Author Topic: Bio  (Read 1961 times)

Offline Marlyn Spyke Maul

Bio
« on: October 18, 2017, 06:20:39 AM »
Hello ALL. Brief bio: I spent half of my work history on the BNRR working bridges, the second job working tugboats and towing vessels. I purchased my first lathe/mill late last winter to get my mind off of other things. (HOLY SMOKE it sure has:) I am in the process of finishing my second steam engine. Thanks for letting me join up! Dave
Inch By Inch, Anything's A Cinch ....

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
Re: Bio
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2017, 07:33:07 AM »
Hi Dave, welcome to the forum.  Should be plenty of prototypes for models in that carreer.

Looking forward to seeing what you are building,

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline steamer

• Global Moderator
  • Central Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2017, 11:33:33 AM »
Welcome Dave!.   
"Mister M'Andrew, don't you think steam spoils romance at sea?"
Damned ijjit!

Offline b.lindsey

• Global Moderator
  • Dallas, NC, USA
    • Workbench-Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2017, 11:36:51 AM »
Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. Happy to have you join all the fun here and will look forward to your participation.

Bill

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2017, 03:00:36 PM »
Welcome to Model Engine Maker.  :hi: You'll find this a great place to hang out. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your engine projects and shop.

You mentioned working on the BNRR. To me that would mean the Burlington Northern Railroad?

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

Offline Dave Otto

• Boise, Idaho USA
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 04:09:18 PM »
Welcome to MEM Dave!

Dave

Online Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 07:46:29 PM »
Hi there Dave,
Welcome to the forum!
Kim

Offline Marlyn Spyke Maul

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 02:06:19 AM »
Yes Jim Burlington Northern. It was interesting / exciting. In 1978 there were still several branch lines and was fortunate to work some amazing old wood trestles. I was only 17 yo but all I had to do was say I was 18 and fill out a one page application. I worked my way up and was fortunate to operate a wide variety of cranes and pile drivers......Events moved along and slowly began working on the water. Tugboats mainly; generally sailed as Mate / 2nd captain......This is a wonderful site full of much wisdom and experience in the modeling steam world....I can't wait for the mornings come around to get out into the garage (shed).....I am very much it the learning phase and seem to build every thing about 3 times to get it right....Education is never without a cost  :)
Inch By Inch, Anything's A Cinch ....

Offline Flyboy Jim

• Independence, Oregon
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 02:51:45 AM »
Yes Jim Burlington Northern. It was interesting / exciting. In 1978 there were still several branch lines and was fortunate to work some amazing old wood trestles. I was only 17 yo but all I had to do was say I was 18 and fill out a one page application. I worked my way up and was fortunate to operate a wide variety of cranes and pile drivers......Events moved along and slowly began working on the water. Tugboats mainly; generally sailed as Mate / 2nd captain......This is a wonderful site full of much wisdom and experience in the modeling steam world....I can't wait for the mornings come around to get out into the garage (shed).....I am very much it the learning phase and seem to build every thing about 3 times to get it right....Education is never without a cost  :)

Sounds like you had a really interesting career.

You're right on the money about this forum. I'm new at machining small engines (actually any machining) myself and this site has been a wealth of information, help, and encouragement and all in all just a fun place to hang out.

I, as well as others, would love to hear more about your projects as well as your shop. Plus we love pictures.  :)

Jim
Sherline 4400 Lathe
Sherline 5400 Mill
"You can do small things on big machines, but you can do small things on small machines".

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal