Author Topic: Minor problem - small Asian lathe.  (Read 4139 times)

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
Re: Minor problem - small Asian lathe.
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2017, 10:49:49 AM »
I thought you were comparing like for like costs eg both the Molyslip rather than a cheapie with a quality one.

I was just suggesting one I have actually used rather than looking for the cheapest on the net and posting a link, I prefer to give suggestions based on actual first hand usage ;)

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2017, 11:31:41 AM »
Moly is different from standard Lithium grease in as far as it includes Molybdenum Disulphide as an additive which makes it suitable for extreme pressure applications (i.e. high load bearing).

Do you really believe that lubricating between gears on a lathe really counts as an extreme pressure application?

Jo

Edit: Standard LM grease comes off your hands much easier than the stuff with Molybdenum Disulphide in it  ::)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 12:16:34 PM by Jo »
Enjoyment is more important than achievement.

Offline Jasonb

• Surrey, UK
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 01:20:17 PM »
Just saves buying a whole load of other greases, Think I bought that one when I changed the Warco head bearings and have used it for most thing since.

It does say it is suitable for "agricultural machinery" so I would think that suits our far eastern machines down to the ground :LittleDevil:

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 02:07:16 PM »
Just saves buying a whole load of other greases

Most people already have an old pot of standard LM grease in the shed  ::)

Jo

Offline Alyn Foundry

• North Wales, Great Britain.
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 03:14:17 PM »
Hi.

I was sold on Molybdenum Disulphide nigh on 30 years ago. Working for what was then a publicly owned electricity supply and distribution system.

The CEGB ( Central Electricity Generation Board ) were decommissioning many of the smaller lower efficiency power stations, as a consequence they chose a turbine and alternator to destruction test lubricants. Raw MS was administered to the main bearings and then run, under load, without the usual flow of oil through the bearing boxes. Believe it or not the set lasted 8 hours before the Bronzes picked up and total destruction followed.

A single application had coated the surfaces sufficiently to make a long lived near frictionless environment.

I've been using MS 3 grease for just about everything since.

Cheers Graham.

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2017, 04:19:37 PM »
I have some Rocol (very high Molybdenum Disulphide grease) it is amazing what it does: good up to 450 degrees and 100,000 Bar  :o. I normally use it to lubricate the tailstock fixed centre when turning between centres  :ThumbsUp:

Graphite grease has its uses as well  :)

Jo

Offline Stuart

• Tilchestune UK
« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2017, 04:38:21 PM »
I must be the odd one out for open gears on the myford I use motor cycle chain lube not the wax WD do a good one it sprays on the goes gloopy and sticky so it stops put

One spray lasts ( not the can ) lasts about a month and quitenens things down no end

Stuart
My aim is for a accurate part with a good finish

Offline Gas_mantle

• North Yorks - UK.
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2017, 04:45:21 PM »
Thanks guys and gals,

I have to go into town tomorrow so I'll see what there is over the counter first then buy online if I cant get anything I want.

I did notice this stuff and wondered about its effectiveness it seems cheap enough and convenient to use :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Performance-White-Lithium-Grease-250ml/dp/B00KPUBO0U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508082122&sr=8-2&keywords=lithium+grease

Online Jo

• Administrator
  • Hampshire, england.
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2017, 05:05:49 PM »
That will work  :ThumbsUp: a spray is a much better way of doing things as it saves getting your hands dirty  ;)

Stuart's chain lube is good ... lubricating the gears on your lathe is not in any way going to challenge any lubricant, oil would do but it drips off and makes a mess ::)

Jo

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal