Author Topic: Round bar  (Read 1806 times)

Offline wirralcnc

Round bar
« on: November 04, 2017, 08:16:02 AM »
Hope someone can help. I'm looking for a source of round bar to make ba studs. Don't really want to use threaded rod. Some sizes are common some less so. I'm having trouble finding 8ba 0.086".

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Round bar
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2017, 08:24:50 AM »
Threaded rod studs :vomit:

Real studs are not made from threaded rod  :hellno:

I turn all of my studs from standard stock material. Rule of thumb I do not use any material under 3mm: This is because it has a tendency to bend if you stick it out of the chuck and attempt to cut it. 

I have happily made 12BA and 14BA studs out of 3mm diameter 303 Stainless  ;D

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2017, 08:40:56 AM »
Make a running down tool or small dia turning tool and just run down a 12" length of 3/32 or 2.5 rod, you will then have a length of stock of the right dia to make studs from. Far quicker than trying to turn down the end of a rod for each stud.

ChuckKey

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 09:51:12 AM »
I use a bush steady for this.

It is a form of (home made) travelling steady, but instead of fingers it has a hole into which you clamp a slice of brass bar as a sacrificial guide bush, drilled and reamed in-situ for each job.

The precision of the resulting rod does depend on starting with reasonably round stock.

Turning stock this small is best done at top speed, but then the length you can machine at one go is limited by the risk of whirling. I have found with mild steel for 6 BA (0.110"), the maximum projection from the bush is about 4".

Offline Andy

• Hitchin, Herts, Uk
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 10:33:01 AM »
Hi, Not sure if this is the kind of thing you are thinking about, but looks like a perfect way to reduce stock

[youtube1]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvERU6mpX88[/youtube1]

Offline wirralcnc

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 11:06:56 AM »
Thanks everyone. Looks ideal

simplyloco

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 11:53:41 AM »
I've been meaning to make this for some years now! It's handy because it fits in the tool post, unlike the rather cumbersome travelling steady types.
I have a small roller box, but it is just tooo fiddly!

boxtool1 by inkaboat, on Flickr

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal