Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 574144 times)

Offline Firebird

• East Midlands UK
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4140 on: June 20, 2019, 10:11:11 AM »
Hi Chris

Great news on your boiler  :ThumbsUp:

My conway boiler had several leaks and re solders and so did Julians Simplex boiler. With each re heat it seemed to take longer to get the boiler up to soldering temperature, maybe silver solder needs more heat to re melt??

I'll look out for a sievert I think

Anyway great work

Cheers

Rich

Offline MJM460

• Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #4141 on: June 20, 2019, 12:28:03 PM »
Hi Chris, great to see a successful pressure test, another important milestone reached.  Congratulations.

It has been a great tutorial on boiler building, thanks for taking the time to write it up in such detail.

MJM460
The more I learn, the more I find that I still have to learn!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4142 on: June 20, 2019, 12:59:20 PM »
Chris--Thank you for the explanation of the fire tubes.---Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4143 on: June 20, 2019, 01:14:52 PM »
Thanks all, still grinning at the boiler here...!   :cheers:

Rich, the solder does take a bit more to re-melt the second/third time around, I think the alloy mix changes a bit with the copper or something like that.
For those in the US looking for Sievert, this is where I got mine several years ago.

https://www.bestmaterials.com/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=sievert
Sievert does make several different lines of torches, not all interchange parts, so I would recommend looking at their catalog/website first:
https://www.sievert.se/products/
It looks like their product line/numbers have changed since I bought mine, not unusual for any manufacturer...

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4144 on: June 20, 2019, 02:42:58 PM »
Hi Chris, glad to hear the grins are happening re the boiler. Pics looked great.  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Re Sievert - I had a quote in 2017 from Sievert USA for a 3488-47 torch, neck tube, and 4 sizes of burners small to big, for a job in industry. With Cdn HST tax , delivery, and the dollar exchange at the time, it was close to $750.  :o The firm's owner could not afford that. I went back to using my ancient oxy acetylene torch for the silver soldering, and got along fine with it as always, but for big jobs the heat is too localized. I later found a European-made torch and burner set, similar to older torch models from Sievert, at a firm here in Canada for a fraction of the price on the Sievert quote, bought one, and it works well. However I bought it through a business, they do not sell to private individuals. Just goes to show though that there are lower priced options , with similar capability to Sievert , available with some digging.
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4145 on: June 20, 2019, 05:24:26 PM »
With the boiler well in hand, time to hold it up - starting in on the front support frame, which on the real machine is a big casting that holds the smokebox end of the boiler up, straddling the middle of the A-frame backstay bars. Laid it out on a chunk of brass left over from the track frames, and chain-drilled around the openings:

That made the initial milling go faster - the center is cut all the way through as is the top arms, the areas around the center will only be taken partway through to leave a center flange.

Then set it up on the roatary table, with the top arc centered on the center of the rotary table. Took a series of cuts to remove the upper part of the bar:

and trimmed that till it fit the boiler closely:

Then started taking down the flange areas - the bar is 1/2" thick, cutting .200" in to leave the .100 flange. The rotary table was handy to do the angled sections too, rotated till they were lined up with the axis of the mill table.

One side done, will turn it over and do the flanges on the other side next, then trim away the sides - they are useful for holding it till then.

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4146 on: June 20, 2019, 06:32:20 PM »
 :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4147 on: June 20, 2019, 07:47:32 PM »
After lunch (uuurrpp) got the other side of the support stand milled in, then started taking off the outer pieces:

and here it is, with a offcut of the boiler shell, ready to drill the mounting holes to hold it to the boiler and to the brace in the main frame:

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #4148 on: June 20, 2019, 08:34:17 PM »
Hello Chris,

Me too,  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :NotWorthy:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4149 on: June 20, 2019, 10:12:09 PM »
Dog that stand looks outstanding, but hey bud a lot of metal wasted. With your fabrication skills you could of fabed one up......just saying. As always love your work Chris..... :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4150 on: June 21, 2019, 12:54:27 AM »
Dog that stand looks outstanding, but hey bud a lot of metal wasted. With your fabrication skills you could of fabed one up......just saying. As always love your work Chris..... :ThumbsUp:

Don
I dont look at it as metal wasted, its an offcut from the scrap bin that got used!   ::)     :Lol:

Offline Art K

• Madison, Wisconsin USA
« Reply #4151 on: June 21, 2019, 04:13:42 AM »
Great job on the boiler, sounds like the voice of experience. One down two to go.
Art
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 02:05:07 AM by Art K »
"The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you" B.B. King

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4152 on: June 21, 2019, 01:08:17 PM »
Great job o  the boiler, sounds like the voice of experience. One down two to go.
Art
Thanks Art!

Two what to go? Not building two more Marions!   :o

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #4153 on: June 21, 2019, 02:39:11 PM »
Looks like you have a boiler, I'll dance with you ! :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :cartwheel: :pinkelephant:

Smooth sailing ahead!  Great job.
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4154 on: June 21, 2019, 03:26:08 PM »
Looks like you have a boiler, I'll dance with you ! :pinkelephant: :pinkelephant: :cartwheel: :pinkelephant:

Smooth sailing ahead!  Great job.

And sailing tomorrow, next rc sub run...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal