Author Topic: Bitza Version of Bill's Rotary Beam Engine  (Read 6134 times)

Offline bwal

Re: Bitza Version of Bill's Rotary Beam Engine
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2017, 09:54:45 PM »
Hi,

Did the connecting rod for the crank disc.  I don't have any soldering equipment at home so had to make do with expoy resin.  Not sure how it will go.  I won't be running it on steam so may hold up. 

Ben.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2017, 10:19:57 PM »
Time will tell Ben. Those pockets in the ends are not deep, but they may hold. You could always make one from  solid bar stock too. Still following along.

Bill

Offline bwal

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2017, 09:45:40 AM »
Made a couple of snafu's today.

Started work on the links.  I had to cut up some 1/4" brass plate to make it square.

I made the bottom link first without any problems.  When I made it I remember thinking to myself I should drill the holes first before milling out the slot.

Next I started on the upper link, I drilled out the 1/16" holes and milled out the first slot, I turned it upside down and spun it around holding the milled slot in the vice and pop I broke it.

Not happy. I then looked at the the upper link and its bent as well. Really not happy now.  I start again on the links tomorrow.

Ben.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 02:43:21 PM »
Ben, while the legs aren't super strong, the slots in the upper link are at right angles, so even in the vise you should be bearing against metal across the vise opening. Maybe try using shorter parallels so the part sits deeper in the vise, especially if using an end mill to machine the slot. Hope the second time goes better for you.

Bill

Offline bwal

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 09:15:18 AM »
HI,

Finished the links.  I don't know what I was thinking, I must have been pre-occupied. I was holding the piece wrong. Anyway did it.  I'm not happy with the connecting rod so I'm going to cut a 7 BA thread on it and tap the discs.

Ben.

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 11:42:41 AM »
Getting closer now Ben and looks good!! Still following along.

Bill

Offline bwal

« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2017, 08:08:46 AM »
 HI,

I'm still working on the beam engine.... The Ashes Series (Cricket for all the non believers) started, I had to go back to work for a couple of weeks, then the Xmas parties started, then I did some other work stuff etc.. etc..

I've also been held up on the linkages.  I tried tapped a  9 BA thread on some oversized brass with some varied results.  Finally got one attempt to work but not really up to scratch.  I'm thinking of buying some 1.8 mm brass from the UK but that will add a couple of weeks to the project.

Merry Christmas
Ben.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2017, 09:32:15 AM »
The Ashes Series (Cricket for all the non believers) started,

It looks like the Aussies are trying to give the Brits a "white" Xmas with another whitewash   ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline bwal

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2018, 06:15:22 AM »
Hi,

Still struggling along.  I bought some soldering stuff and this is my first attempt in soldering in a loonngg time....

I think it's going to take me some practice.

Ben

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2018, 03:44:09 PM »
That doesn't look bad Ben. Soft solder should be sufficient for that application too. The main thing is that they are perpendicular. You should be getting close now  :)

Bill

Offline bwal

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 08:32:30 AM »
Hi,

I've put the build on hold for awhile.  I hit a brick wall with the linkages and soft soldering them. So re-arranged the shed for awhile and made a drawbar for the mill and now making another one.  Soon the tick in the back of my head will get the better of me and I'll finish the beam engine.

Ben

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal