Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 574853 times)

Offline chucketn

• East TN, USA
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4410 on: August 05, 2019, 11:15:13 PM »
Your work is so awesome, Chris. As a young boy(I'm approaching 70 years), when going to visit Grandma And Grandpa in Scranton, PA, we often passed by old abandon strip mines that had Steam Shovels, but nothing as grand as your Marion.

Chuck :NotWorthy:

Offline gunna

• Melbourne, Oz.
« Reply #4411 on: August 06, 2019, 09:46:50 AM »
I can't add any more than what has been already said Chris, but I have read this thread almost daily from day one and am so impressed with everything. I have enjoyed the actions of the little people as well. :lolb: My congratulations to be added to everyone elses.
Ian.

Offline kvom

« Reply #4412 on: August 06, 2019, 12:26:16 PM »
Pretty spectacular!   :ThumbsUp: :cheers:

Are you going to be able to color/paint the chain? 

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4413 on: August 06, 2019, 12:38:45 PM »
Pretty spectacular!   :ThumbsUp: :cheers:

Are you going to be able to color/paint the chain?
The chain was originally chromed, I used a torch to dull it down and color it a bit, but not as much as I hoped. Other experiments didn't get it any better, so this is were I left it. This chain was the closest in size and shape that I could find, which is the most important thing. Chemical blackening doesn't work well for this stainless, and paint doesn't work well for chain.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4414 on: August 06, 2019, 12:39:33 PM »
I can't add any more than what has been already said Chris, but I have read this thread almost daily from day one and am so impressed with everything. I have enjoyed the actions of the little people as well. :lolb: My congratulations to be added to everyone elses.
Ian.
Thanks Ian!

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #4415 on: August 10, 2019, 12:55:52 PM »
Hi Chris,
if there are any problems to find a new project, may this will help to close the gap.
http://www.ferroviefelettane.it/La_mia_Bucyrus_Erie_Crane/Bucyrus_Erie_Crane.htm

Here a video of some testing with compressed air.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHawAQhZ404" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHawAQhZ404</a>

Have Fun. Shortly found by a fellow member in our German forum.

Kind Regards
Achim

Offline RonGinger

• Boothbay Maine USA
    • Pleasant Cove Models
« Reply #4416 on: August 10, 2019, 01:35:22 PM »
The chain was originally chromed, I used a torch to dull it down and color it a bit, but not as much as I hoped. Other experiments didn't get it any better, so this is were I left it. This chain was the closest in size and shape that I could find, which is the most important thing. Chemical blackening doesn't work well for this stainless, and paint doesn't work well for chain.

So, why not make your chain, you have made everything else.  >:D

I did that for the steering chain on my MINNIE traction engine. I only needed about 8 inches so it wasn't a major job. I made a mandrel to the inside shape of the link, wound on wire like for a spring, then sliced it with a Dremel cutoff wheel. The link then hooked together and just a slight twist of the link closed the slot. I made a jig to hold the links in a nice line and silver soldered them closed.

There are also some You tube videos showing chain making machines. That would be a cool project.

I guess I am really trying to find ways to keep this topic open, it has become a regular daily boost to me and I dont want to see it end.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4417 on: August 11, 2019, 03:19:40 AM »
Hi Chris,
if there are any problems to find a new project, may this will help to close the gap.
http://www.ferroviefelettane.it/La_mia_Bucyrus_Erie_Crane/Bucyrus_Erie_Crane.htm

Here a video of some testing with compressed air.

[youtube1]https://youtu.be/XHawAQhZ404[/youtube1]

Have Fun. Shortly found by a fellow member in our German forum.
That is incredible!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4418 on: August 11, 2019, 03:22:47 AM »

So, why not make your chain, you have made everything else.  >:D

I did that for the steering chain on my MINNIE traction engine. I only needed about 8 inches so it wasn't a major job. I made a mandrel to the inside shape of the link, wound on wire like for a spring, then sliced it with a Dremel cutoff wheel. The link then hooked together and just a slight twist of the link closed the slot. I made a jig to hold the links in a nice line and silver soldered them closed.

There are also some You tube videos showing chain making machines. That would be a cool project.

I guess I am really trying to find ways to keep this topic open, it has become a regular daily boost to me and I dont want to see it end.

I do have drawings I made up for a bending jig sized for these links, now that the rest is done I do want to try it out, to get the proper sized chain. This weekend is a big submarine run, maybe try it next week. Still got lots more pics and videos to come on this one...

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4419 on: August 13, 2019, 03:11:41 PM »
Okay, back from Indiana yesterday from the big RC submarine meet in Carmel (outside Indianapolis) - reason for no updates on the Marion model. Great time, we had a very good turnout (I think it was 28 skippers, most with 2 to 4 subs each). Weather was great, fun time all the way around. We run in the big reflecting pool at the war memorial park there:

Tents set up at the edge for shade (Indiana in summer can be quite hot, this weekend was comfortable).

Big tent back on the lawn for everyone to set up the models...

Here are a few shots of the models running - at times we had a dozen in the water together. This is my little Delphin sub

Gregs version of the Delphin, 50% smaller than mine

A Seaview (from the old movie/series)

and the Flying Sub from same series

Big model of the Holland 6, one of the very early submarines

my Russian Alfa:

Another modern sub

Now, to tie this post into the Marion build  :embarassed:   I did stop off in Marion Ohio on the way past, at the site of the original Marion Steam Shovel factory. Not much left there now, When Bucyrus bought them out in the 90's they shut it all down and demolished most everything. Then THEY were later bought out by Caterpillar. There is a tiny grass area with one of the buckets from a shovel...

and a couple of historic marker plaques

This is a view across the street to where the main buildings were. Mostly gone, I think the long brick buildings in the back were part of the factory (I sent a question in to the Marion historical society asking about that). They look like the buildings in the old catalogs and post cards. I drove around them, they are all bricked up, no windows or doors left, parts of one have a auto repair company in it.

Interesting to see the place, wish there was more left.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #4420 on: August 13, 2019, 03:35:16 PM »
Hello Chris,

Great photos and a wonderful location for the Sub-regatta. Looks like a huge verity of Subs on display in the tent. Sure wish you had been standing next to the shovel bucket for a reference. Thanks for sharing.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4421 on: August 13, 2019, 04:04:56 PM »
Hello Chris,

Great photos and a wonderful location for the Sub-regatta. Looks like a huge verity of Subs on display in the tent. Sure wish you had been standing next to the shovel bucket for a reference. Thanks for sharing.

Have a great day,
Thomas
The bucket is big enough to stand in - I was by myself so no good way to get in the picture. Naturally no one else walking along nearby either. Its a great pond for the subs, they picked Indiana as a central spot to get skippers from all over to attend, I just wish it was closer to home (about 9-1/2 hour drive each way) but we get a group rate at a nice hotel and its a great time there. Most years I stop in at a zoo or museum to break up the drive and walk around for a few hours.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4422 on: August 13, 2019, 08:39:43 PM »
For any in the western New York State area that are interested, the historical society is holding a open visit to the Marion shovel in LeRoy on the 21st, I'll have the model there and be talking on how the machine works. It was originally going to be a small kids group, but got opened up to the general public - rare chance to get in to see the machine up close, normally you are held back behind a fence 20 feet away.

Offline scc

• Lancashire, UK
« Reply #4423 on: August 13, 2019, 09:27:34 PM »
Absolutely stunning :praise2: :praise2: :praise2:   Chris, I love the way you say in post 4409 "I've been at it so long"    These things are relative....I would be unable to make such a model, but even if I could it would take me a lifetime!!!     Congratulations       Terry

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4424 on: August 13, 2019, 10:06:49 PM »
Thanks for the pics of the sub meet, it looks like fun. Some great models there. I guess you guys don't do a BBQ for lunch, do you? You probably order >wait for it< submarine sandwiches!  :cheers:

(sorry)  :facepalm:

Really liked the pics of the old Marion factory too, and the plaques and bucket. I checked it out on google maps too, by calling up Marion Ohio and "flying over" the city looking for rr tracks and old buildings. Having found it, anyone else looking could use Marion Ohio W Center St as search keywords and probably fly right to it! Shame all the doors and windows are closed up. For a relatively small site they sure produced some massive machines! (and a little coal smoke too, likely, from the foundry)

Have fun on the 21st! I predict you will be doing a few shovel demos. Be sure to lock up the Elfensteiner stubbies before you leave for the event, or the shop elves will get into them and wreak havoc..... :DrinkPint:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal