Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573352 times)

Offline AOG

Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4080 on: June 14, 2019, 01:03:48 AM »
The purpose of the tube shape is to condense the steam into water before it goes into the gauge. Having a straight tube won’t allow that to happen. The steam will damage the gauge.

Tony

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4081 on: June 14, 2019, 01:11:52 AM »
The purpose of the tube shape is to condense the steam into water before it goes into the gauge. Having a straight tube won’t allow that to happen. The steam will damage the gauge.

Tony
So the tube does need to dip down then back up again? Thanks!

Offline rspringer

« Reply #4082 on: June 14, 2019, 05:08:21 PM »
If you want it to go straight up put a pig tail (loop for you city folk) in the line.

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4083 on: June 14, 2019, 05:45:52 PM »
If you want it to go straight up put a pig tail (loop for you city folk) in the line.
Just went and looked at the gauge on my G1 steamer, factory made, and thats how they did it, couple loops in the middle of the tube. That would work for mine too, thanks for the tip!

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4084 on: June 14, 2019, 06:55:08 PM »
This morning I made up the through bushings for the boiler, to mount the sight glass on the backhead and the pipes on the steam dome. They are simple stepped bronze bushings, threaded through for the fittings. Then started boring the holes in the endcaps for the bushings and flue tube. With the rear cap clamped to a piece of wood in the mill vise, first drilled

then bored to size, close slip fit for the bushing to leave space for the silver solder to flow through.

This was first use of a new boring head I picked up from RDG tools, so far I like it a lot. The Sherline version had a setscrew wheel that sets the diameter, just like normal, but in there case it just butts against the end of the slider, so it is very easy to have the slider move when tightening the slider lock. Also, the wheel would tend to unscrew itself while boring, so you constantly have to run it back in before unlocking it. This one has a wheel that moves the slider both ways, which gets rid of that. It is calibrated in metric, but that is no problem, I use both units of measure all the time.

After the two sight glass bushings were fit, moved over to the larger holes for the firetube. The tube is due here in a couple hours, so I am stopping short of dimension so I can take it out to actual measured size of the tube, dont want to depend on the spec.

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #4085 on: June 14, 2019, 06:57:34 PM »
Other direction, I used to be an elf, worked for the big guy up north and everything...   :Jester:
I was talking about Fritz's twin brother, we ALL know about you.  Or is that, "We know ALL about you", I can never keep that straight.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4086 on: June 14, 2019, 07:00:36 PM »
Other direction, I used to be an elf, worked for the big guy up north and everything...   :Jester:
I was talking about Fritz's twin brother, we ALL know about you.  Or is that, "We know ALL about you", I can never keep that straight.

Don
:ROFL:
If I could just get Hollywood interested in the story!  Hmm, The Elf That Ate My Workshop...  or, Swarf - the Elf Vs Rocky Fight!
 :lolb:

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #4087 on: June 14, 2019, 10:29:24 PM »
Why limit yourself to Hollywood?  For some reason they seem to be making Japanese style monster movies again.

Think about it....

Swarf - the monster that ate Tokyo!!
Coming soon to a workshop  near you.

Or how about...
Godzilla vs. Swarf

Or,

Mothra vs. Swarf

Or we can make it a really epic 3 way battle -

Mothra vs. Godzilla vs. Swarf

In hindsight, it appears that I spent WAY too much time at home on Friday nights watching B/W monster movies.

Don

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4088 on: June 14, 2019, 11:20:54 PM »
Why limit yourself to Hollywood?  For some reason they seem to be making Japanese style monster movies again.

Think about it....

Swarf - the monster that ate Tokyo!!
Coming soon to a workshop  near you.

Or how about...
Godzilla vs. Swarf

Or,

Mothra vs. Swarf

Or we can make it a really epic 3 way battle -

Mothra vs. Godzilla vs. Swarf

In hindsight, it appears that I spent WAY too much time at home on Friday nights watching B/W monster movies.

Don
Swarfzilla vs the ChipMonster....
Guess it shows the kind of movies we grew up watching...
 :ROFL:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4089 on: June 14, 2019, 11:24:50 PM »
The firetube arrived this afternoon    :cartwheel:   so I was able to finish boring the hole for it in the rear end cap:

snuck up on the dimension, checking frequently with a chunk cut off the end of the tube (it was long enough to cut the main firetube, the steam dome, and leave this piece)

With a decent fit, removed the cap from the mill and test fit with the real firetube. One cap down, one to go!

Offline Brian Rupnow

• Barrie, Ontario Canada
« Reply #4090 on: June 14, 2019, 11:40:32 PM »
This is interesting Chris. I've never seen one of these built before.---Brian

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4091 on: June 14, 2019, 11:53:29 PM »
This is interesting Chris. I've never seen one of these built before.---Brian
Great to have you along for the ride. This boiler is a little bigger but simpler than the one on the Lombard. Coming together fairly quickly.

Offline steamboatmodel

« Reply #4092 on: June 15, 2019, 12:16:42 AM »
Marv:

I think that Fritz's twin brother is camped out on my shelf.  He's always sitting around and when I ask him why he's sitting around and when he's going to get to work, he says he's on his "Union" break.  See attached photo.

Crueby thinks he's devolved into a gnome - I dunno, biology was never my thing.

Don

Chris is talking about the Real Big Guy, Not me or Brian.

If I remember correct I first meet Chris when he was talking a RC boat brake, but he told us he was working at some photo place. I knew better I had seen him around the Big Shop

Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4093 on: June 15, 2019, 01:04:56 AM »
Marv:

I think that Fritz's twin brother is camped out on my shelf.  He's always sitting around and when I ask him why he's sitting around and when he's going to get to work, he says he's on his "Union" break.  See attached photo.

Crueby thinks he's devolved into a gnome - I dunno, biology was never my thing.

Don

Chris is talking about the Real Big Guy, Not me or Brian.

If I remember correct I first meet Chris when he was talking a RC boat brake, but he told us he was working at some photo place. I knew better I had seen him around the Big Shop

Gerald.
Thats right, first met Gerald when I was in high school, I think, maybe college, was a long long time ago, on the Great Lakes RC boat club circuit. Great fun going to meets at all the clubs around Lake Ontario. After that started working for The Claus, but my cover story was being a software engineer at Kodak, aka The Big Yellow Box.  Lasted 30 years there till too many clueless CEOs drove the company into the dustbin at high speed. Took early retirement at 51 and have been having tons of fun ever since! Most I will say about leaving the North Pole workshop is that the elves (me included) got into a spirited food fight with the reindeer, which ended with one reindeer getting bonked in the beezer with a beer stein, but as you know he made a fortune with that glowing red nose! Got back into the RC boats again as well as learning lots more about machining, still lots to learn in both arenas, which keeps it fun.

:cheers:

Offline crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4094 on: June 15, 2019, 02:01:54 PM »
The second cap is bored for the fire tube:

Here are the endcaps and tube so far:

Next up - the steam dome

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal