Author Topic: Just been to collect my new toy - a Tubal Cain 5" vertical boiler  (Read 9200 times)

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
Couldn't resist showing my new toy  :)

It's a 5" dia Tubal Cain designed boiler with 51 fire tubes a super heater and steam blower. The intention is to use it coal fired to power the small models I've built so far, as yet I haven't fired it up but hope to give it a go tomorrow (probably on gas for the first few goes).

Can't wait to start shovelling coal in to it  :)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Just been to collect my new toy - a Tubal Cain 5" vertical boiler
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 06:35:47 PM »
Wow, that is a pretty boiler! Who made it? Very nice!!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 06:38:42 PM »
Very nice...almost a shame to get coal dust on it :)

Bill

Offline pgp001

• West Yorkshire - UK
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 08:15:01 PM »
Peter

I see you got it at last, it looks to be a nice job.
Do you think it would suit it to paint the copper in heat resistant matt black ?, it might look more representative of a full size one.

I bet you got a few strange looks carrying that home on the train.  :o

Phil

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 08:18:42 PM »
Thanks guys, I've just given it a quick run on a ceramic gas burner which is far too small at 2 1/2" but it still got up to 90psi very quickly - I didn't time it but I reckon it goes from about 20 - 90 psi in less than a minute  :) even with the undersize burner. Once I'm a bit more familiar with it I'll try it on coal and post a video if anyone is interested.

Crueby - I had it made to order by a local model boiler maker (I'm in the UK) he tested it and gave me the necessary certificate etc.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 08:23:13 PM »
Hi Phil,

I'm thinking of painting the fire hole and making a round base for it to sit in then painting them matt black - not sure about the top plate.

I really need a better pump though, the 3/8ths ram hand pump I have at the moment will do the job but needs a lot of use to keep up.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 08:28:22 PM »
It got up to that pressure that quick with water in it? If so, that burner is quite adequate!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 08:42:40 PM »
 8) that looks nice.

Couldn't resist showing my new toy  :)

It's a 5" dia Tubal Cain designed boiler with 51 fire tubes a super heater and steam blower. The intention is to use it coal fired to power the small models I've built so far, as yet I haven't fired it up but hope to give it a go tomorrow (probably on gas for the first few goes).

I am sure your only got it today Peter  :noidea:

Thanks guys, I've just given it a quick run on a ceramic gas burner which is far too small at 2 1/2" but it still got up to 90psi very quickly - I didn't time it but I reckon it goes from about 20 - 90 psi in less than a minute  :)

Doesn't time fly a whole day - in less than two hours   :lolb:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2017, 12:20:40 AM »
Yup, it reached that pressure with water no problem  :)

The thing is Jo, one can get  a bit excited by ones new toy and feel the urge to give it a quick test  ;)

Anyway, I reckon you need to head up the M1 with your 5a so we can see it running on proper mucky coal with lashings of oil - compressed air is for cissies  ;)

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2017, 02:52:49 AM »
Hi Gas Mantle,

What a beautiful boiler.  Congratulations.  Good idea to buy one with a certificate, sure to make it easier to keep on side with the inspector for club events.  I have to admit that despite making two of my own boilers, I also bought one for that reason.  Glad you started it on gas, nice to keep it beautiful for a bit longer before that mucky coal, but also nice to have the option.  And it will be interesting to compare the performance with the different fuels.

I am with Chris, that is a very quick start up.  How much water does it hold?  Try how much steam it makes in 10 or 15 minutes, or time it to reach low water level, that will confirm the burner size.

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2017, 03:14:07 AM »
Hi MJM,

It only holds about 1.3 ltrs so it seems to raise pressure very quickly but it is thirsty.

I'm in the UK and it was late in the evening when I got it home so I haven't really had time to assess it properly but  I'll have a bit more time to try it tomorrow
« Last Edit: November 09, 2017, 03:21:02 AM by Gas_mantle »

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 01:50:00 PM »
Thanks guys, I've just given it a quick run on a ceramic gas burner which is far too small at 2 1/2" but it still got up to 90psi very quickly - I didn't time it but I reckon it goes from about 20 - 90 psi in less than a minute  :) even with the undersize burner. Once I'm a bit more familiar with it I'll try it on coal and post a video if anyone is interested.

Crueby - I had it made to order by a local model boiler maker (I'm in the UK) he tested it and gave me the necessary certificate etc.

G' day Gas_mantle,

Absolutely beautiful boiler. Was that a Stuart ceramic gas burner that you used?

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 03:59:58 PM »
Thanks Thomas it's a burner from Polly models that I'm using but I think they are all pretty much the same thing.

I've had a go on coal this afternoon and it's a great steamer but with the small pump I have it's hard work keeping up with the water demand.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 06:09:55 PM »
Sounds like your next build should be a feed pump!

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 06:57:04 PM »
Sounds like your next build should be a feed pump!

Yea, definitely - the one I have is no good for what I want to do, it can cope with making sure the boiler doesn't run dry but struggles to keep up when I'm using lots of steam.

I'm a bit undecided whether to buy a larger hand pump or whether to make a steam pump from castings. I'd prefer a steam pump but I'm led to believe they can be difficult to make and I'm not expert.

Has anyone got any thoughts about the 3" version on this page :-

http://www.southworthengines.com/steam-feed-pumps/vertical-steam-pumps/

It's only £35 in the UK but I wonder how easy it is to make one that will run well and deliver enough water agains  90 psi of boiler pressure ?

I'd be interested in knowing what other members use etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal