Author Topic: Freelance mill engine from Stuart castings.  (Read 47093 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Freelance mill engine from Stuart castings.
« Reply #285 on: August 17, 2018, 02:13:47 AM »
I have now been making the reversing lever cross shaft...this needed a square section on the end to engage with the lever. To make this quick and easy i drilled a hole in a pice of silver steel and filed a slot to the correct depth. the steel was then hardened and put into the tailstock chuck. the cross shaft was then held in the collet in the headstock and the flats were filed onto it turning the bull wheel around in the headstock. I have not seen this before and it was very quickly executed...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #286 on: August 19, 2018, 01:58:27 AM »
More work on the reversing levers , The lever housing is bolted  onto the base but is 'hanging' in the air so i will have to make an extra part so it does not look like it is hanging in mid air ,also the handle for operating the lever needs to be made .....the bolting down foot is a bit in the way so we shall see what happens...The motor does not seem to work as a dynamo so i shall have to consult this contemporary booklet to sort it out !! I also found a suitable spring from an old sewing machine with the attaching bends in the right orientation
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 02:01:42 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #287 on: August 20, 2018, 01:23:00 AM »
I have repositioned the reversing lever assy so that it now sits more comfortably on the base. I had to file the frame part with a tapered rear part so it would not poke over the bottom flange part of the base. I have been using these screw plates to cot some threads as you don't need to continually change dies over. the Whitworth one includes a 9/32nd size. the threads are aranged in pairs though . Also a new extra deep hack saw from the car boot for £1 !!

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #288 on: August 20, 2018, 01:52:33 AM »
I haven't said much...(I don't know what to say  ;D ) but I'm following along  :popcorn:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #289 on: August 24, 2018, 01:14:50 AM »
Hi Zee, thanks but you don't have to say anything....and in the model engineering world when things go wrong and get broken  its  "least said soonest mended " so another tool in the box !! :cheers:

so more work on the engine block...as this is a Stuart Turner item i have had to modify it quite a bit.....the recess are first filled with car filler and then filed to a curve . to accommodate the bolting faces for the brass bands a raising slab is screwed on . the recesses will be filled with filer and the block will be painted. The mahogany slats will be cut out and held in place with the bands......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #290 on: August 24, 2018, 11:56:35 PM »
I now need to get a good circular profile on the side of the engine to let the strakes sit comfortably. I have added a piece of copper and filed to profile using the buttons as before ..I have also attached the piece to bolt down the banding...there are so many dissimilar metals here i could probably illuminate an LED !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #291 on: August 26, 2018, 01:18:48 AM »
The cylinder block is now undercoated and painted after the second coat the strakes will be attached..the mahogany is planed with one of my small violin planes....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #292 on: August 26, 2018, 02:11:18 AM »
Nice!

I have some small planes like that, very handy, amazing how much they can remove with a lot of control.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #293 on: September 04, 2018, 02:07:22 AM »
I have been painting all the parts now and have put the strakes on the engine  so almost finished apart from all the tidying up and polishing the steel motion work and ............................

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #294 on: September 04, 2018, 02:23:01 AM »
Wow, that is looking great!  Love the color contrasts.

Online sco

« Reply #295 on: September 04, 2018, 05:08:09 AM »
Nice paint job Willy - looks factory fresh and ready for work!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #296 on: September 04, 2018, 07:50:40 AM »
Beautiful!!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #297 on: September 04, 2018, 09:27:16 AM »
Hello Willy,

Beautiful assembly and the paint scheme is perfect.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #298 on: September 04, 2018, 11:35:47 PM »
Hi All thanks for the comments ..it will look even better when everything is connected up !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #299 on: September 06, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »
I have now been varnishing the base using a quick water based varnish   i prepare the wood by sanding with garnet paper. i start off with 80 grit and work down to 280 grit wetting the wood each ti me with water to lift the grain.The base is then varnished waiting a few hours between coats and sipping with a Tack Cloth to remove any dust that may have settled. I have also prepared the studs for the components ..I have used bolts with nuts inserted from underneath the base ..this is to get them the correct height . It is done this way because the bolts have the correct profile that will be showing ,the correct height above the nuts and washers. Also a view with the progress of fitting the engine parts. I will be going to Beeleigh mill this Saturday as part of the National Heritage W/E  showing off some of my engines to the General public !!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2018, 02:46:07 PM by steam guy willy »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal