Author Topic: Freelance mill engine from Stuart castings.  (Read 47018 times)

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: Freelance mill engine from Stuart castings.
« Reply #120 on: February 08, 2018, 04:47:25 AM »
Micarta is what we call it over here. It's the paper version of phenolec board which is made with fabric. Handiest stuff since I don't know what...

That engine looks great! Keep it coming.. :popcorn:

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #121 on: February 15, 2018, 08:49:32 PM »
More work on the Allen valve gear with a description of its workings and more meccano to see how to link up the parts...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 01:45:45 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2018, 03:30:11 AM »
Very interesting linkage setup. Since the two link rods are at a bit of an angle to each other when at forward or reverse, the position of the eccentric is going to be a little different than a stephonson setup. I think. Not sure. If it was me, I'd hold the eccentrics with set screws so I could adjust their angles.

Offline Zephyrin

• near Paris, France
« Reply #123 on: February 16, 2018, 08:01:52 AM »
Very nice engine you are building, and very interesting thread on the valve gears setup, and clever tips too, thanks to share...

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #124 on: February 16, 2018, 08:39:21 PM »
[quote author=crueby

Very interesting linkage setup. Since the two link rods are at a bit of an angle to each other when at forward or reverse, the position of the eccentric is going to be a little different than a stephonson setup. I think. Not sure. If it was me, I'd hold the eccentrics with set screws so I could adjust their angles.

Hi Chris, unfortunately i have put the keyways already on the sheaves and the crankshaft so i cannot do any adjustments with this !! But.....
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 08:44:22 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2018, 02:40:56 AM »
Started on the con rod ...the crosshead end has a wedge to adjust the bearing this is adjusted with a bolt and two locknuts.  The bearings are made from pieces of three pin plug and the earth pin is 5/32"  X 5/16" .they are soft soldered together and turned up with the SC4 jaw . they are then filed up together and then parted on the stove. ........
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 01:33:16 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #126 on: February 18, 2018, 03:14:37 AM »
The con rod is coming together... The brass bearing is turned up and the radius at the end is filed and checked with the gauge . the bare is milled to size and the strap is made from SRBP to get the dimensions it will be made from steel later. I have drawn these parts but fashion them by eye to see how they come together. the bar is then turned down and the ends sawn off to fit.....Once the parts have been made and look ok i will redraw them with the correct dimensions.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #127 on: February 18, 2018, 01:49:56 PM »
the "standard" strap, block,gib and cotter big end assembly.  A couple of pics of one I did a long time ago as an apprentice...No machining, only a drill allowed.   Making one a bit smaller :Lol: with the bearing made from 13 amp plug bits :shrug:  I'm lost for words :praise2:

Magic,     Terry

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #128 on: February 19, 2018, 12:59:21 AM »

the "standard" strap, block,gib and cotter big end assembly.  A couple of pics of one I did a long time ago as an apprentice...No machining, only a drill allowed.   Making one a bit smaller :Lol: with the bearing made from 13 amp plug bits :shrug:  I'm lost for words :praise2:

Magic,     Terry

Hi Terry, I also made a few things when did i my apprenticeship in the army as an electronics engineer...way back in 1964 !! I needed some brass for the bearing 5/32"  x 5/16" and the plug pins were exactly the right size !!! I do scrap metal and recycling and have a workshop and house full of random materials and stuff !!  so can always find things i need !!...
Thanks for looking in .......

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #129 on: February 19, 2018, 11:39:01 PM »
The strap end is started on the stock milled down and drilled and filed to fit the con rod end.The slots are then drilled and filed to shape. next to make is the type of gib and cotter and there are quite a few to choose from !!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #130 on: February 19, 2018, 11:42:13 PM »
Wow, you are getting quick at making those end cap assemblies. Very nice!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2018, 12:13:31 AM »
More strap ends...........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2018, 02:59:22 AM »
The strap gib and cotter are in place and the strap still needs profiling with the help of a hardened button that needs to be made. so ....getting there.......

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2018, 03:13:56 AM »
Your inner cannibal is showing in that first picture! Unique file handle!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2018, 10:23:58 PM »

Your inner cannibal is showing in that first picture! Unique file handle!

Hi Chris, yup fraud so ..actually it is from a roadkill badger that i ate a few years ago !!!
The big end strap is filed up with the help of some buttons  and what i need to do now is make the base.....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal