Help! > Tooling Review

Rubbish Digital Caliper

(1/4) > >>

simplyloco:
I needed to replace my ageing digital caliper as the repeatability was getting iffy. I bought this shiny silver one from Amazon and tried it on a known dimension, i.e. some workshop grade gauge blocks at 1.75". You can see the result in the picture. In addition, the tips are rough, still with burrs on and it feels very cranky! I know it was only 20, but that is twice the price of the one it was intended to replace! BTW it got 64 five star reviews on Amazon: perhaps they aren't as picky as me! I wonder what these people are making...
I'm doing the returns note right now! :Mad:
John

WP_20171113_12_16_41_Pro[1] by inkaboat, on Flickr

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01N7CW7LQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gas_mantle:
John,

It looks very similar to the one I have that cost about the same price.

On the one I have I can zero it with the jaws closed take a couple of measurements then when I recheck the reading with the jaws closed it can be out by +/- 0.05 mm. To be fair though it is fine as a cheap instrument for getting a rough measurement to let me know when I'm closing in on the size I want.

AOG:
The cheap ones are rubbish in terms of repeatability, durability and battery life. Even the low end Fowlers aren't that good. I would spend the money on a good set of mitutoyo digital calipers and be done with it.

Tony

simplyloco:

--- Quote from: AOG on November 13, 2017, 12:54:04 PM ---The cheap ones are rubbish in terms of repeatability, durability and battery life. Even the low end Fowlers aren't that good. I would spend the money on a good set of mitutoyo digital calipers and be done with it.

Tony

--- End quote ---

Agreed: I'll be going that way.Trouble is, there is an alarming number of 'Mitutoyo' calipers out there of dubious origin!
I'm with G_M in that I confirm all my serious measurements with micrometers.
John

ShopShoe:
"BTW it got 64 five star reviews on Amazon"

I believe that there are people who will write positive (or negative, for that matter) reviews for anything for a fee, whether they know anything about the product or not. I tend to only skim through reviews and take them with a grain of salt. Just my opinion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version