Author Topic: Freelance mill engine from Stuart castings.  (Read 47016 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Freelance mill engine from Stuart castings.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2017, 12:57:40 AM »
so, i have now straitened up the ports and got them to dimension , They are actually 1/2" wide rather than 19/64ths as per drawing. there is a bit of lap and all this will have to be worked out before the throw on the eccentrics  is cut. .....Also a box of castings ..all30 Lbs of them ready to Post !!!!????!!!!........

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2017, 07:41:17 AM »
Willy, these are from the triple drawings , the 19/64 is from the valve not the port length.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2017, 01:35:35 PM »
Hi Jason , i am a bit confused as to why the port 'length' is 28/64ths=7/16ths and the length/.width in the valve is 19/64ths".is this because as it says 'dimensions may vary ' they don't want you to make openings too large or something, and in my casting the port lengths are actually 1/2"=32/64ths" wide ?!!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 02:04:30 PM »
The port length of 7/16" corresponds to the 1/2" length on the valve bucket. If the port is 1/2" that will work as well.

Imperilous measurements are so confusing  :ShakeHead:

Jo

Edit: I have found a space for that box of castings  :naughty:
« Last Edit: October 21, 2017, 02:08:29 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2017, 02:30:11 PM »

Edit: I have found a space for that box of castings  :naughty:
[/quote]

Jo, Would you settle for the swarf/fillings instead ? I could save them up to be recast for you !!!

Offline Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2017, 02:38:39 PM »
Jo, Would you settle for the swarf/fillings instead ? I could save them up to be recast for you !!!

I knew it was too good an opportunity to be true  :lolb: I will just have to see if Graham can find me a Sphinx  :naughty:

Jo
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Online Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2017, 05:14:29 PM »
The port length of 7/16" corresponds to the 1/2" length on the valve bucket. If the port is 1/2" that will work as well.

Imperilous measurements are so confusing  :ShakeHead:

I don't think imperial has much to do with it, maybe Willy is confused as due to the drawing projections the cylinder portface is shown as it would be on is horizontal mill engine but the valve recess is shown as it would be on the vertical triple.

maybe you could take a photo of one of your triples as a pic is worth a 1000 words.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 02:05:54 AM »
Ok sorry about the castings Jo !! and have Stuart Turner been busy updating their drawings ?  next job is the valve rod gland and the rod with the buckle. i am making these parts wit5h no drawings  !! just making it up as i go along. i suppose a lot of people do this especially when making a new model, and is this why you get measurements like 19/64 ths" appearing on the drawings?!!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 02:30:27 AM »
I have added the rear cylinder cover...it is a bit larger as there will be wooden slats insulation attached......Btw the Stuart drawings i have are from 1930 !

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2017, 01:07:47 AM »
Back to the mill engine... I have made the front cylinder cover and the stuffing box....

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 08:39:27 PM »
More work on the cylinder standards , These are drawn up and marked out on 3/8' plate .I have some of these squares that have the extra part on the bottom edge, this means that the square stays put and doesn't fall off !!  The pilot holes are drilled and then opened up. the 15/16' holes are first counter drilled with a half inch drill to give a seating for the larger drill. The parts are then angle round off and the top face milled flat...My drill press also has a slow speed attachment that is really useful when drilling large holes....

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2017, 02:38:04 AM »
I am making the slide bars from 3/8" steel plate. I have made a template to get them the same and have drilled the holes and sawn out the waste ready to mill out the lower slot detail. I have also got a flywheel ready to turn up.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2017, 02:45:08 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2017, 01:44:14 AM »
I have been working on the slide bars and sort of making it up as i go along. I have been using the Barstock i have in store and have made a sort of general arrangement drawing but may change things as i go along. I have been looking at drawings and photos of other mill engines and am trying to get the best bits from them. !! here are the latest photos........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2017, 02:36:37 PM »
The Two slide bars are now almost compleat an i have lowers them a bit. I have also put a Meccanno base together to hold the parts in place...I need to make the webs for the top bar next.....a few photos....

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal