Author Topic: By Jupiter  (Read 75336 times)

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
Re: By Jupiter
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2018, 12:32:23 PM »
8) Looking forward to seeing your progress on this at the Midlands show Mike.

I wonder if they made the original pattern by taking a piece of flat stock and twisting it into a spiral and then bending it into a circle  :noidea: Or you could extrude it like a piece of fusilli pasta..

Jo
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:37:28 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #181 on: September 25, 2018, 12:43:56 PM »
Probably a turned wooden donut, step out 9 points at various positions around it and then join the dots to draw a spiral followed by some carving gouges.

The making in segments would have been a possibility, I saw a post where a large final drive gear for a traction engine was cast from a series of cores consisting of about 4 teeth each laid into the mould.

It's looking good though Mike, was there any reason you went with a sintered plastic over a sintered metal?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #182 on: September 25, 2018, 12:51:23 PM »
We only have a small table at the Midlands show, so we are having to time share to give each other some space.. I will only be doing Friday and the Saturday What day(s) are you planning to be there?

:( I am going Thursday as I am picking up two little flywheels from Chipmaster for Eric who is planning to visit on Friday.

So the only way I might get to see the Jupiter before Guildford would be to visit your in the Minx

Jo

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #183 on: September 25, 2018, 01:14:39 PM »
I've seen photos from Wilton before and you do seem to get some nice models there, Jo did you have to give back your NBC suit when you retired?

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #184 on: September 25, 2018, 02:14:21 PM »
Thanks for that Mike. I just checked and it is a different Wilton I thought it was the one with the rather nice windmill over by the Kennet and Avon near the Crofton Beam engines so I have added that one to the list. Looks like I have a show to go to every other month now  8)

I've seen photos from Wilton before and you do seem to get some nice models there, Jo did you have to give back your NBC suit when you retired?

I didn't bother with one I am happily living within the complete destruction range of the anticipated local hypocentre so I am looking forward to being vaporised :ThumbsUp:

Jo

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #185 on: September 25, 2018, 03:55:23 PM »
I have just tried posting the Wilton Show on the Calendar but it does not seem to have shown up  :headscratch:

My list is: Alley Palley (Jan), Wilton (March), Guildford (July), Bristol (Aug), Midlands (Oct). It used to have the ME show but that was abandoned  :wallbang: and Doncaster is too far.

For traction engine enthusiasts the Southern Counties Model Traction Engine group is very good to drop in on, they are having their next steam up on the 13th October with a presentation on 24th November on ‘Ericsson’ and hot air stirling cycle engines which I am hoping to take my Robinson along to  8)

Jo

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2018, 02:45:30 PM »
I took a few weeks off, to complete the modernisation of my Emco VMC 100 mill and to sell-on my older Emco F1 mill. I also used this as an opportunity to rearrange the workshop. Bad move, now I cannot find anything.

Now I can get back to the Jupiter build and the twin Magnetos which mount at the rear of the engine.

Both main housing are now complete, other than installing the ball race bearings. These are open bearings, without shields or seals, so I will wait until all the machining and fettling is complete before I fit them prior to the assemble the magnetos. Next, I machined both coil covers from billet aluminium. The British Thompson Huston (BTH) name plate was engraved with a 0.2mm (5 thou) engraving point spinning at 6,000 RPM on the upgraded Emco VMC100 Mill. It was a good workout for my 'newest' Mill. You can see I have added all the necessary internal details, which will allow me to add the HT generation coil at a later stage. For now, I am initially, only intending to use the two magnetos as ignition distributors using an external spark coil. The parts to make a full working magneto, can be added later, once the engine has run.

The two Distributer Gearbox Housings were the next items to be made, again machined from a solid billet. This gearbox contains the 2:2.25 reduction gears which turn the rotor arm at the required speed. I had hoped to use a 0.6Module involute cutter to cut these gears, but as has been related elsewhere, these cutters have gone walkabout on their way to me from China, so I will need to make some single point gear cutters instead.

In this final photo you can see the two, nine cylinder distributor caps, which were machined from Delrin. The caps are not quite finished, I still need to make and install the nine brass contacts for the plug leads. You will notice the interesting star shape on the inside of the distributor cap. This feature was used, on the full size engines, to maximise the surface area (distance) between plug leads in order to prevent arcing or flashover between adjacent leads due to condensation or the effects of altitude.

There's lots more magneto stuff to follow. that can wait until the next update

Stay tuned

Mike

It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2018, 03:08:23 PM »
I learn a lot reading all that stuffs, wow, this spiral is a masterpiece.
Thanks to share all these pictures and studies

Offline Vixen

• Hampshire UK
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2018, 03:13:38 PM »
Vous êtes les bienvenus

Mike
It is the journey that matters, not the destination

Sometimes, it can be a long and winding road

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2018, 03:21:15 PM »
Absolutely stunning parts!

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #190 on: October 02, 2018, 03:25:23 PM »
When you can find such fabulous parts hiding in a bit of billet there really is little point in going looking for castings. :)

Online Roger B

• Global Moderator
  • Switzerland
« Reply #191 on: October 02, 2018, 05:10:40 PM »
Splendid  :praise2:  :praise2: That's an interesting design feature in the distributor cap  :ThumbsUp:  :ThumbsUp:
Best regards

Roger

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #192 on: October 02, 2018, 05:20:04 PM »
 8)

When you can find such fabulous parts hiding in a bit of billet there really is little point in going looking for castings. :)

You need to buy a CNC mill first to help you find it  ::)

Sorry Mike with all that lovely sunshine you nearly had a couple of visitors yesterday but that was before life had other plans  :( And to think I had this strange idea that once I retired I would have more time to do things  :noidea:

Jo

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #193 on: October 02, 2018, 05:27:45 PM »
Just beautiful.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #194 on: October 02, 2018, 05:31:02 PM »
On the picture of the distributor cap, it looks like the two lower contact positions are spaced differently than the rest - is that just where the wires connect, or are the contacts actually farther apart there? If so, why?  :headscratch:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal