Author Topic: Strictly.... “ Hot Air “  (Read 73667 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: Strictly.... “ Hot Air “
« Reply #300 on: October 29, 2018, 07:54:37 AM »
Jo is unhappy as he promised to bid on the Major Beam for me, I told him how much I was willing to go up to and now he keeps wasting good workshop time phoning me up telling me that he did not do what he promised and even worse he told the chap next to him that if he did not bid on it he would bid on it for me so this chap was the only bid on it and he won it  :rant:

I am not a member of that club it is a couple of hours away for me so not a sensible one to join.

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #301 on: October 29, 2018, 08:00:30 AM »
 :paranoia:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #302 on: October 30, 2018, 12:07:35 PM »
All squared up and bolted down.

I think that the propane burners on my range are too wide as they are totally missing the hot cap on the engine so I need to find an alternative burner.

The engine is bouncy, but not running and has a tendency to suck in its piston when stopped so I might need to set up it cold and then put the power piston in to maximise the pressure  :noidea:

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #303 on: October 30, 2018, 12:52:15 PM »
Hi Jo.

Wonderful, it's now complete, well done.

When cold the engine should feel as if there's a vacuum trying to pull the piston back as you turn the flywheel, but you should also feel a compression too!

Your gas ring does look a little bigger than my small one but you surely must be able to turn the flames right down so they just lick around the edges of the cap?

I wouldn't worry about trying to get a bit of positive pressure in the system, it'll soon leak away via the various loose bits. Oh, and they don't heat up and run that quickly initially either, first runs can take up to 30 minutes, this time gets less and less as the engine beds in and loosens.

Good luck, eager to see movement, cheers Graham.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #304 on: October 30, 2018, 01:06:24 PM »
I found mine needed a lot of flywheel flicking at first, as it warmed through you could tell it was taking longer and longer to come to a halt and eventually it took off.

If you do feel the hob is too big stand it on a couple of bricks and gently play your blow torch on it's bottom.

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #305 on: October 30, 2018, 03:26:45 PM »
Looks good Jo  :)

Is it worth buying a ceramic burner set up and permanently attach it?

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #306 on: October 30, 2018, 05:08:01 PM »
Or Jo's moths may prefer a camping stove particularly if a few have been let loose today on yet another set of castings.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-Outdoor-Folding-Gas-Stove-Cooker-Hiking-Picnic-Stainless-Steel-Gas-Burners/132711963938?hash=item1ee63fdd22:g:cSEAAOSw2gdbUiqC

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #307 on: October 30, 2018, 05:15:59 PM »
Or Jo's moths may prefer a camping stove particularly if a few have been let loose today on yet another set of castings.

.... or better still get some mucky old coal  ;)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #308 on: October 30, 2018, 05:24:47 PM »

:headscratch: I must have missed something.

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #309 on: October 30, 2018, 05:26:25 PM »
Coal is no good to Jo, she has not got a fire hole or chimney, unlike me :) besides she like to burn wood ;)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #310 on: October 30, 2018, 05:28:04 PM »

:headscratch: I must have missed something.

Jo

I thought that dancing pink thing in the other thread was due to a new purchase, maybe I was wrong as you would have had to pay full price which is not like you :LittleDevil:

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #311 on: October 30, 2018, 05:57:26 PM »

thing in the other thread was due to a new purchase

I thought I mentioned someone didn't buy the Stuart Major Beam engine he promised to pick up for me, this is the second time in two months he has messed me around when I was trying to buy casting sets  :cussing:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #312 on: November 01, 2018, 12:23:38 PM »
I have fully dismantled the Robinson and found that as well as bubbling a little water out from under the power cylinder some had got down into the hot end  :ShakeHead: , the worse bit being the rusty wire wool in the regenerator :facepalm2:

Following a visit to Waitrose I have, as instructed, purchased some pan scourers made of stainless steel swarf an am going to try re-assembling with two of those in place of the original wire wool.

Following a bit of a polish of the platform I think we are ready for another re-assemble and test heat  :)

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #313 on: November 01, 2018, 12:40:18 PM »
Did you not put any sealant between cylinder and base :facepalm:

If you are blowing bubbles then you are leaking air as well as water

Offline Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #314 on: November 01, 2018, 12:53:46 PM »
I have fully dismantled the Robinson and found that as well as bubbling a little water out from under the power cylinder some had got down into the hot end  :ShakeHead: , the worse bit being the rusty wire wool in the regenerator :facepalm2:

Following a visit to Waitrose I have, as instructed, purchased some pan scourers made of stainless steel swarf an am going to try re-assembling with two of those in place of the original wire wool.

Following a bit of a polish of the platform I think we are ready for another re-assemble and test heat  :)

Jo

Hi Jo

If that was me [ ? ]  I shall allow myself a little   ' TOWDJA'    :) 

I can't remember where or when I saw the info. about steel wool  but it did point out the following:

It breaks up and clogs the engine.
It rusts.
It is too tight usually and slows the engine due to restricted air-flow.

Dave

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal