Author Topic: Small Abrasive Cutoff Tool  (Read 1735 times)

Offline cfellows

• Rest In Peace
Small Abrasive Cutoff Tool
« on: October 30, 2017, 03:57:31 AM »
I'm sure I'm the only person on this forum guilty of this, but frequently I'll build a tool and complete it only to the stage where it satisfies a need.  Such is the case with this little cutoff saw. 

It takes a 3" x .040" disk and is powered by a 20,000 RPM AC/DC motor from the power head of a vacuum cleaner.  It's on a speed control so I can dial it down to whatever RPM I need.  It allowed me to shorten screws and other small stock, but work holding was a problem as was getting an accurate length.  So, finally I decided it was time to amp it up some.  Here are a couple of drawings of where I'm headed.

And here's where I'm at as of this evening...

The tool holder assembly was inspired by the Quorn tool & cutter grinder.  I cut the little bearing blocks out of brass to accommodate a 3/8" shaft. 

The shaft is threaded on on end so I can make relative fine axial adjustments of the tool.  An adjustable collar will be installed on the rod beside the swing arm to provide a positive, adjustable stop.  Here are some pictures showing how I made the bearing blocks on my CNC mill / drill.

Here I've separated off one of the blocks on my band saw.

I finished  them up milling the saw-cut side smooth and flat.

The actual tool holder will be some kind of small vise for clamping work securely and I'll actually try to come up with sever interchangeable holders for different shaped stock.  I also plan to use this as a grinding tool with very small stones, being ever mindful of the serious RPM's this thing cranks out.  Don't want no stinkin' grindstone flying apart on me!!!

Chuck

So many projects, so little time...

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Small Abrasive Cutoff Tool
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 07:46:11 AM »
Don't want no stinkin' grindstone flying apart on me!!!

May be worth adding some gaurding to that disk then :o

Offline Pete49

• top of the gulf SA, Gateway to the Flinders Ranges
Re: Small Abrasive Cutoff Tool
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 04:08:04 AM »
or even guarding  :ROFL:
ok back in my box  :cheers:
Pete
I used to have a friend.....but the rope broke and he ran away :(....Good news everybody I have another friend...I used chain this time :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal