Author Topic: Home made counterbore, working on Stuart D10  (Read 2075 times)

Offline geoff5269

Home made counterbore, working on Stuart D10
« on: November 16, 2017, 12:21:28 PM »
I decided to tackle a D10 as respite from the more challenging builds I have done recently but I find every build is a new challenge.
All is going quite well but I found I needed to counter bore in a hard to reach flange of the upstand as the curved surface wouldn't let the nuts seat properly.
the tool would have to be at least 80mm long and narrow and I couldn't find anything to buy so I had to try and make one. So I used 5mm silver steel drilled for pilot and then filed 4 teeth onto it and then inserted a pilot. I didn't try to harden it I thought as long as it works for this job that's fine. And it worked and the nuts seat down as they should so it's always worth trying.
I am enjoying working on this engine except for having to convert all the measurements to metric which can lead to errors.
Geoff

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Home made counterbore, working on Stuart D10
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 12:30:23 PM »
Looks like that worked well  :ThumbsUp: Any chance of a pic of the cutting end of the tool?

I am enjoying working on this engine except for having to convert all the measurements to metric which can lead to errors.
Geoff

Its annoying that so many of the model engine designs are showing their age and still use Imperilous measurements  :disappointed: I have a look up chart (attached) that I keep to hand and mark up my drawings in red with modern measurements  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 01:39:52 PM »
That is a very handy spreadsheet, thank you Jo!

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline geoff5269

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »
Jo
Here's a pic of the cutting tool after it's use, lasted long enough to do the job.
Thanks for the conversion chart and BA sizes
Geoff

Offline Chipswitheverything

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 01:14:36 PM »
Hi Geoff, nice to see picture of your Double Ten coming along well.  I'm mucking about with two different No 10V's at the moment, had the bits of one since I was a teenager!, not a recent event! , and have done bits of work on it over the years, the other was a boot sale find with a fair amount missing, like flywheel, box bed....    Though, like you, I have done other and more complex model and toolmaking projects, I'd agree that the humble Stuart 10 has enough to it to give interest and a bit of a challenge.  As a model aimed at the beginner to the hobby, it would, I think,  test the inexperienced model engineer to make a decent "10".  Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal