Author Topic: Freelance mill engine from Stuart castings.  (Read 47675 times)

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
Re: Freelance mill engine from Stuart castings.
« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2018, 04:09:24 PM »
.... also i have found out how to scribble on the photos with my Mac pooter....

Please tell me how!!!!

Pete
Craftsman, Tinkerer, Curious Person.
Retired, finally!
SB 10K lathe, Benchmaster mill. And stuff.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2018, 05:48:16 PM »
Hi Pete,   You get the photo up on Photos.......you then go to edit and  and there is a toolbar that has a logo that is a circle with 3 dots in it. when you press on this logo it will bring up a word that says  MARKUP   you press on this and it will give you a toolbar with colours and text and arrows and things , this needs experimenting with  ,with double clicks and stuff and much cursing about !! will try and geta a screen shot to show it......here in Norwich we have an apple store and it is possible to get one to ones to ask about stuff...and it is free.....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 05:53:24 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2018, 06:50:05 PM »
Yes!!! I've often wondered, but only slightly, how to do that. It works!

Thanks,
Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2018, 06:57:40 PM »
Or

Open the photo in preview, then click tools then annotate and play away you can put in arrows , text and much more

Have fun

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline 10KPete

• Nordland, WA, USA
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2018, 09:49:20 PM »
Yes, fun it is! I've never played with that feature before and now another door in communication has opened!

Thanks to all,

Pete
Retired, finally!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2018, 01:36:54 AM »
Have now finished the 3 bearing blocks ,,,after quite a bit of hand filing and they are in place with the  crankshaft and flywheel. I will be at the Model engineer exhibition on satuurday at alexander palace so may see some of you there..........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2018, 01:45:54 AM »
More work on the motion parts.....the strait link is made from ground flat stock ( that will be hardened),,, using filing buttons. when i filed the strait link slot i used a 6mm drill shank to check the width. The dimensions are taken from the SRBP parts already made. I have made the valve tolling bar from square stock and to file the profile correctly and get both sides equal i have used the hardened pins in the vice to file up against, and used a small clamp so when i turn the bar over the groves will match up on both sides...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 02:22:37 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2018, 02:02:16 AM »
You say that you will harden the link with filing buttons. I don't follow, hows that work?

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2018, 02:21:16 AM »
Hi Chriss ...whoops there is a comma missing after Hardened ...I was trying to use brevity with the post as it is  2 am over here and i am a bit tired ...putting the roof back on my shed after last weeks 80 mph gales !!!.............. :embarassed:    :agree: :Doh:

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2018, 11:28:30 AM »
I'm loving all this bench work....sawing, filing, etc.   Nice engine, I may start something similar soon.   Sorry to hear about your shed roof,   :(
 I hope all your tools, parts survived ok.
Regards       Terry

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2018, 03:30:11 AM »
i am making the eccentric parts as per later engine practice with a brass bearing part between the steel sheave and the steel strap. Earlier beam engines had a solid brass strap, but later locomotives and mill engine had this type. This is just a practice piece using SRBP and the brass bearing part. The outside strap is divided and then bolted to the faceplate and turned up with the slot to hold the thin brass bearing.  The bearing is then attached to a mandrill and turned to fit the outer strap. When i make the actually strap the brass bearing part will be fixed to the strap with Loctite  and the inside will be the bearing against the sheave. the slot is to hold the brass part in position only....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 03:33:36 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2018, 03:31:54 AM »
More pics of the parts.........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #102 on: January 29, 2018, 12:49:28 AM »
Am now making the straps from steel plate. it is bolted to a steel back plate with 2BA bolts. Also a drawing of a bearing block with the brass bearing part that also has  white metal inserts, I won't go this far of course !!. Ready to machine the part tomorrow...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #103 on: January 29, 2018, 01:50:54 AM »
Still watching along, nice parts!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2018, 02:52:56 AM »
The next strap is made ...and to avoid drilling and tapping more holes i have used the existing turned parts to position the new blanks. once this is in place the other turned part was removed and the second strap blank offered up to it and bolted in place. a centre hole was drilled through it from the backplate part to facillitate the entering once on the lathe by using a centre in the tailstock. I have used some clamps at the back of the backplate that come from trunking used in ceiling installations. ..because the are this shape they butt up to the webs on the backplate so you don't need a spanner. The hole is first put through the strap using a RotaBroach. it is then bored to size and the slot put in for the bearing. the first strap is marked out to locate the bolts and they are sawn ready to profile.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal