Author Topic: Freelance mill engine from Stuart castings.  (Read 48237 times)

Offline steam guy willy

Re: Freelance mill engine from Stuart castings.
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2018, 02:30:38 AM »
The stop valve is made but seems a bit big.... it looked all right on the drawing but 3 dimensionally seems larger it also needs the handle  so ..lots of tidying up  before the steam test !!  yes Tug i will bring the catalogue for you............

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2018, 02:45:21 AM »
Coming together nicely!

:popcornsmall:

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2018, 10:28:29 AM »
Hi Willy - thats what I thought about mine once finished but looking at images of full size its surprising just how big these valves were relative to the cylinder. Remember what you are seeing though is the valve body well coated with insulation that gives that impression. You should be able to 'reduce' the size optically by increasing the thickness of the inlet pipe - well that's what I'm hoping will happen on mine  ;)

I'll look forwards to perusing that catalogue  :)

Regards - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2018, 01:59:20 PM »
The stop valve / governor block is now attached and the valve gear linkage is starting to take shape. I am also thinking about the base.  Also came across this article in 1908 Model Engineer  about water cutting cranks  ??? Any ideas about this ?? I does not say anything in the text about it !!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #169 on: March 28, 2018, 02:22:43 AM »
The reversing lever has been schemed out and mounted on some SRBP  to locate it correctly on the engine  .... Also don't you just love Closed Captions on video's... Also i have asked the local club members but they don't know about this water cutting process ??!!!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #170 on: March 28, 2018, 03:32:09 AM »
Willy, higher up that same page it gives a clue, where it mentions water cutting "as it is called", mentioning it is a propietary mix for a cutting fluid. Also found this statement in a history of machining...

"In the 19th century it was not uncommon to use plain water. This was simply a practical expedient to keep the cutter cool, regardless of whether it provided any lubrication at the cutting edge–chip interface. When one considers that high-speed steel (HSS) had not been developed yet, the need to cool the tool becomes all the more apparent. (HSS retains its hardness at high temperatures; other carbon tool steels do not.) An improvement was soda water (sodium bicarbonate in water), which better inhibited the rusting of machine slides. These options are generally not used today because more effective alternatives are available."

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #171 on: March 30, 2018, 03:02:55 AM »
The reversing lever has now been schemed out and made on the County Carlow  4-4-0 GWR , Don Young ,Loco pattern... It looks a bit clumsy with the latch retaining block on top ! I may make something that fits underneath  the curved slotted part instead....

Willy, higher up that same page it gives a clue, where it mentions water cutting "as it is called", mentioning it is a propietary mix for a cutting fluid. Also found this statement in a history of machining...

"In the 19th century it was not uncommon to use plain water. This was simply a practical expedient to keep the cutter cool, regardless of whether it provided any lubrication at the cutting edge–chip interface. When one considers that high-speed steel (HSS) had not been developed yet, the need to cool the tool becomes all the more apparent. (HSS retains its hardness at high temperatures; other carbon tool steels do not.) An improvement was soda water Sodium_bicarbonate]sodium bicarbonate in water, which better inhibited the rusting of machine slides. These options are generally not used today because more effective alternatives are available.

Yes this may be what they were talking about ,But i don't know why they only used water on certain parts ?

Willy.

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #172 on: March 31, 2018, 02:20:30 AM »
The link rod has been made with a 6 BA left and right hand threaded ends for a fine adjustment of the link .So that is all the parts made to do a steam test.....just need to adjust all the parts to get them in the right positions to get everything moving freely........

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2018, 04:28:11 AM »
further adjustments and gasket making.. and a bit of tidying up so soon be ready for steam...............

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #174 on: April 03, 2018, 09:34:44 PM »
Not a valid vimeo URL       so the air test is now done with a few misshaps !! and we have a runner..... There was quite a bit of 'fitting' going on behind the scenes...all will be revealed later. Initially it did not want to run so i attached a heavy brass weight to the crankshaft and that got it going....more soon...time for tea.!!!!!!

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #175 on: April 03, 2018, 09:39:34 PM »
Great stuff Willy, looks and sounds the part  :)

Are you intending to run it on steam eventually ?

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #176 on: April 03, 2018, 09:48:03 PM »
Great stuff Willy, looks and sounds the part  :)

Are you intending to run it on steam eventually ?
 Yes it will be run on steam when it is totally finished with the proper base plate and the governor fitted etc...This was just a tryout with a compressor !!
willy

Offline Ramon Wilson

• Suffolk in the UK
« Reply #177 on: April 03, 2018, 09:49:57 PM »
Well done Willy - just that little bit of refinement and it'll be a great addition to the collection  :ThumbsUp:

Look forwards to seeing it finalised and painted

Best - Tug
"I ain't here for the long time but I am here for a good time"
(a very apt phrase - thanks to a well meaning MEM friend)

Online sco

« Reply #178 on: April 03, 2018, 09:52:42 PM »
Great job Willy - been following quietly from the start.

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #179 on: April 03, 2018, 10:34:51 PM »
Great progress Willy! The shop elves and I have been watching along...

:popcornsmall:
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal