Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 574601 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4320 on: July 22, 2019, 08:15:36 PM »
And starting in on the steam chest - cut out the chest and lid blanks, trimmed to outside dimensions, and drilled/tapped the 1-72 mounting holes.

Next step will be to mill out the center of the chest and shape in the overhang around the outside...

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #4321 on: July 23, 2019, 06:29:26 PM »
Still following along Chris.  Great progress and fantastic work,  :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4322 on: July 23, 2019, 06:36:50 PM »
Thanks Craig, coming down to the final stop on this ride soon!  Got the steam chest and lid shaped down the rest of the way, along with the inlet/outlet pipes. Paint is drying on those parts, pics later on when it sets up.
 :cheers:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4323 on: July 24, 2019, 01:27:39 AM »
Little paint on the steam chest parts and stand...

Time to start working on the levers, valves and passages...

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #4324 on: July 24, 2019, 02:57:03 AM »
Parts are looking really good Chris!
 & from what I can see, the drawings are coming along well. Where will this one be published? This (& the Lombard) would make great build books, "The Shop Wisdom of Chris' elves"..ghost writer Chris ..
 I know you mentioned the Lombard being in a mag (Live Steam?)

Do any of the publishing companies even publish books like this anymore? It seems that the "newer" generation to the hobby want your CAD files (.stp  or .stl) so they can 3D print an engine. (Don't get me wrong, I appreciate new tech & am impressed with new tech, but...)

Anyways, great work Chris, & always following.
(Can't wait to see the Stanley, or whatever next,

John

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4325 on: July 24, 2019, 03:43:48 AM »
Parts are looking really good Chris!
 & from what I can see, the drawings are coming along well. Where will this one be published? This (& the Lombard) would make great build books, "The Shop Wisdom of Chris' elves"..ghost writer Chris ..
 I know you mentioned the Lombard being in a mag (Live Steam?)

Do any of the publishing companies even publish books like this anymore? It seems that the "newer" generation to the hobby want your CAD files (.stp  or .stl) so they can 3D print an engine. (Don't get me wrong, I appreciate new tech & am impressed with new tech, but...)

Anyways, great work Chris, & always following.
(Can't wait to see the Stanley, or whatever next,

John

:lolb: :ROFL:   love it, the elves are changing the titles as  I type...

Hi John, the Lombard build is being serialized in Live Steam & Outdoor Railroading  (Village Press), it will finish next spring, it started a year and a half ago. Their plan is to pull it all together as a book afterwards, very exciting!  The editor wants to start the Marion build after the Lombard series finishes, that will run even longer, much more material. Both series include full measured drawings. I gave him first draft for the Marion this spring, just the final three chapters to write. They do still publish plan and build books, though the number of publishers is dwindling. VP has been great, they are always looking for submissions, start writing!

Offline steam guy willy

« Reply #4326 on: July 24, 2019, 01:09:42 PM »
 Looking good Chris ..stillfollowing along  not long now... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Willy

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4327 on: July 24, 2019, 03:40:48 PM »
Looking good Chris ..stillfollowing along  not long now... :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Willy
Thanks Willy!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4328 on: July 24, 2019, 03:52:50 PM »
Started in on the passages this morning - laid out the pattern on paper, and pre-calculated the moves and stopping points on the handwheels to make sure no on-the-fly counting goofs, then spot drilled and drilled the port openings. The rows are at two different depths to connect to the passages out to the cylinders and cross passages, to be drilled later.

The ports have a height and spacing of .044", which are the smallest I've done so far. With such a small drill, I did not attempt to closely chain drill with overlapping holes, since the drill would just have flexed and gone into the other hole. So, I got out my high speed air rotary handpiece and a small (0.025" diameter) cutter to connect the holes:

The cutter COULD have been used in the mill, but at this small size I've found that it is much quicker to do it by hand, working from the middle of the holes out to the edge, finishing with a very light touch to straighten the edges. After the hand work, the face was lapped on a diamond coated metal plate to smooth out the surface, and remove any burs and machining marks.

As with the crowd and slew engines, you will note that the ports are not the usual pattern for a d-valve engine. There are four ports per cylinder, plus another row of three in the center. The center row gets a normal d-valve, which acts as the throttle plus forward/reverse control. Steam in the chest can go down one port of the center set, and the other two ports get connected, with the middle hole which goes to the exhaust tube. The two outer ports in the center set connect to the first and third ports in the outer rows. The outer rows get a double-layer d-valve, which take the steam/exhaust from the connecting passages (not drilled yet) and route them to the ends of the cylinder. It is quite an ingenious design, invented by Marion, that results in an engine that has just one set of eccentrics and no Stephenson link, making it much smaller overall. Earlier in this build log I showed diagrams of how the passages connect, this engine uses the same desiogn, just smaller.
With the ports all cut, next up will be to drill the connecting passages between the ports, the exhaust passage, and the passages to the ends of the cylinders. Good time for a break, don't want to make a goof at this stage!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4329 on: July 24, 2019, 08:33:39 PM »
And finished up the passages this afternoon after a good (uuurrrrppp) lunch outing. Drilled through the exhaust and cross passages (cross passages plugged with tight fit rod and loctite), and also the passages out to the cylinder ends, which also needed short recesses milled in to connect to the bores - this let me drill down square and avoid the riskier angled drilling.

The parts so far:

All thats left are the valve sliders, valve rods, and control levers to complete the engine. After that, and getting it to run of course, there remains a little piping and the linkage to the throttle from the front of the cab. Unless I forgot something   :shrug:   that will complete the model! Down to the last week or so of a roughly two year project (first learned that the shovel was nearby late in June of 2017).

Online sco

« Reply #4330 on: July 24, 2019, 09:48:31 PM »
More impressive micro metal surgery - still following your build Chris!

Simon.
Ars longa, vita brevis.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #4331 on: July 24, 2019, 09:49:40 PM »
So when you're done with the Marion and after a nice long vacation for those hard working elves, and maybe even a day or two off for you, what's next?

I seem to remember that at one time, well it might have been more than just one time, somebody might have mentioned something about a Stanley Steamer?

Don

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4332 on: July 24, 2019, 09:55:01 PM »
Engine looks great Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Re project completion - I think you are forgetting about the accessories you might need for the shovel - 27 dump cars, 2 steam 0-6-0 locomotives to pull them up to and past the shovel, and 225 feet of track for it all to run on. (plus 5 coal scoop shovels and 3 oil cans )  :Lol: :cheers:

(or 2 coal scoops if you want to keep the shop elves on their toes, the little b^gg$rs)  :naughty: :shrug:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4333 on: July 24, 2019, 10:40:44 PM »
More impressive micro metal surgery - still following your build Chris!

Simon.

So when you're done with the Marion and after a nice long vacation for those hard working elves, and maybe even a day or two off for you, what's next?

I seem to remember that at one time, well it might have been more than just one time, somebody might have mentioned something about a Stanley Steamer?

Don

The shop elves and I have some road trips planned, a well deserved rest!

I do have a set of blueprints and a 3d CAD model for a Stanley Steamer engine that I want to build. Also have worked up a design for a Cat 340D excavator that I want to build a RC version of, with electric powered substitute for the hydraulic pistons. If my design for the pistons work and give enough power, that will be an easy build. Also have a copy of the original builders blueprints for the Ward pumping station in Buffalo, with five 60 foot tall triple compound engines, have been converting them bit by bit to 3d CAD model. Also always have ideas for more rc submarines. And carving and scrimshaw project ideas... No worries, lots of projects in the pipeline!!

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4334 on: July 24, 2019, 10:42:14 PM »
Engine looks great Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Re project completion - I think you are forgetting about the accessories you might need for the shovel - 27 dump cars, 2 steam 0-6-0 locomotives to pull them up to and past the shovel, and 225 feet of track for it all to run on. (plus 5 coal scoop shovels and 3 oil cans )  :Lol: :cheers:

(or 2 coal scoops if you want to keep the shop elves on their toes, the little b^gg$rs)  :naughty: :shrug:

Well, come on, I thought YOU were building the railway side of it all!!   ::)

:Jester:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal