Author Topic: Thumper--a new 1 3/8" bore i.c. engine  (Read 24337 times)

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
Re: Thumper--a new 1 3/8" bore i.c. engine
« Reply #270 on: May 17, 2020, 06:43:46 PM »
And that's all she wrote. Time to move on to a different project.---Brian
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZjtvawaTYM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZjtvawaTYM</a>

Offline Admiral_dk

• Søften - Denmark
« Reply #271 on: May 17, 2020, 09:07:36 PM »
Though you did not fulfill your planned outcome here Brian - I do think that the two as individual project are a great successes in their own right -> so cheer to that  :cheers:

Best wishes

Per

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #272 on: May 17, 2020, 11:35:42 PM »
Thank you Per.  They were both successful projects.--It's just that they weren't fated to work together.---Brian

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #273 on: May 17, 2020, 11:46:07 PM »
Brian,
Is there any chance of gearing the edger down so the wood moves through at a slower rate?
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #274 on: May 17, 2020, 11:53:34 PM »
Art--the edger is already geared down thru a 16:1 gear reducer.  The gear reducer has two output shafts, one to drive the pressure rollers, the other to power the sawblade which rotates in the opposite direction. Any further gearing down will slow the sawblades to a point where they won't cut.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #275 on: May 18, 2020, 12:14:55 AM »
Art--the edger is already geared down thru a 16:1 gear reducer.  The gear reducer has two output shafts, one to drive the pressure rollers, the other to power the sawblade which rotates in the opposite direction. Any further gearing down will slow the sawblades to a point where they won't cut.

Could the feed rollers be geared more, without changing the sawblade rpms? Keeping the blade speed up but feeding slower would help a lot, though that might mean too many mechanical changes to the existing machine.

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #276 on: May 18, 2020, 01:20:48 AM »
Too many changes, not easily done. I've moved on from this project about two weeks ago in my head, but thought I needed to make this last approach today to be fair to all the people who follow my posts. I didn't really feel, in my black little heart that this was going to work, but I've proven myself wrong before. The engine works well, with a lighter load, and the edger works well with more power input.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #277 on: May 18, 2020, 09:07:33 AM »
I would be worth taking the drive and tension off the rollers and just hand feeding at least that way you can see if a slower speed works, think I said long ago in the edger thread it needed to be slower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal