Author Topic: OH NO! Vern's Back  (Read 4369 times)

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
OH NO! Vern's Back
« on: November 10, 2017, 06:53:12 PM »
Where’s Waldo Vern?

OK. OK. I’m back.
Where was I?

I had to do it.
Jump off the forum cold turkey. I had this list of things that I either absolutely had to do or really wanted to do and I realized that I couldn’t stop reading damn near every post on MEM.
Jeez, if Zee makes a sandwich there are 21,312 views and 1,863 comments. That takes time.
Cletus has been keeping me up to date with the gossip and other juicy tidbits.
That said, what have I been doing?

Let’s begin with the S4. (Simpson and Shipton Short Stroke)
With the “unusual” oval cylinder, this seemed like a good project to REALLY learn CNC.

Much experimentation with a great deal of learning

Next, our son has started a new business (bespoke bicycle tours in the Atlanta area.) I’ve been helping out with graphics, video editing, etc.

Then, in random Youtube wanderings, I saw people playing homebuilt busker organs. After a bit of poking around, I found John Smith in Flitwick, Bedfordshire, England and ordered a set of drawings.

http://www.johnsmithbusker.co.uk/busker.html

All pipes are now completed along with one of the three bellows.

Fred, who got me started in engine building, had a birthday coming up and had mentioned that his tap holders were a bit big for tiny taps. Nothing for it but to make a copy of a Starrett # 174

I needed to make some trim rings for recessed lighting in the bedroom. .0625 aluminum.
I could have used double stick tape to hold them for cutting on the CNC mill but that would have been too easy which led to making a vacuum chuck.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usIPnig_bhs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usIPnig_bhs</a>

After buying screws that I already had (but couldn’t find), it was time to do a proper organization 

A few rebuild/restorations were waiting.

A Wilton Bullet Vise and a Brown and Sharpe knurling tool.

My wife’s birthday was approaching and since she does a great deal of the grilling, a new Weber seemed in order. I made a nameplate for her to match the Weber plate (more CNC)

While lying in bed one night (where I get many of my ideas) I was thinking about using the CNC to cut gaskets. This led to three iterations of a drag knife.

Last week, with the S4 engine sitting on the bench waiting for me to locate the point where it’s binding, a “quick” project seemed like a good idea. I’d always meant to build Elmer’s #50 Educational Model. Here we are as of yesterday.

Various other activities interspersed here and there. Upgrading the home automation system to current technology, some volunteering at the new Museum of the American Revolution, (SPOILER ALERT! We won), Fred’s twice yearly Gun Day and the weekly banjo lesson.

Thanks so much to everyone who asked if I was OK. That is much appreciated.
So, I’m back (perhaps to the chagrin of many)

Best,
Stan

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: OH NO! Vern's Back
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 07:04:21 PM »
Great to have you back!   :cartwheel:

Amazing how much you can get done when you don't have to read about Zee's dinner... (No offense Zee, waiting for you to be back here full time too!)

Looks like you were having a great time!

Offline Tennessee Whiskey

• Springfield, Tennessee. USA
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 07:44:26 PM »
In Cletus speak with tongue in cheek: “ Well it’s about damn time; Hell, I thought we had run your ass off for good  :lolb: :lolb:. Great to have you back Vern. Looks like you’re staying busy and having fun. Now, get your butt back on here with us and enjoy teh wonderful builts  8) and Jason and Jo’s ever ongoing harassment of each other. If you’re into thermodynamics, we have a graduate level course going on and on the other end of the spectrum, Chuck Fellows has just built two of the nicest finger treadle engines I’ve ever laid eyes on. Anyhoo, don’t be a stranger Vern, in other words: “ Don’t make have to call some of the family up in Philly, capisci?  :lolb: :lolb: Hmmm, wonder what Zee and T are having for dinner tonight? :lolb: :lolb:. Tell Fred, Glenna, and Scott hey and how they doing.

Cletus
Close Enuf Machine Shop
Springbucket Div.

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 07:46:11 PM »
Welcome back!
I am now exhausted looking at all your work over the absence.

My own absence will continue a bit longer, but there are a few things to show.

Off to make a cappuccino
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 07:58:13 PM »
Welcome back Stan!!!  :whoohoo:  Glad to see you weren't languishing away in your absence. Lots to catch up with  both on the forum and with all the things you have been up to as well!!  Will will be needing lots more pics of these projects of course.  :popcorn:

Bill

Offline vcutajar

• Marsascala, MALTA
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 08:42:55 PM »
Stan

You have been really busy.

Vince

Offline 90LX_Notch

• North Eastern Pennsylvania USA
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2017, 09:02:00 PM »
I was wondering what happened to you Stan.  I was planning on pinging you to see if everything is okay.  Glad to hear that all is well and that you have just been busy.

-Bob
Proud Member of MEM

My Engine Videos on YouTube-
http://www.youtube.com/user/Notch90usa/videos

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2017, 11:12:58 PM »
Hey Stan,
Nice to see what you've been up to!  Hope you're back and ready to settle in again :)
We've missed you!
Kim

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2017, 12:10:51 AM »
Stan Stan my main man Stan!   

I thought it was much ado about nothing.......Glad to see you're having fun, and how come you haven't brought me shooting!

Cabin Fever baby!

Dave
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2017, 12:55:03 AM »
Hey Stan

Glad to see that you have been keeping busy and getting some shop time.
Now what ever happened to Zee and that new shop?  :naughty:

Welcome back,
Dave

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2017, 03:27:55 AM »
Well that's all fine Stan................but what else have you been doing in your spare (?) time?  :lolb:

I really enjoyed the little photo essay.

What kind of banjo do you play?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2017, 01:19:44 PM »
Thanks for the welcome back.
Steamer, I’ll see it when I believe it at CF. Fred’s next Gun Day will be in April. Open invitation to you and Cletus.
Jim , bluegrass on a 1967 Gibson RB-100
Best,
Stan

Offline ShopShoe

• Central Iowa, Central USA
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 02:08:50 PM »
Stan,

Welcome back. I've been hoping your absence was not due to illness.

I got a chuckle out of the elevator cartoon: My "It gets worse..." would be with an accordion in addition to the banjo. (No insult intended, I know several players of both instruments.)

I'm hoping you give us a detailed tour of the CNC system some day as it looks like something I would do if I ever was forced to move my hobbies into the house or to an apartment. I know you put a lot of thought into the design and execution of everything, so I know I'd like it.

Best wishes for more projects and (hopefully) more posts here.

ShopShoe

Offline sshire

• LS Editions
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2017, 01:03:49 PM »
Shop
Thanks. No illness, just needed to get too many things off of my plate.
I can certainly do a post about my mini mill CNC and what I’ve learned in nearly a year. I’ll think about what I’d change if I were doing it again.
Best,
Stan

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2017, 01:22:08 PM »
Thanks for the welcome back.
Steamer, I’ll see it when I believe it at CF. Fred’s next Gun Day will be in April. Open invitation to you and Cletus.
Jim , bluegrass on a 1967 Gibson RB-100

I'm going!....
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal