Author Topic: Freelance mill engine from Stuart castings.  (Read 47020 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Freelance mill engine from Stuart castings.
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2017, 01:13:25 AM »
The crankshaft webs are completed and the flywheel turned up. The engine is coming along and the con rod will be tackled next....and LEGO seems to be the new meccano !

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2017, 01:35:48 AM »
The crankshaft webs are completed and the flywheel turned up. The engine is coming along and the con rod will be tackled next....and LEGO seems to be the new meccano !
All that money I spent on bronze, all I really needed was Lego??   :Lol:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2017, 03:05:26 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8DpJ-ozh8c" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8DpJ-ozh8c</a>
Hi Chris,  perhaps LEGO is the way forward !!!   
And this    <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTdk8qyyYnk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTdk8qyyYnk</a>
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 03:15:50 PM by steam guy willy »

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2017, 06:21:11 PM »
Wow, all that money I spent on lathe, mill, brass.... All I needed was my old set of legos!

:facepalm:

Interesting that he uses it as a vacuum drive, probably keeps it from blowing apart like a compressed air one would. Maybe we need a new forum section for these!

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2017, 08:12:42 PM »
Before I got into model engineering I used to collect Meccano,. it's incredible what some people can build,.

I think this is the forerunner of the modern computer :-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL_wy-CxBP8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL_wy-CxBP8</a>

There is a leading surgeon in the USA (who's name escapes me), he spends a lot of his free time in 3rd world countries helping children with spine deformities,. everytime he goes he talks a lot of Meccano and uses it to make braces., stretchers., supports etc to correct bone deformities.

He says it is a cheap but effective solution that can be built on site and easily adjusted on a growing child

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2017, 08:30:22 PM »
Had to look that one up - Robinson is the name of the guy who built that model, which is a (slightly) simplified version of the Babbage Difference Engine. Quite a feat to build that in anything, let alon Meccano!!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2017, 12:34:42 AM »
Ok ,Thats Meccano , Lego , so now some perspex...........I have been making the prototype bearing blocks and will be following heavy duty Mill engine practice with the steel and bronze ones........I heard somewhere that Issigonis   the Morriss Minor designer ,used Meccannoto design the Mini's gearbox !!!

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 12:40:39 AM by steam guy willy »

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2017, 02:47:05 AM »
I have drawn out the main bearings and have milled one up to see how it fits  together . I will be  making these next in steel....

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2017, 01:29:25 AM »
A bit more work on the bearings lots of angle grinding and milling. lots of winterval  things going on the moment..........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2017, 06:10:35 PM »
A useful idea to help with successful hand filing ....as well as using the hardened vice jaws a pair of hardened silver steel pegs to use as a file stop as per filing buttons. the vice is cast iron so easily to drill for the 5/32 stubs. I am filing the base of the main bearings after drilling the curved rising parts.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2017, 02:22:07 AM »
More work on the bearings ....i have been milling them to size and noticed that the spacing blocks that i bought as a large set have the initials W J H stamped on them. So did they belong to W J Hughes the traction engineer builder and author  ??..I bought them a few years ago at one of the Exhibitions. A few pics of the process with the main bearings....still more work to do on them....

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2017, 02:33:35 AM »
More work on the bearing blocks ...the tops are milled to size and the caps are angle ground of a strip and also milled to size  the brass bearings will be made from 1/4"  x 1/2"  brass bar that is first soldered together. One of the bearing blocks has its cap fitted and also has its ident number stamped on. lots of filing up still to do though....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2017, 02:59:27 AM »
Coming together nicely, I like the shapes on those bearing blocks.

:popcorn:

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2017, 01:51:05 AM »
Hi Chris, i have taken this design from an old book of engine practice and have copied this from one of them... the brasses have been made and the two inside small bolts and nuts are actually used to move the brasses sideways, using wedges to give more alignment. You cannot see them of course !! but it adds a bit of authenticity to them. So two more to do and then try and figure out the eccentrics.....

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2017, 01:55:23 AM »
Interesting, never seen that before, but it sounds like a useful adjustment. Do you have a picture or diagram of how that adjustment works?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal