Author Topic: Ruston-Bucyrus (Steam) Shovels  (Read 3562 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Ruston-Bucyrus (Steam) Shovels
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 01:17:35 PM »
Good start on the drawings, the tracks look like they will be interesting to mill out, but at least no undercut areas. The patent drawings can be a real gold mine on those early machines, they seemed to depict the parts as made more than the modern ones which show concepts more than actual shapes.

:popcorn:

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2018, 09:03:26 AM »
Its about time I posted some of the drawing work I have acheived whilst studying the information I have managed to accumulate.
Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equal.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2018, 03:25:09 PM »
Excellent! Been looking forward to seeing the 3d!   :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Steam Haulage

• Notts UK
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 11:20:17 AM »
Attached is the index diagram from the R-B parts book which defines the absolute centre distance between the drive sprocket and the tension roller of the caterpillar tracks of the 19 RB. The measurement in the specification provided to the War Office quotes 8 7. Once a metric figure was added it was 2.63m. A slightly inexact conversion 2.63 m ≡ 2,628.90mm.  of little significance to me.
The spec was provided to the War Office for purchases made during and after WWII at a time before pocket calculators. Perhaps their draughtsmen did the conversion (see below) using a guessing stick or perhaps 4 figure tables rather than 6 or 9 figure.
Somewhat off topic but might be the source of confusion and many errors in the switch by many countries to the metric system might be the following

After 1898, the de facto legal definition of the yard came to be accepted as 36⁄39.370113 of a meter. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yard
In turn the inch has, for a long time, been defined as 1/36th of a yard.
and

The (international) inch has been exactly 25.4 mm since July 1959. At this point in time the (international) yard was redefined as 0.9144 metre - until this time the ratio between the US yard and the metre was different to the ratio between the UK yard and the metre. For more information, see Engineering Metrology by K J Hume (2 ed) Macdonald London 1967. The American inch changed by 2 millionths of an inch and the UK inch by 1.7 millionths of an inch. The international inch falls mid way between the old UK and US inch. http://www.npl.co.uk/reference/faqs/
Dogs look up to you, cats look down on you, pigs treat you as equal.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 12:55:51 PM »
Conversion rounding aside, that sort of diagram is a great rind, lots of detail there.

:popcorn: