Author Topic: John Stevenson RIP  (Read 1896 times)

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
John Stevenson RIP
« on: October 24, 2017, 04:06:40 PM »
Just found out from a line in the BXA dro thread.

Had a peek on maddmodder and he passed away 23 Oct 2017

A plain spoken character that will be missed

So RIP. Sir John MBE ( motor bike engineer ) as he signed himself , I got a wry smile when I told him it was really ‘ my belly is enormous ‘ his not mine

My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Mcgyver

• Toronto
Re: John Stevenson RIP
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 05:49:03 PM »
yes very sad.  It was my post in the BCA thread, I'd assumed incorrectly people here would have heard.  He was one of the most enjoyable and skilled personalities I'd got know through many years of internet friendship on various forums.   I have a son in the UK at school and thought I'd get to do a road trip and the chance meet him in person, wasn't to be.

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 06:13:01 PM »
Yes it was your post

He lived about 5 miles from where I live I met him on a few occasions first when he delivered and installed my concert mill , later he popped over to give me some hands on and to make sure the mill was ok

His humour was very typical for this area , shall we say dry and to the point
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 07:13:48 PM »
My connection with John goes back to the days of RCM on Usenet.  We've traded tidbits and insults for many years and I had come to regard him as both a good friend and a marvelous mentor.

John could take it as well as give it.  His typical response to someone posting about some shop screwup he'd made was two words...

"Clumsy bastard"

It came to be his call sign.  On one occasion he mentioned having made a mistake doing one of his complex repairs, I replied...

Clumsy bastard

and John had a good laugh at some bloody Colonist calling him out with his own catch phrase. 

I'm really going to miss the old bastard.  He was a real credit to the species.
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Offline jadge

• Cambridge, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 10:45:42 AM »
I first met John 12+ years ago when I bought a precision level from him, and again shortly afterwards when I bought a universal dividing head. That was when he was in the original house, with workshop buildings alongside. In the intervening years we've exchanged forum posts, PMs and emails, mainly on gear design, Gearotic (although I never did manage to get it running properly) and Mach3 and it's foibles. When the Myford fire sale took place he kindly contacted me and asked if I would be interested in any cylindrical grinder parts, if available. Sadly they weren't as the grinders had been out of production for too long.

I don't know if he learnt anything from me, probably not, but I certainly learnt a lot from him.

Gone, but not forgotten, as I'll remember every time I use the dividing head.

Andrew

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 01:27:18 PM »
My connection with John goes back to the days of RCM on Usenet.  We've traded tidbits and insults for many years and I had come to regard him as both a good friend and a marvelous mentor.
Marv do you remember the "Christmas Story" he posted back on RCM ???   :-)  I kept bugging him to do the follow-up on Easter but he never did it.
   ...lew...

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 03:18:58 PM »
Marv do you remember the "Christmas Story" he posted back on RCM ???   :-)  I kept bugging him to do the follow-up on Easter but he never did it.
   ...lew...

I remember it but only vaguely.  Does anyone have a copy of it?  (I suppose it's naive to expect there to be a compendium of RCM posts around.)
Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal