Author Topic: Colibri Hummingbird Dynamic Sculpture - WIP  (Read 42915 times)

Offline kvom

Re: Colibri Hummingbird Dynamic Sculpture - WIP
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2018, 09:41:15 PM »
After a bit of shopping at Fry's for electrical stuff, I machined the extension for the spreader and mounted the motor.  Tests with the 12V battery I acquired today went well (no magic smoke escaped), so hopefully the next job of connecting the small toggle switch I also bought will allow the power part of the model to be considered complete.  Then I just need to reconnect the wings in order to get a video made.

Offline kvom

« Reply #166 on: February 26, 2018, 11:53:47 PM »
Had a snag in progress today.  I was running it with the motor to get to the point needed to position the wings properly when I noticed that the top cam wasn't turning.  After some disassembly I found that the axle was bent jamming the cam.  I made a new axle and verified that there were no jams before replacing the gear.  All seemed well until it did the same thing.   :cussing:

Now I don't have any more material for the shaft and need to order more.  Next time out I'll remove the motor and turn with the wrench to see if and where it happens. 

Offline kvom

« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2018, 09:30:52 PM »
After remaking the top gear shaft, I reassembled for a beauty shot.

There is still intermittent sticking.  If the motor is running it, then there's enough torque to break the shaft when it sticks, so I've been moving the input gear slowly by hand trying to diagnose the issues.  The fact that the base is temporary prevents Colibri from pivoting as far forward as it should.  I have a big piece of stock enroute on a UPS truck, so I may not do much with it until I can make the proper base.  The tail follower flexes too much from side to side, and that may be an issue to look at.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #168 on: March 01, 2018, 09:50:00 PM »
That is a real beaut!

Have you shared this build with the original designer?

Offline kvom

« Reply #169 on: March 01, 2018, 10:08:26 PM »
I'm going to wait until I have good base and can produce a video with the motor running.  He's aware I'm doing the project.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #170 on: March 01, 2018, 10:33:29 PM »
It looks great Kirk!! I am sure you will track down the bugs and have it running soon.

Bill

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #171 on: March 01, 2018, 11:38:50 PM »
I'm going to wait...

Re: posting a current video. Bummer. Understandable. But bummer. It's a very neat project.
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline kvom

« Reply #172 on: March 06, 2018, 01:25:34 AM »
Managed to make the tail follower less floppy by gluing the brass spacer to the frame.  It's being loose allowed the shaft to flex a bit too much.

I also added some 1/2" hex brass rod to the right side of the input shaft, allowing me to operate Colibri with the speed wrench while being able to see the cams and followers.  I cycled it a couple of times without any jams this way.

Material for the base should be here this week.  I remounted the vacuum chuck on the CNC mill, and measured it flat to within .001" across the surface.

Offline kvom

« Reply #173 on: March 08, 2018, 09:30:29 PM »
I got the base finished over the past two days.  Stock was a 14.375" diameter disk of Mic 6 cast aluminum, 3/8" thick from eBay.  Machined most of it away on the CNC mill using the vacuum chuck for workholding.

I replaced the temporary base with this one after deburring.

I hope to get a video posted before too long, but Colibri construction is essentially finished.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #174 on: March 08, 2018, 09:41:08 PM »
Nice base!

Have the recent tweaks solved the problem with that shaft breaking?

:popcorn:

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #175 on: March 09, 2018, 12:19:43 AM »
If it runs as good as it looks (which I suspect it will), the video will be a real treat!!  Lovely work!!!

Bill

Offline kvom

« Reply #176 on: March 09, 2018, 12:51:26 AM »
I discovered that the shaft problem results from the counterweight touching the table at a point where the bird still needs to rise slightly.  It appears that on a flat surface the weight causes the entire base to tilt back very slightly eliminating the small clearance that exists with the base flat.  If the weight is positioned over the edge of the table all is well.  Adding some weight to the front may solve the problem, or else a sub-base.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #177 on: March 09, 2018, 01:04:31 AM »
I am assuming that the reduced weight of the wood version and a resulting smaller counter-weight didn't factor in as much as far as required clearances in the original design. Seems you have the issue sorted out though.

Bill

Offline kvom

« Reply #178 on: March 09, 2018, 01:44:14 AM »
The counterweight is much larger and heavier.  The length of 3" was only possible by using lead, whereas the wood version uses a brass or steel weight.

Offline kvom

« Reply #179 on: March 16, 2018, 10:31:47 PM »
After 5 days is Las Vegas, I got back in the shop today to make the first video of Colibri in action.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHDfKOT-6tE" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHDfKOT-6tE</a>
« Last Edit: December 28, 2022, 10:19:17 PM by kvom »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal