Author Topic: Hello from Florida  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Humphreymachineworks

• Machinist, fine artist, classical musician, etc.
Hello from Florida
« on: November 11, 2017, 03:19:46 PM »
Howdy, and thanks for welcoming me to the group. I am about 1.5 years into my studies to become a machinist, building my home shop, and my current project is building a Manson engine. I am 31 years old and my background is varied, consisting of different periods of intense study on different topics. As a kid I stayed occupied studying music, playing guitar, and studying the techniques of of the masters in many different genres, as well as studying art and realism. I worked my way up the pole until I found classical music and haven't played much else since. I apprenticed under a master of tattooing right out of high school and within a couple years I moved to Costa Rica, opened up a shop where I specialized in portraits and realism(the machines were designed and made by my teacher, an ex toolmaker), and dedicated all of my time to the classical guitar when not working, with aspirations to travel and compete abroad. I moved back to the states and got into long distance precision rifle shooting, which brought me to reloading match grade ammo which requires a number of precise operations done to the used brass casings. That rabbit hole led me to the machining trade, of which I was completely unfamiliar until then. One day I saw a video of "The Writer" automaton, a a machine made in the 1700's that looks like a doll and replicates human movement...and that was it. The solution to realizing my ideas and inventions in real life was before me. I knew at that very moment I wouldn't stop until I could do the same. Now, my full time day job is doing CAD design for a construction company for their remodeling projects, and working on my shop and projects all other times. I have been learning all of the old school machining aspects with little to no interest in modern CNC. Currently in my shop i have a 1968 South bend heavy 10 toolroom lathe, a 1942 Burke Horizontal Mill with its vertical head, an old south bend floor model drill press;  a good bit of tooling and other inspection/ layout equipment. Been making lots of jigs, fixtures, and tools that I need as I learn. Reading quite a bit on mechanisms and transfer of movement and now here I am indulging in model engines. I thrive in environments where I am surrounded by greater knowledge and receive criticism very well. Sorry for the long winded post. I'm looking forward to learning from you guys and will share pictures of my Manson engine as it comes along. Jesse

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
Re: Hello from Florida
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 03:25:09 PM »
Many thanks for the intro Jesse. It's great to see someone younger that has an interest in model engines and learning the classic ways of doing things. By all means keep us up to date on your Manson build and again, welcome to the forum!!

Bill

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 05:58:31 PM »
Hi there Jesse,
Welcome to MEM.  This is a great forum to read and learn, a great place to share what you're doing, and a great place to share your knowledge with others.  Looking forward to seeing more of what you're working on.
Kim

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 01:55:53 AM »
Hi Jesse, welcome to MEM!

Dave

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 02:22:23 AM »
I am so pleased to see someone, younger than my son, display such passion for model engineering. Even if you aren't making a model it's still the greatest thing.

Welcome!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 03:20:51 AM »
Jesse,
I look forward to seeing your sterling engine.
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 04:41:14 AM »
Hi Jesse and welcome to MEM.

Vince

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal