Author Topic: Not a model engine.  (Read 1058 times)

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
Not a model engine.
« on: January 18, 2023, 12:37:08 PM »
An update for anyone?  wondering where scc went.........Apart from a spell of being poorly I have been sorting out last year's motorcycle purchase. One and a half 1963 250cc Royal Enfields.  The engine of one is nearly complete having had crank regrind, rebore,all new bearings,seals and chains,etc. It has been entertaining as every thing arrived in cardboard boxes, and that included three 5spd and one 4spd gearboxes all COMPLETELY dismantled :headscratch:     Mudguards are away for re-chrome and I will start on stripping / painting frame,etc when warmer weather arrives.
I'm still "resting" from my Murdoch Aitken engine and watching Jo ::)    I plan to fetch out my 2" Clarkson engine next and finish it properly

Belated New Year greetings to everybody.             Terry

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Not a model engine.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2023, 01:51:45 PM »
The engines are looking rather nice

I'm still "resting" from my Murdoch Aitken engine and watching Jo ::)    I plan to fetch out my 2" Clarkson engine next and finish it properly

Sounds like Jo needs to pull her finger out  :-X

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2023, 05:03:08 PM »
Hi SCC, it might be fun to put all those bits in a commercial mixing tub ...press the AI button and see what comes out ??!!! :lolb: :ROFL: :ThumbsUp: :pinkelephant:

Willy

« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 07:20:53 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2023, 09:03:21 PM »
I'm guessing that it is the same Engine that you show from both sides in the first two pictures Terrry ....  :noidea:

If so, I would say the result looks Fantastic so far  :praise2:

But I'm also glad that it wasn't me that had to 'Sort the Boxes' (been there before) to find the best / matching parts ....  :facepalm2:

I'm sure that it will be a fantstic result - but also glad it won't be me riding it with the Olde British Swapped Brake and Gear Pedals  :wallbang:
Why - well I have experienced loosing BOTH Brakes @ the End of the Straigt (on MotoX Track - with RailRoad Track just behind the Corner) - Just as I was about to Hit them  :hellno:  :Mad:
Instinct took over and I Stepped on the 'Brake Pedal' => going from Third to Top Gear  :rant:  :Director:
Less than a Second (or there about) I 'Voluntary' Chrashed the Bike (Yanking the Bar ALL the way to the Right) => I landed (stopped) less the 5m (15') from the Railroad Track  :hammerbash:

Lesson Learned :
Never ride a bike where you know (or are told) that there might be a Brake Problem + not one where Instinct might get you into even more Trouble => I only ride Bikes with the Gearshift on the Left side now.

Still I would Love to see more pictures from your Project Terry :Love:

Per         :cheers:

Online Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2023, 09:18:03 PM »
Hello Per

Steve always had different ideas.  :Lol: :Lol:

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2023, 01:22:03 AM »
 :LittleDevil: :LittleDevil: :LittleDevil:

Edit :  My Mechanic / local Motorcycle Dealer used to complain, that I don't wear my brakes like I used to (the Disks & Pads last way too long) and my reply ; I'm not riding fast enough to need them much nowadays  :LittleDevil:
My example : I usually approch one of the local Round'a'bouts with about 90Km/h (~55mph) and shortly before entering I just drop down 3 gears, aim and when I'm next to first 'exit' - start opening the Throttle and exit the second .... No Brakes involved.
99% of the Cars going through the same Round'a'bout do 30-40Km/h (~20-25mph) ....

But as my age increases and gas prices rises -> speed has being going further down  :-\

Per
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 12:29:16 PM by Admiral_dk »

Offline Grateful Ted

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2023, 04:32:48 PM »
Admiral, yeah the swapped sides shift & brake lever issue got me a few times too.
Had a couple of Japanese bikes, a BMW R100 & a ‘74 Norton Commando, (last year of RH shift, LH rear brake.)
And also, 1st gear was UP on the Commando.
This caused a couple interesting moments when riding different bikes.
I finally solved the problem by thinning the herd.
I only have one M/C now.
Yes I know, the proper number of motorcycles to own is always one more than you already have.
But I’ve found as I age I have to simplify my life.
YMMV, GT

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal