Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573486 times)

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4155 on: June 21, 2019, 05:55:48 PM »
Got the front end stand for the boiler painted this morning, and started in on the firebox shell, which is just some copper sheet cut/bent to shape, drilled and riveted at the corners. Still need to make the bottom flange to attach it to the floor with, and a strap to go over the boiler shell to hold them together.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4156 on: June 21, 2019, 06:33:09 PM »
Looks great Chris, gotta be the fastest boiler build I've seen.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I know the false firebox (firebag, maybe?)  :Lol:  and single flue construction helped, but still, very quick.  :whoohoo:  :cheers:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4157 on: June 21, 2019, 09:31:36 PM »
Ok Dog!! You do know your just putting people to shame here bud. I mean really get some sleep man are you trying to break a worlds record here? Now that’s looks awesome I have to say and your moving at an  incredible rate so, what’s the secret? You double up on the elves Dog?  :lolb:

:popcornsmall:
Don
« Last Edit: June 21, 2019, 09:37:30 PM by Don1966 »

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4158 on: June 21, 2019, 10:43:43 PM »
I think he 3D printed extra sets of arms for a few of them!  :Lol:

I'm looking forward to seeing what Chris does on the smokebox doors. ('Smokebox' sounds so much better than 'butanefumebox'). As I recall they had some nice raised lettering in the Marion castings in Chris' photos. I think the etching gear may get used again. Enjoying this thread a lot!  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4159 on: June 22, 2019, 12:57:33 AM »
I am amazed at how much quicker this boiler went than any before, all just fell into place without needing two weeks of leak chasing. Maybe the elves were working on it at night, or they bought one online... Gotta check that credit card statement...

This evening got the floor plate in, and added dummy staybolts to the firebox sides. Need to make a firebox door, then will start the smokebox door assembly. It does have a bunch of lettering on the doors, but I made those a few weeks ago when I made the ones for the engines, will rivet them to the doors. The doors are an odd shape, since they have to clear the backstay.

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4160 on: June 23, 2019, 01:05:03 AM »
No new work on the Marion today, was off at the pond all day with the RC submarine group, absolutely perfect weather. Last night I did get the rest of the rivets in the firebox, and added rows of dummy staybolt ends too (copper roofing nail heads riveted in). Still need to make up a firebox door for it. Here it is set in place on the model. There are four screws out the bottom of the firebox floor plate that will get simple bars bolted on to hold the firebox to the cab floor plates (it is sitting over a large hole in the floor, check earlier pictures for that). There will be a ash chute under the floor that will hang from those screws as well. Painted the front boiler stand as well.

So, still to go on the boiler:
- smokebox door assembly- firebox door- firebox floor clamps and ash chute under the floor
- strap over top of the boiler to hold it to the firebox
- insulation wrap around the boiler shell and thin sheet wrap around the insulation
- install the fittings
- sight glass, pressure gauge, valves, piping to engines
- levers behind boiler for ash grates (dummy)
- install burner/butane tank- make the two water tanks that sit either side of the boiler
- anything else I am forgetting at the moment!
And yes, having the boiler in place is definitely putting the center of mass of the model back farther like it should be, to counterbalance the boom/bucket assembly on the front.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 01:08:26 AM by crueby »

Offline fumopuc

• Munich, Germany, EU
« Reply #4161 on: June 23, 2019, 07:33:05 AM »
Hi Chris, it is looking great. This model will be an absolute eye catcher at every show.
Kind Regards
Achim

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4162 on: June 23, 2019, 07:36:02 PM »
Hi Chris, it is looking great. This model will be an absolute eye catcher at every show.
Thanks Achim!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4163 on: June 23, 2019, 08:53:48 PM »
Made up a paper pattern for the ash chute which goes underneath the firebox and deflects the ash back away from the rear track support, when happy with that cut it out of copper:

and bent up to shape in the vise - it is held in place by the screws I added to the bottom of the firebox, which will also be used to hold it all to the floor plates:

Just gave that a spritz of paint....

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #4164 on: June 24, 2019, 02:23:04 AM »
Chris,
I can see it now, that ash chute is going to work extra hard with those butane ashes. :ROFL:
Art
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4165 on: June 24, 2019, 02:36:00 AM »
Chris,
I can see it now, that ash chute is going to work extra hard with those butane ashes. :ROFL:
Art
I am more worried about it clogging up with empty bottles of Elf Pale Ale...  :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4166 on: June 24, 2019, 09:36:06 PM »
Few more bits on the firebox assembly, added some bars to the screws on the bottom that will clamp the firebox to the floor when the nuts are tightened down. The bars can slip through the opening in the floor from one side, and far enough over the other way to get the second end down, then back for tightening.

A view from the bottom showing the end of the chute down below the frames:

Also added a strap over the top to hold the boiler shell in place. The front end of the boiler has screws through the front stand as well.

Then milled up the firebox door, on the end of a chunk of round bar:

Parted off on the bandsaw and trimmed on the sander, then riveted to the firebox and painted:

Now on to the smokebox door frame. It is very different from a locomotive one, has a frame with a sheet across the top and a bump up in the bottom, leaving two swinging doors that will clear the piping and backstay. Started with a disc of brass sawn from a larger sheet, and drilled/mounted on a center arbor to mill the rim to the right size. Added three screw blocks that will take screws through the end of the smokebox shell, milled them to fit the inside of the boiler shell, also notched the sheet to fit the shell as well. Then started cutting the inside edges out:

Straight cuts up the sides where the doors will hinge and across the bottom for the bump up, that shape will be hand filed to shape later:

and cuts across the top of the opening - could not go all the way across due to the arbor, will set that up next:

It does look like a shop-made Halloween pumpkin, or a robot face...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4167 on: June 24, 2019, 10:04:18 PM »
Sort of an Asian looking jack-o-lantern! Great progress Chris.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Like the E.P.A. bottle exit chute. The good news is that the tracks will make short work of any piles of hundreds of bottles...... :Lol:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4168 on: June 24, 2019, 11:03:23 PM »
Sort of an Asian looking jack-o-lantern! Great progress Chris.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Like the E.P.A. bottle exit chute. The good news is that the tracks will make short work of any piles of hundreds of bottles...... :Lol:
Hmmm... room in the firebox to put the vending machine, time to make some money back from the elves...!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4169 on: June 24, 2019, 11:09:11 PM »
Flipped the panel over, and recessed the inside slightly to form the rim around the edges:

Then set up the mini vise in its bigger brother to trim the last edge on the opening:

Here is what it will look like in place - the screw heads will be trimmed down thinner:

And the other day I was asked by CNR about the lettering on the boiler front - here are the two lines of text that will go on the upper panel, they were made back when I did the other plates a little while back.

They will be riveted in place, as will some other number plates that go on the doors, which will be made next...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal