Author Topic: Stuart Progress Engine Crankshaft Dimentions  (Read 1821 times)

Offline faavs730222

Stuart Progress Engine Crankshaft Dimentions
« on: October 27, 2017, 01:51:45 PM »
I want to build the Stuart Progress from Castings, but I am thinking of doing the Crank Shaft and Connecting Rod in Metric (I don't have to much Imperial Drills and Reamers). What are the dimensions of the Crank shaft and Connecting rod? I am going to leave the rest in Imperial because I like the look of the BA Bolts.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
Re: Stuart Progress Engine Crankshaft Dimentions
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 02:09:24 PM »
cannot help with the crank dims but BA is a metric size have a look at any BA size chart its a metric system not as the name subjects British its not even a 55deg thread form  :)

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 02:20:33 PM »
Faavs, I think you will find this forum a friendly and helpful bunch of folks with lots of experience. Please however, take the time to post an introduction in the "Introduce Yourself" section so that we can get to know you and your interests better, perhaps even what machine tools you have to work with...that will help with answering specific questions.

Meanwhile welcome to the forum.

Bill

Offline faavs730222

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 02:38:40 PM »
Thank you for the Replies. Thank you for the Info on BA. I will post my intro as soon as I have a few pictures also.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 04:44:35 PM »
Crankshaft and main bearings are 3/16" so you could substitute 5.0mm, crank pin is 1/8" so 3.0mm would do. Piston Rod is also 1/8" and the 3mm stock wil be fine.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 05:21:55 PM »
I don't know if you've seen this video series but it may be of help (the opening picture is misleading - it is actually a Stuart Progress that he builds):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WZykfoKIsA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WZykfoKIsA</a>

Offline Ian S C

• Stirling Engine Maker Darfield Canterbury N Z
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 12:26:09 PM »
I,v got a photo here of a vertical, slide valve Progress engine dating from the early 1930s, all I did to it after this was to spruce it up, and mount it on a better looking lump of wood.
Originally there were four Progress engines,  a slide valve horizontal, and a horizontal oscillator. Then a vertical Slide valve, and a vertical oscillator. The idea was that the beginner would start with the oscillator/wobbler as it was simpler to build, and cheaper.
Ian S C

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:37:22 PM by Ian S C »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal