Author Topic: Very detailed series of videos by Find Hansen on building a diesel model engine  (Read 4522 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
I heartily recommend you watch this series of 3 videos published by Find Hansen.  In them, he describes the assembly of a model, true diesel engine including detailed explanations of how the varies parts work.  Very instructional and very enlightening, not to mention inspirational!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIw4rKFBlgA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIw4rKFBlgA</a>

Chuck
So many projects, so little time...

Offline Bjorn_B

• Sweden
Thanks, that is quite something! Saw his hotbulb engine videos a few years back, he was just starting experimenting with a pure diesel back then

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Chuck, what is the meaning of 'true' diesel engine - are most I see 'fake' ones?   :noidea:

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
Nice to see Finn finally give some info on how he managed to make a real diesel engine - thank you very much for bringing this to my attention Chuck  :ThumbsUp:

The "Fake Diesels" are for instance the beloved CI ( compression ignition ) engines used in Aero models, where the fuel is in the air (as a gas) during inlet from a carburettor, and the fuel (usually Ether) starts the combustion - a true diesel engine has an fuel injector in the cylinder head and only compress air and the injected fuel starts the combustion when it meets the hot (from the compression) air. I hope this isn't clear as mud  :???:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Nice to see Finn finally give some info on how he managed to make a real diesel engine - thank you very much for bringing this to my attention Chuck  :ThumbsUp:

The "Fake Diesels" are for instance the beloved CI ( compression ignition ) engines used in Aero models, where the fuel is in the air (as a gas) during inlet from a carburettor, and the fuel (usually Ether) starts the combustion - a true diesel engine has an fuel injector in the cylinder head and only compress air and the injected fuel starts the combustion when it meets the hot (from the compression) air. I hope this isn't clear as mud  :???:
Very clear, thanks!

Offline Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
Thank you for the link  :) I need to study how he has made it work  :headscratch:
Best regards

Roger

Online gbritnell

When I first saw his videos years back I was blown away by first the expert craftsmanship and second that he could get a diesel engine that small to run. I contacted him through Youtube and asked if he would be willing to share his modeling knowledge and that I was willing to pay for drawings or information.
He was polite enough to answer me but basically stated that he wasn't willing to share his techniques.
I will watch the videos and see how comprehensive they are.
His engines are masterpieces of model engineering.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
Just had a peek at the video he gives a fair bit of info on the injector , I note that the pump is a separate unit that is not discussed ,

But he does get a good spray pattern , good enough for a model ,because his engines do perform well

My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal