Author Topic: Freelance mill engine from Stuart castings.  (Read 47059 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Freelance mill engine from Stuart castings.
« Reply #255 on: July 14, 2018, 01:24:33 AM »
Ok more work on the feet (model that is !!)  and i will attach an extra 'flange' part around the bottom to make it look more like a casting .This part will also be indented to help hold the fillet/filler in place the metal for this part is an upcycled item from some sort of clumpy thing ...the other feet and knees thing is just 70 years of wear and tear...!!

Online scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #256 on: July 14, 2018, 09:07:03 AM »
Looking good Willy,  I'm currently doing the base on mine, but in a different way. Had I seen your post first I might have followed ::)       Best Wishes for the X-rays, etc.    Terry

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #257 on: July 16, 2018, 02:43:25 PM »
Hi Terry, there are many ways to achieve desired results and it all comes down to tools ,materials ,time , etc etc ..I have been thinking about how to attache the feet and flanges and will screw the flanges on with screws and the feet will be temporarily attached with grub screws prior to soft soldering...i think...i shall see how this goes...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #258 on: July 16, 2018, 04:43:03 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #259 on: July 19, 2018, 01:09:56 AM »
The twelve feet have now been roughed out and tapped for the temporary fixing screws...next job is to Finnish the surface patina clean off all the coconut oil taping compound and either Locktite or soft soldering into place. I have also just found a nice piece of solid mahogany to make the sub base from...it was discarded from a Jack Wills trendy/old fashioned clothing shop !!!

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #260 on: July 19, 2018, 08:30:08 AM »
Hi Willy, that nice piece of mahogany has found a higher purpose at last.  The engine is going really well.  I have been interested to see how you built up that base.

I hope you (and others) are also still thinking about thermodynamics!

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #261 on: July 19, 2018, 06:25:55 PM »
Hi MJM,  yes several questions.....Does pure water evaporate faster than river/rain water ?  If you have a dish of mains water , once it has evaporated are you left with lots of elements/detritus etc that can be detected ?..I have noticed that when i have my evening Baileys and coffee nightcap if i put a sugar cube in it and don't stir it the last mouthful seems to be very sweet as if the sugar cube has not dissolved into the whole of the cup equally ,or is this my imagination, Is the rate of evaporation of water equal throughout the  liquid range from ice to  100 degrees, at atmospheric pressure  or have i not been paying attention ??..We have now had 6 weeks of zero precipitation and high temperatures to go with it   !!  So lots of time watering at the lotment !! But lots of archiology showing up in the fields !! Also the piece of mahogany was the centre leaf of an expanding table i think !

willy

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #262 on: July 19, 2018, 06:50:07 PM »
Also the piece of mahogany was the centre leaf of an expanding table i think !
Uh oh,that table is going to be short come next holiday gathering, are you in trouble!!   :Lol:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #263 on: July 20, 2018, 01:50:21 AM »
Hi Chris, fortunately no..!!! there is so much discarded stuff in Norwich and i have a few favourite skips and places !!  if you see stuff you have to take it there and then otherwise someone else will bag it ! I have a few secret stash places dotted round the city so when i see stuff i can quickly hide it up !! then go and pick it up later!....More work on the feet ..I have decided to use locktite with the grub screws. I have also riveted the first bottom flange on.  I will actually attach the engine to the wood base with hidden screws in side the base so there is no undue pressure on the feet.

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #264 on: July 20, 2018, 01:01:11 PM »
Hi Willy, great drought inspired questions.  I will discuss them on the thermodynamics thread so as not to hijack your wonderful freelance engine build.

Glad to see the beautiful mahogany plank elevated in the world!

MJM460

The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #265 on: July 21, 2018, 01:05:15 AM »
continuing with the base...exept my upstairs neighbour has returned home so i fave to stop work...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #266 on: July 22, 2018, 01:03:01 AM »
Ok the neighbour is out and i have finished off the metal work for the base....next job is the filler...................There was just enough of the bar for the flange..cutting it a bit fine !! Also the mahogany table top ready to make up

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #267 on: July 24, 2018, 01:18:02 AM »
A few attempts at filler...it is quite difficult getting the hardner proportions exactly right though. Also the 2BA studding to hold the base down to the mahogany stand. This will have a nice moulding put on with a router.  I have a lot of phone cards ,,,about 20.000 so have plenty of plastic to use as applicators and i use these wooden tea stirrers to gat the basic fillet.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #268 on: July 25, 2018, 11:38:35 PM »
Finishing off the filler and attaching the Reversing lever parts to the base...I have mixed up some filler undercoat paint and have to wait 3 hours for the harder to react properly...I am using Phonix precision paints as per usual and am deciding which colours to use ...black for the base and red perhaps this time ?.  Also a pile of cable to strip from Jarrollds skip..twill make a lot of rivets or may just scrap it ,,Copper is about £4400 a metric tonne.....Also looking for a new project and came across this Easton and Anderson been engine in the Bressingham Museum...just down the road from me !!!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #269 on: July 28, 2018, 11:33:29 PM »
Have finished the filling and have painted the base with the acid etch paint and then with black gloss... As the black gloss is so shiny it is quite difficult to photo it possibly better in daylight !

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal