Author Topic: Lathe Tool Carbide Inserts & Holders from Banggood  (Read 12213 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Lathe Tool Carbide Inserts & Holders from Banggood
« on: November 18, 2017, 05:38:31 AM »
I bought this set from Banggood and it arrived yesterday. 

https://www.banggood.com/7pcs-12mm-Shank-Lathe-Boring-Bar-Turning-Tool-Holder-Set-With-Carbide-Inserts-p-1102496.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=USA

I've put some of the tools to the test and am quite happy so far.  The grooving / cutoff tool cuts cleanly and smoothly.  It makes about a .093" groove.  The turning and facing tool also works well.  I can take .050" deep turning cut and it doesn't chatter and leaves a very nice finish.  There is also an external and an internal threading tool with their own inserts.  Haven't tried all of them yet, but for the price, it seems like a really good deal.

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Lathe Tool Carbide Inserts & Holders from Banggood
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 10:17:15 AM »
I would have hoped for a 2.0mm width groove from a MGMN200 insert as the 200 indicates a groove width of 2.0mm.

Problem with bangood is they are the host for many sellers and makers so you could get a half decent tool or you could get one that has not made the grade when put through QC so are sold off cheap by third parties or are just being sold at a low price as money laundering.

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 02:29:08 PM »
What are the insert numbers for each of the tools? I couldn't find any listed on the ad.  Are they going to be readily available?
   ...lew... 

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 05:02:22 PM »
All the codes are in the advert and all standard ISO numbers

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 07:54:35 PM »
I would have hoped for a 2.0mm width groove from a MGMN200 insert as the 200 indicates a groove width of 2.0mm.

...Deleted...

I guessed at the .093" width.  I went back and measured it and the cutoff tip is actually 2.0 mm wide.

Chuck

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 09:36:56 PM »
Well I don't know how good it'll be but thanks to your post and link Chuck I visited Banggood for the first time today.

Result of that is that I ordered what appears to be a reasonable looking inserted face mill on an R8 mandrel for less than 30 pounds and 10 spare inserts for a tenner and post free to boot

Given what Jason says however and that ever present 'Caveat Emptor' feeling I still felt it  was worth a go. So far all the tooling I've bought from Arc Euro for my new mill has more than lived up to expectation - given its cost - so I'm looking forwards to seeing what transpires in a couple of days time on this one.

Thanks Chuck - Ramon
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 07:38:51 AM »
Ramon, I bought a 50mm one a couple of months ago and it is pants :( just gets pushed off cast iron and steel. Will probably try some better quality inserts but don't hold out much hope for it. The head and arbor seem well made though.

There is also a thread at the moment on ME re these type of milling cutters
http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=131785&p=1#PostTop

As I mentioned above the good suppliers such as ARC have their stuff quality checked before it leaves China, some of what you find via Bangood is what does not meet the QC and is sold off cheap.

J
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:47:28 AM by Jasonb »

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 09:30:06 AM »
Hi Jason,

Yes I did read your post on ME - but only after I'd bought it! We'll have to see what transpires, to be fair, I wasn't expecting too much of the tips at the price they are but may be the spares might be a little better.

What sort of cuts (depth) were you putting on for it to push?

So far the 'ole' Chinese mill and the kit I bought for it from Arc has more than lived up to expectation - again, for the price paid - and believe me it has finally seen some concentrated use these weeks past ;)

Regards - Ramon

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 09:33:27 AM »
I have brought many carbide tool holders & tips from China via Fleabay and have not had a duff one yet  :ThumbsUp: Just remember these are industrial tips so don't tickle with them  ;).

As regards large diameter tipped milling cutters I would recommend HJH Tooling: Tony and Helen pick up loads of Bristol Erickson & Swiss tooling and sell them for about £20 including a box of spare tips  8)

Jo

P.S. HJH were also the trader who sold me my automatic boring and facing head for £40  :embarassed:
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 09:37:40 AM »
Ramon

I have bought a 6mmm EM holder MT2 from Ark and also the same from bang good  they both test the same for runout and fit for the 6mm and mt 2 the difference 1/3 the price and 4 weeks to get them here

I have not tried any inserts from them , because I believe its the insert that matters more than the holder

thats my view for what its worth
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 09:41:17 AM »
Link please Jo. or is it file bay

Hope you are feeling better

Stuart

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 10:21:51 AM »
Link please Jo. or is it file bay

HJH? Tony and Helen are one of the few traders who are still truly committed to model engineering and attend our model shows  8) Its no good phoning them as they turn over stuff so fast they couldn't tell you what they have in at any time.

Hope you are feeling better

Stuart

:-[ The "W" word is not helping my recovery :ShakeHead:      And now the :censored:  :censored:  :censored: have told me that my time off for my recovery will impact my pensionable income for the next four years :rant:  So retirement can't come soon enough  :Director:

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 11:43:51 AM »
Well those  :censored:

My only advice is get out and enjoy life , they put in a new engineer in the bank his sole aim was to get rid of the staff ( bear in mind I was an assistant manager grade ) who knew more than he did with constant sniping and 0.01% pay rises I got out as fast as I could .

Until the last day when they had a big failure during the night I arrived at 0700 to find him on site in a right old state , took me all of 5 mins to sort it , his comment was I think we are making a mistake getting rid of you , my reply politely was to late I am off at the end of this shift

Revenge is best served cold

Hope you can sort it out

For the record I use APT for turning and milling cutters and Sandvik for parting off / groving inserts

Stuart

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2017, 01:27:30 PM »
Jo, Stuart, Thanks for the info

I bought this more for the fact that it seemed to good to miss at the price offered. After a near lifetime in a workshop environment I know this will never get used in the manner for which it (fundamentally) is designed. I use carbide tooling very rarely (with the accent on 'very') but it will find it's use no doubt at some stage.

I will run a test on it if only to see if I get the same results as Jason and pop a post up

Regards - Ramon

PS I have to say their (Banggood) service is good both items already dispatched and on their way

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2017, 01:35:57 PM »
Ramon

Getting them January then  :stir:

Stuart

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 03:16:54 PM »
Video being uploaded showing it hammering some CI as I type

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 04:04:17 PM »
Here you go.

Running at about 500rpm and then on the last cut at about 1000rpm (not easy to change the gear into high speed with camera in one hand)

First cut 0.1mm deep, then 0.5mm and then 1.0mm

Shot of worklight to show the vibration and final shot at the end showing the poor surface finish. The better untouched surface was from the 40mm cutter with 3 triangular inserts that I mention on ME.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw2PW4tEsO0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw2PW4tEsO0</a>

And the hairy setup I've been working on today putting a 5degree taper into the valve cavity on teh VJ Monitor

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAuD5zHA9Zc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAuD5zHA9Zc</a>

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 04:58:21 PM »
Someone has a metric cutter and is taking metric cuts  :LittleDevil:

What is it like at 100rpm?

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 05:02:54 PM »
Not only working in metric but did you see I'm working on a real CASTING though not one of those simple steam engine jobbies :lolb: But they are logical metric cuts not imperial ones dressed up to look like metric :LittleDevil:

Don't know about 100rpm will give it a go and report back once I have dug out the taco to see what speed I'm running at.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 05:14:47 PM »
Not only working in metric but did you see I'm working on a real CASTING though not one of those simple steam engine jobbies :lolb:

I did but it won't win any beauty prizes  :ShakeHead:

They are nearly finished and then I am allowed an IC engine or two or three or :facepalm: more decisions which one, which one so many to choose from  :mischief:

Why didn't you just make a tapered reamer and ream that hole  :headscratch:

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 05:26:15 PM »
Could have done but as I needed to do other tapers at different angles further up the hole I decided to machine them and it was only one of each taper not a whole load like your drain cocks.

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=123558&p=17#2265676

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 05:36:31 PM by Jasonb »

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2017, 05:36:53 PM »
try it now

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2017, 05:46:48 PM »
I can see why they are rare  ::)

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2017, 05:53:24 PM »
Not that rare, Doug at Minicastings still has them for sale.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2017, 06:07:45 PM »
Right back onto topic almost

Running at 100-120rpm and with the power feed as slow as it would go which is about 1" per min & 1.0mm depth of cut the finish was better and swarf was 75% chips 25% dust but painfully slow way to remove metal.

At these slow revs with a 50mm dia cutter the machine was close to being stalled so would not want to run it that way for long as the motor would soon overheat. may be a different story on a gear/belt drive machine as well as an industrial old iron one.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2017, 06:13:47 PM »

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2017, 06:52:51 PM »
Strange as it worked for me even when logged out.

This should work but scroll down the page.

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=123558&p=17#PostTop

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2017, 07:36:15 PM »
Strange as it worked for me even when logged out.

This should work but scroll down the page.

http://www.model-engineer.co.uk/forums/postings.asp?th=123558&p=17#PostTop
That worked - thanks!!

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2017, 10:57:39 AM »
Ramon
Getting them January then  :stir:
Stuart

Not that far out Stuart - the cutter arrived this morning but to be fair it did come from Thailand which isn't bad considering it was ordered on the 21st November. The inserts actually arrived on the 24th via royal mail!

First impression is that it looks the part - very nicely made and finished but as ever the proofs in the pudding so will be trying it out in earnest in a day or two to see if it lives up to expectations - mine (in hope) or Jason's (having tried).

I'm now off out but hope to find some time in the shop this afternoon

Regards - Ramon

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2017, 09:03:09 PM »
Well guys, I finally tried the cutter out this morning and have to say I'm well pleased with it's performance.

Didn't use it much but on what I did  it performed very well at a reasonable speed - feed unknown still on hand power!

I don't know if this is what you have Jason but this is what I got for my 27 quid and post free from Thailand. Seems very well machined and the R8 arbor was included. Tip quality is unknown and are different from the ten spares received previously.

I used it to rough down the blank for the crank web. The materiel is UHB11, a bolster plate similar to EN9. I ran it about 550 rpm for 1.0mm depth and twice that for a 0.2mm finishing. Despite the machining lines they were not as deep as the image conveys and cleaned up easily with a fine file and 240 grit wet and dry paper

Overall then money well spent I feel. Not a great outlay for a tool that will from time to time earn it's keep. We'll see how it handles the larger piece of the same material for the con-rod.

Thanks to Chuck for the original post - I think it fair to say I'm a satisfied customer :)

regards - Ramon

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2017, 07:37:22 AM »
Yours is the same basic design but looks to be from a different source as mine came with TiN coated tips and also MT3, this is one of the issues with Bangood as they are a middle man so the items may look the same but can come from several sources, I expect the ones anodized in different colours are also from different factories but all look to be the same head.

I will try mine with some other tips but do have a feeling one tip is doing more work than the others as it sounds more like a flycutter than a tool that should have 4 tips cutting per rev. I did get slightly better results with a slower speed but still had to feed very slowly and at the end of teh cut when only one tip in contact the vibration went up a lot.

If Peter(Gas-mantle) is reading this maybe he could post a photo of te hblock of CI I sent him to show the finish.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2017, 07:50:36 AM »
Hi Jason, yep I'll do that later this morning - a bacon sandwich is first on my list though  ;)

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2017, 09:59:56 AM »
Well apart from the arbor they appear identical Jason.  I certainly didn't have any 'fly cutting' effect and it cut very smoothly with a steady hand feed. Where I cut the taper on the sides of the blank it was a good 2 -3mm deep cut at some point but only 13mm wide of course. There was no protest at that just a need to ease the feed a little.

Have you checked to see if you have any detritus or a burr on one of the tip pockets, that might cause one tooth to sit a tad high.

Overall though I'm happy with it. Now all the cast is finished on the engine this won't get the opportunity on that material for a while but I think I'd prefer to use HSS on cast anyway (unless there's a tough skin or hard spot to deal with when hopefully this will live up to expectation)

Regards - Ramon

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2017, 10:16:47 AM »
I'll have a double check for anything throwing an insert off, I have changed inserts from teh ones supplied tothose from a box of 10 purchased at the same time.

I don't think using carbide is an issue as I get good results with a 40mm 3 tip cutter that uses Tpan inserts set vertically so no rake. That will take much deeper cuts and can be fed a lot faster.

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2017, 11:46:33 AM »
I also bought one of these four insert, side and face mills from Banggood. They appear to be good value for a medium sized slab mill. I needed to make an adapter to fit my BT30 tool holders, but have yet to use it in anger on a real job. I bought a box of ten Mitsubishi inserts for steel and another box of razor sharp highly polished inserts specially for aluminium.

The tool holder is intended to cut with the end face as well as on the side. I can see the insert is tilted backwards by a few degrees which could result in a slight scollop unless the insert is subtly shaped to compensate. Have any members out there used these tool holders to machine the side (edge) of some thickish material? Do they cut a true flat vertical face or is there some scolloping?

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2017, 11:58:56 AM »
Mike,
I have to say I hadn't thought to see how long the side cutting edge is but that's worth investigating. The geometry doesn't suggest it but it's worth checking. Have to go out now but will try later.

Did you purchase those Ali tips from Bang Good or from a more reputable source?

Ramon

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2017, 02:06:00 PM »
Ramon

I also bought a 8mm diameter single inset milling cutter from Banggood. It takes similar 10mm long, as opposed to 16mm long, rectangular inserts. Not tried that one either.

The specialist aluminium inserts are type APGT. The box says Mitsubishi, but who knows what goes on in the far east. They could be genuine Mistubishi or rubbish packaged in a used Mitsubishi box or a complete forgery.

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2017, 03:20:30 PM »
Here are a couple of photos of the cast iron that Jason mentioned earlier.

It's not that easy to photograph the surface texture but I can take more if needed.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 04:27:28 PM by Gas_mantle »

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2017, 05:57:07 PM »
Glad I was wrong on the del date

I am out of action at this time two Saturdays ago I was fine , but Sunday morning at 0300 I woke up in agony pain in lower right belly, 999 called, shovelled into the meat wagon

Arrived at QMC ct scan confirmed burst appendix , they got there stanly knives out and had to remove a section of gut and superglue it up , I came home last Sunday but still a bit wobbly due to a bottle of morphine 250mm by 40mm dia

I am sore but felling not to bad , but WS is out of bounds till all the drugs are gone

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2017, 07:19:47 PM »
Oh - my sympathies on that one Stuart had mine out in my early thirties. Hope you make a speedy recovery and the discomfort (pain) doesn't hang on for too long.

Don't over do the morphine  ;)

Ramon

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2017, 08:43:15 PM »
Thanks
I been off the morphine since last sunday

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2018, 06:44:18 AM »
Just an update.  I found and ordered replacement inserts on Ebay for the ccmt 21.51

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-pcs-MITSUBISHI-Carbide-inserts-CCMT-21-51-CCMT-060204-Grade-UE6020/232626553845?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

and the cutoff tool

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-MGMN200-G-2mm-Carbide-Inserts-for-MGEHR-MGIVR-Grooving-Cut-Off-Tool-US/322411900816?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Reasonable prices and under a week delivery time.  I've used both these tools and the external threading tool.  They work great.

Chuck

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2018, 07:56:50 PM »
A little more to add as Banggood came good!

Pleased with that 50 mm insert cutter I decided to order the same size facing type cutter with the circular inserts. Just £14.50 including delivery but no inserts with it - spare inserts were under a fiver for 10 so I bought some plain and some Tin coated . Arrived in good time but unfortunately they sent me the right inserts but the same cutter head as before  ::)
A couple of emails and a new cutter was on it's way and though requesting a reply paid label they just said keep the other cutter.

So with a very reasonable outlay I now have two nice cutters (plus a spare)

I have tried the new facing cutter with standard inserts to cut the feet for my condenser (En9 equiv) and it dealt with it with ease on a 1mm cut at 1200 revs or so leaving a very smooth finish.

Have to say I'm satisfied with Bangood so far :)

Tug

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2018, 10:49:11 PM »
Hi. What determines whether you use the round or standard?
Thanks.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2018, 08:31:12 AM »
Hi Zee - I think you are referring to the difference between the round and the rectangular? where as I was referring to two different round inserts - plain and TiN Coated.

I've not been a carbide user at home so these are new to me (in the home workshop) and it's a good eighteen years or so since I last used anything like it so - 'laymans' description

The round 'tips' give a much better surface finish but with with a much less depth of cut than can be taken with the rectangular type. The finish off the rectangular, whilst acceptable enough is not comparable to that off the round.

Basically then - rectangular for metal removal,  round for good surface finish

If it's the difference between the plain and coated - the coated will usually last longer or can be driven a bit harder than the plain

Tug

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2018, 01:01:16 PM »
Thanks Tug. That's exactly what I was asking for.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2018, 01:32:07 PM »
Bit of an update on this one.

Clocked the arbor and found that OK, but the head was a loose fit on the 22mm dia which gave about 0.1mm TIR, then tapped it true to about 0.02tir.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VADcnZBcWtE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VADcnZBcWtE</a>

I did another test using the Bangood inserts 1.0mm DOC, 45mm wide piece of cast iron as before and 3 feed rates of approx 200mm/min, 100mm/min and a handfed 50mm/min. as you will see the mill cut out on the two faster feeds and I could only get it to cut by handfeeding which still gave a poor finish.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy94W6nodA8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy94W6nodA8</a>

I then bought some decent tips and it made all the difference, grey PVD coated at the top by Korloy for steel, stainless, exorics and CI and Polished for Ali and non ferrous at the bottom by YG-1. Cuts are the same bit of CI, 32mm wide steel and 45mm wide 6082. 100mm /min feed on teh CI and steel 150mm/min on ali.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqExhVBLKU8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqExhVBLKU8</a>

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal