Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573625 times)

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4170 on: June 25, 2019, 02:28:27 AM »
Fantastic work all the way around Chris! Really like the boiler & fab work.

Learning a lot!

John

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4171 on: June 25, 2019, 02:33:04 AM »
Wow Dog! You don’t mess around that’s awesome....... :praise2:

:popcornsmall:
Don

Offline Farmboy

• England
« Reply #4172 on: June 25, 2019, 12:15:48 PM »
Hi Chris,

I haven't commented for some time (been a bit busy with life and other stuff) but I have been getting my daily fix of model engineering by checking out your build, which goes some way to making up for my own lack of 'shop time . . . and you seem to have been getting on quite well without my help  :LittleDevil:

Seriously, I can hardly believe your rate of progress, especially considering the level of detail and accuracy involved. This has truly been a masterclass in machining and fabrication . . . not to mention all the jig-making and setting-up skills  :praise2: :praise2: :praise2:

Can't wait to see the thing running in all its glory  :cartwheel:

Mike.

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4173 on: June 25, 2019, 01:24:04 PM »
Thanks guys, great to have you along for the journey on this build! Its looking like it will be taking a trip down the road to LeRoy sometime in August to visit with its big brother by the quarry! Started talking with the historical society head again, and that looks like it will work out with all the other summer activities we both have.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #4174 on: June 25, 2019, 01:42:17 PM »
Hello Chris,

I agree 100% with what and how @Famboy stated about your work. That Boiler and all of it's attachments are just plain ole beautiful. I cannot wait to see some smoke coming out of the stack and the sounds emitting from all those mechanical features.

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4175 on: June 25, 2019, 09:36:44 PM »
More on the smokebox assembly, started in on the doors by recessing the centers with the two doors still attached in a larger piece of sheet stock:

then going around the edges to trim then mostly to shape, to be followed by cleanup on the belt sander after they are cut apart.

Before cutting them apart, drilled/tapped some 1-72 holes in the perimeter for the hinges and the steel heat shields that will be on the inside of the doors.

Some sanding on the edges, and attached the posts for the hinges. The posts are held on with screws for the silver soldering step, then the screw heads will be filed off. The screws holding the blocks on the main ring were replaced with some countersunk head brass screws, sunk in just a little so the heads could be filed off.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4176 on: June 26, 2019, 12:13:24 AM »
I think a lot hinges on the items in that last photo! Great work Chris, and I enjoyed the preview of the name plates in the previous photos.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

:cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4177 on: June 26, 2019, 12:50:13 AM »
I think a lot hinges on the items in that last photo! Great work Chris, and I enjoyed the preview of the name plates in the previous photos.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Pun Alert!! :cheers:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4178 on: June 26, 2019, 05:59:08 PM »
This morning saw the hinge posts silver soldered onto the smokebox front plate, and the hinge posts on the doors drilled and trimmed to length:

Took a little filing on the edges to get them to open/close fully, but working well now.

Took a little filing on the edges to get them to open/close fully, but working well now. Next step is to install the name/number plates, and make the steel heat shields that go on the inside of the plate and doors, simple plates on little stand-offs. Then will drill/tap the mounting holes through the boiler shell.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4179 on: June 26, 2019, 07:30:51 PM »
The 'box doors look great Chris!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Kim

• Global Moderator
  • Portland, Oregon, USA
« Reply #4180 on: June 27, 2019, 06:07:22 AM »
The Firebox doors and the Smokebox doors look great, Chris!

So, if I'm understanding this right, the Smokebox doors are operational (they open and close).  But the Firebox doors are just for looks because you're using a propane burner (or something like that?).   Is this right?

Love following your builds, Chris!
Kim

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4181 on: June 27, 2019, 02:16:35 PM »
The Firebox doors and the Smokebox doors look great, Chris!

So, if I'm understanding this right, the Smokebox doors are operational (they open and close).  But the Firebox doors are just for looks because you're using a propane burner (or something like that?).   Is this right?

Love following your builds, Chris!
Kim
The doors need to open to allow access to the firetube to light the burner. With the butane, easiest way is to crack open the valve and use a sparker or long lighter at the end of the tube, the flame will snap back to the burner. Same thing was done on the Lombard model, the whole firebox end hinged open. When closed, the doors redirect the hot gasses up the stack. 

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4182 on: June 27, 2019, 07:16:00 PM »
Getting close to finishing the boiler parts - got the name/number plates riveted on with some 1mm rivets, and cut out/drilled/tapped for the inner steel heat shield pieces, which are some thin stainless sheet stock I found at the local hobby shop.

Inside the firetube I am taking the advice from Rod and putting in a twisted piece of stainless to act as a turbulence generator to get the hot gasses to flow along the tube sides. I've never tried this before, but he says that it will increase the efficiency, sounds like it should work out.

Here is the smokebox front wall/doors installed, with the lettering on:

Doors open to show the heat shields in place, offset from the brass with nuts to leave an air gap. This is not just for the model, the real one has the same thing on it.

I think the only bit left is the adapter ring for the burner, which is made for a 28mm OD tube, my firetube is 1-1/4" so it needs a little step-down ring to make it fit. Then I can give the boiler a coat of paint (I am using automotive ceramic engine paint so it can take the heat) and get things assembled and pressure check the joints to the fittings.

Offline Johnmcc69

• Erie Pa., USA
« Reply #4183 on: June 27, 2019, 08:52:42 PM »
Excellent!!
 :popcorn: :ThumbsUp:

John

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4184 on: June 27, 2019, 09:13:26 PM »
Excellent work Dog and I do hope that it’s camera delusion that makes the tags look slanted...... :ThumbsUp:

Don

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal