Author Topic: Freelance mill engine from Stuart castings.  (Read 47024 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Freelance mill engine from Stuart castings.
« Reply #270 on: July 30, 2018, 11:58:04 PM »
I have now put the mouldings on the base using a router and started cleaning up the flywheel........
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 02:10:34 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline zeeprogrammer

• West Chester, PA, USA
« Reply #271 on: July 31, 2018, 12:10:31 AM »
I'm here watching and enjoying.  :popcorn:
Carl (aka Zee) Will sometimes respond to 'hey' but never 'hey you'.
"To work. To work."
Zee-Another Thread Trasher.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #272 on: August 01, 2018, 02:09:48 AM »
Thanks Zee,   starting on the painting  I will be using the red paint...B.R. Coach Crimson  [blood] 1945-1955  !!  Phoenix Precision paints...!!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #273 on: August 01, 2018, 02:13:55 AM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #274 on: August 04, 2018, 02:58:26 AM »
More Painting and I need to mill out the eccentric sheave profiles ...I have a small rotary table for this , a George Thomas design that came from a car boot sale !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #275 on: August 05, 2018, 04:39:11 PM »
I have tried to use the motor as a generator but it only produces about 12 milliamps when turning ...It may need to revolve really fast as we were using an electric screw driver !! it has field windings and brushes  and runs on a 6 volt battery charger ok ,drawing about 4 amps. It perhaps needs some residual magnetism adding  (a magnet!!) or rewinding or something .......any ideas ?? It has also been painted. Also a mystery tool in the M.E.Workshop magazine.....I do have one with the top plate attached that works tolerably well !!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 04:43:46 PM by steam guy willy »

Online Bluechip

• Derbyshire
« Reply #276 on: August 05, 2018, 05:06:56 PM »
S G W

If it's a series wound motor, looks like it, only 2 wires coming out of it, you need a load to drive some current. Even then it's going to be iffy.

If you just whizz it round with a voltmeter attached the meter is high resistance. Hence very small current through the field, hence very weak magnetic field strength, hence the miserable output.  Try it with a 12V 6W car lamp. That MIGHT make it work better, might not.

Can you get at the field winding connections? It may be possible to connect it as a shunt generator like they usually are. But if it's a series motor the windings may be a somewhat low resistance and a series dropper will be in order.

The fact you get some output suggests there is residual magnetism in the field

Dave

EDIT  OOPs sorry 12 milli AMPS ???   Ah! Different animal now  :headscratch:  On a current setting your meter should be a relatively low resistance ... Hmmmmmm   Dunno then  :shrug:

« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 05:12:00 PM by Bluechip »

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #277 on: August 05, 2018, 05:42:19 PM »
Willy: It looks like a fairly standard thin piece vice the design for which was published in the Model Engineer Mag ::)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #278 on: August 05, 2018, 07:11:08 PM »
Yes, that's what I told Neil it was before the mag was published, One of Tubal Cains that is also in his book.

Jo I seem to remember you got one from the Guildford club and posted a pic a few years back.

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #279 on: August 05, 2018, 07:28:22 PM »
I did, no one knew what it was, so I acquired it in one of those bargain boxes  :mischief: What can I say it is very useful  ;)

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #280 on: August 07, 2018, 03:07:27 AM »
 Back to the engine the , the apertures are milled out of the sheaves. the holder has a grub screw to keep the sheaves from turning and they are held together with a rod. the slots are milled 7/32nd and the cutter is advanced 2 Thou for each rotation. The inner profile will be filed next.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #281 on: August 10, 2018, 02:20:21 AM »
The sheaves have been filled to shape and painted...the crosshead sliders have also been tidied up and are ready for painting...also looking at a article in ME from 1914 there is a series by George Gentry rebuilding a beam engine , he has made some drawings and given on of the threads as 9/64th whit or 4BA  i have never seen this side thread before but it must have existed !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #282 on: August 13, 2018, 01:21:59 AM »
more painting...when i paint small areas i shake the tin and use the paint that is in the lid...this is to avoid too much paint getting into the brush. the brushes i use are the expensive Sable haired ones this brush has half the hairs removed to get even less paint in the brush... also after painting i put a plastic cover over the components to keep the dust off.

Offline gbritnell

« Reply #283 on: August 13, 2018, 12:23:53 PM »
Outstanding work so far! The painting at times is tedious but it adds so much to the engine.
gbritnell
Talent unshared is talent wasted.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #284 on: August 16, 2018, 01:31:28 AM »
[quote author=gbritnell
Outstanding work so far! The painting at times is tedious but it adds so much to the engine.
gbritnell

Thanks for that .. Now i have sorted out how to paint successfully i do find it quite easy and rewarding ... I used to make violins and cello's so have done a lot of varnishing in my time ...some views of the engine coming together and the latest part is the reversing lever assembly...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal