Author Topic: How do you paint your engines ?  (Read 5567 times)

Offline Rustkolector

Re: How do you paint your engines ?
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 07:16:16 PM »
Gas_mantle,
Sorry, I did not realize you were in the UK. KG Industries Gun Kote protective coatings are not currently sold in the UK according to their website although Viking Arms in Harrogate does appear to distribute other KG Industries products. You might want to try some of the other baking gun coatings offered by Brownell's in the UK. They are all pretty tough coatings.
Jeff

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 02:22:25 AM »
Gas_mantle,
Sorry, I did not realize you were in the UK. KG Industries Gun Kote protective coatings are not currently sold in the UK
Jeff

No probs Jeff, thanks for your help and to everyone else who offered advice.

It kinda sounds like I'll get some improvement just by starting to use a primer  :)

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 08:20:25 PM »
The thing that a lot of people do not realize is that most paints are not designed to stick to bare metal, they don't have enough of the proper binders.  Paints are usually designed to stick to primers, the primers are designed to stick to the bare metal.

Don

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 08:28:05 PM »
Thanks Don, I hadn't really thought too much about primers still I started asking questions here.

The next question is what kind of black paint do I need to paint a small boiler - the one I have is wood cladded but I want to paint the fire hole door and the base.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 08:41:37 PM »
Stove paint works well, the Thermacure has not burnt of my flame licker

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 09:04:01 PM »
I've just ordered a few odds from Maidstone Engineering and thought about adding this to my order :-

http://www.maidstone-engineering.com/paint/paint-spray-brush/aerosol-black-matt-heat-proof-400m-for-use-on-boilers-up-to-650deg-c

At the moment I'm still figuring out what to make as a boiler base ring so don't need to paint just yet but it looks like the kinda stuff I need.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 06:23:39 PM »
Look like it's good up to 650°C so temperature shouldn't be much of an issue.  If you want a color other than matt black try looking for exhaust manifold/brake caliper paint.  Those paints are usually rated to the same temperature.  You'll also find listings for BBQ paint, but that will usually just be matt black so not much help there on different colors.  650°C puts you real close to the melting point of aluminum so that should handle normal boiler firebox operating temperatures.

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal