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Lathe Tool Carbide Inserts & Holders from Banggood
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 10:17:15 AM »
I would have hoped for a 2.0mm width groove from a MGMN200 insert as the 200 indicates a groove width of 2.0mm.

Problem with bangood is they are the host for many sellers and makers so you could get a half decent tool or you could get one that has not made the grade when put through QC so are sold off cheap by third parties or are just being sold at a low price as money laundering.

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 02:29:08 PM »
What are the insert numbers for each of the tools? I couldn't find any listed on the ad.  Are they going to be readily available?
   ...lew... 

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 05:02:22 PM »
All the codes are in the advert and all standard ISO numbers

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 07:54:35 PM »
I would have hoped for a 2.0mm width groove from a MGMN200 insert as the 200 indicates a groove width of 2.0mm.

...Deleted...

I guessed at the .093" width.  I went back and measured it and the cutoff tip is actually 2.0 mm wide.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 09:36:56 PM »
Well I don't know how good it'll be but thanks to your post and link Chuck I visited Banggood for the first time today.

Result of that is that I ordered what appears to be a reasonable looking inserted face mill on an R8 mandrel for less than 30 pounds and 10 spare inserts for a tenner and post free to boot

Given what Jason says however and that ever present 'Caveat Emptor' feeling I still felt it  was worth a go. So far all the tooling I've bought from Arc Euro for my new mill has more than lived up to expectation - given its cost - so I'm looking forwards to seeing what transpires in a couple of days time on this one.

Thanks Chuck - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 07:38:51 AM »
Ramon, I bought a 50mm one a couple of months ago and it is pants :( just gets pushed off cast iron and steel. Will probably try some better quality inserts but don't hold out much hope for it. The head and arbor seem well made though.

There is also a thread at the moment on ME re these type of milling cutters
http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=131785&p=1#PostTop

As I mentioned above the good suppliers such as ARC have their stuff quality checked before it leaves China, some of what you find via Bangood is what does not meet the QC and is sold off cheap.

J
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:47:28 AM by Jasonb »

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 09:30:06 AM »
Hi Jason,

Yes I did read your post on ME - but only after I'd bought it! We'll have to see what transpires, to be fair, I wasn't expecting too much of the tips at the price they are but may be the spares might be a little better.

What sort of cuts (depth) were you putting on for it to push?

So far the 'ole' Chinese mill and the kit I bought for it from Arc has more than lived up to expectation - again, for the price paid - and believe me it has finally seen some concentrated use these weeks past ;)

Regards - Ramon

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 09:33:27 AM »
I have brought many carbide tool holders & tips from China via Fleabay and have not had a duff one yet  :ThumbsUp: Just remember these are industrial tips so don't tickle with them  ;).

As regards large diameter tipped milling cutters I would recommend HJH Tooling: Tony and Helen pick up loads of Bristol Erickson & Swiss tooling and sell them for about £20 including a box of spare tips  8)

Jo

P.S. HJH were also the trader who sold me my automatic boring and facing head for £40  :embarassed:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 09:37:40 AM »
Ramon

I have bought a 6mmm EM holder MT2 from Ark and also the same from bang good  they both test the same for runout and fit for the 6mm and mt 2 the difference 1/3 the price and 4 weeks to get them here

I have not tried any inserts from them , because I believe its the insert that matters more than the holder

thats my view for what its worth
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 09:41:17 AM »
Link please Jo. or is it file bay

Hope you are feeling better

Stuart

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 10:21:51 AM »
Link please Jo. or is it file bay

HJH? Tony and Helen are one of the few traders who are still truly committed to model engineering and attend our model shows  8) Its no good phoning them as they turn over stuff so fast they couldn't tell you what they have in at any time.

Hope you are feeling better

Stuart

:-[ The "W" word is not helping my recovery :ShakeHead:      And now the :censored:  :censored:  :censored: have told me that my time off for my recovery will impact my pensionable income for the next four years :rant:  So retirement can't come soon enough  :Director:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 11:43:51 AM »
Well those  :censored:

My only advice is get out and enjoy life , they put in a new engineer in the bank his sole aim was to get rid of the staff ( bear in mind I was an assistant manager grade ) who knew more than he did with constant sniping and 0.01% pay rises I got out as fast as I could .

Until the last day when they had a big failure during the night I arrived at 0700 to find him on site in a right old state , took me all of 5 mins to sort it , his comment was I think we are making a mistake getting rid of you , my reply politely was to late I am off at the end of this shift

Revenge is best served cold

Hope you can sort it out

For the record I use APT for turning and milling cutters and Sandvik for parting off / groving inserts

Stuart

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 01:27:30 PM »
Jo, Stuart, Thanks for the info

I bought this more for the fact that it seemed to good to miss at the price offered. After a near lifetime in a workshop environment I know this will never get used in the manner for which it (fundamentally) is designed. I use carbide tooling very rarely (with the accent on 'very') but it will find it's use no doubt at some stage.

I will run a test on it if only to see if I get the same results as Jason and pop a post up

Regards - Ramon

PS I have to say their (Banggood) service is good both items already dispatched and on their way

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »
Ramon

Getting them January then  :stir:

Stuart

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal