Author Topic: Cam Grinding on a Clarkson  (Read 2009 times)

Offline cwelkie

Cam Grinding on a Clarkson
« on: November 13, 2017, 06:54:16 PM »
As many of you will remember, I've been poking along building a 1/4 scale Cirrus.  The project had reached the point of making the camshaft; one of the few parts left to "manufacture".

A few years back I'd spent a number of enjoyable hours reviewing Achim's (Fumopoc) website including the rocking style of cam grinder accessory he made for his own T&C grinder.  His beautiful grinder accessory design stuck with me.  I wanted to try grinding the cam for the Cirrus (vs. eccentric turning or milling).  Putting this together with Achim's design and a Clarkson T&C grinder I managed to acquire Clarkson T&C grinder some years back resulted in my own nifty grinder accessory.

For the curious, the master template was drawn in Fusion 360 and printed using Cura and my 3D printer (TEVO Black Widow).  I was skeptical at first but found that by using a skim of plastic model filler on the edge followed by a light sanding a smooth surface could easily be achieved.

Thank you Achim for being so generous with your original design and to all the others who replicated it or struck out on their own.  It was quite satisfying to see the camshaft take shape after all the weeks of spare time sketching, fabricating and waiting for drive components.

Charlie

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
Re: Cam Grinding on a Clarkson
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 08:18:05 PM »

For the curious, the master template was drawn in Fusion 360 and printed using Cura and my 3D printer (TEVO Black Widow).  I was skeptical at first but found that by using a skim of plastic model filler on the edge followed by a light sanding a smooth surface could easily be achieved.

That is cunning! I would never had thought of that...

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
Re: Cam Grinding on a Clarkson
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 11:58:40 AM »
first class camshaft at the end, wow !
I see that the cam follower is the large part in brass, and the profile cut is "tangential", but on some engine plan, cam follower are too small for being fully tangential, and the distribution diagram is therefore not truly respected, and I wonder if this drawback can be corrected with such an enlarged cam to keep the distribution in agreement with the valve diagram.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal