Author Topic: You're never too old  (Read 1663 times)

Offline RayW

You're never too old
« on: October 21, 2017, 04:37:19 PM »
71 today and my wife bought me a great present, the chance to drive four supercars at Brands  Hatch racing  circuit. Just need a decent day for it so may wait until Spring.
My birthdays have been following  something  of a motoring theme recently, with a visit to Williams  Formula  One race  team headquarters and a tour of their private museum last year, and a trip to Dover Transport museum today.
Ray

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
Re: You're never too old
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2017, 05:18:40 PM »
Happy Birthday Ray!
Sounds like a great time.

Dave

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2017, 05:40:54 PM »
Get an instructor to go along, makes for a superb experience. There is nothing quite like track driving. Get a camera mounted so that you can enjoy it over and over!

From my last hobby car: <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNPqls0pg1s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNPqls0pg1s</a>

Gerrit
Don't confuse activity with progress

Offline Lew Hartswick

• Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 04:40:45 PM »
The one thing I would have liked to do in my lifetime was drive a F1 car around a track. Even an obsolete one. but don't think it'll ever happen.
   ...lew...

Offline RayW

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 05:26:20 PM »
The one thing I have always wanted to do is drive, or even have a ride in, a real GT40. My wife used to work for JW Automotive Engineering who built and raced the Gulf GT40's, then the Mirage, and finally the Gulf Porche 917's and won the world sportscar championship.
My wife used to be picked up at the bus stop sometimes by one of the managers in a GT40 and would have a problem working out how to get in elegantly in a short skirt! Jealous, what me? (of the GT40, of course, not the short skirt!)
Ray

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 05:51:37 PM »
Happy Birthday Ray, even if I'm a day late. I like Gerrit's idea of a dash cam so you can relive the experience from the comfort of your armchair again and again.

Bill

Offline gerritv

• St Catharines, ON
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 06:46:07 PM »
The one thing I would have liked to do in my lifetime was drive a F1 car around a track. Even an obsolete one. but don't think it'll ever happen.
   ...lew...
Lots of places to drive an open wheeler though. Mosport in Ontario has classes, quite affordable. Also if you happen to be in Dubai, the track there has Formula DXB cars. Quite the experience with sequential gearbox and no power brakes!

I will be 70 next year, might use that as an excuse to book an event :-)
Don't confuse activity with progress

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal