Author Topic: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel  (Read 573384 times)

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
Re: Chris's Marion 91 Steam Shovel
« Reply #4065 on: June 13, 2019, 12:44:38 AM »
Wow......

Planisher of the Year Award  may be appropriate  :Jester: .......

HSS tooling [over carbide] usually helps eliminate any grabbing of annealed copper

Derek
That would explain why the parting tool worked well. Thanks!

:cheers:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4066 on: June 13, 2019, 03:36:03 PM »
This has not been my month for ordering this (and getting them). Online Metals backordered one of the pipes I ordered without telling me, then swore up and down it would be in and ship out yesterday (two weeks late). Not so - cancelled that item, found it on McMasterCarr, same thing at half the price and it will be here tomorrow afternoon...
 :ShakeHead:

On a positive note, the vinyl lettering for the sides of the cab is out for delivery today!   :)

On the model, the rims of both end caps are turned to fit the boiler shell, am about to start fitting the internal ribs to the caps to prevent bowing of the flat surfaces - am using the tables in Kozo's book to place them.

Offline Craig DeShong

• Raleigh, NC. USA
« Reply #4067 on: June 13, 2019, 04:18:19 PM »
Coming right along Chris  :ThumbsUp:

Thanks for the tutorial on forming copper, might need to use it sometime in the future.

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Craig
The destination motivates us toward excellence, the journey entertains us, and along the way we meet so many interesting people.

Offline Don1966

• Columbia, MS
« Reply #4068 on: June 13, 2019, 04:42:40 PM »
Damn Dog you made that look easy and I learned something here thanks for showing us..... :ThumbsUp:

:cheers:
Don

Offline cnr6400

« Reply #4069 on: June 13, 2019, 05:15:12 PM »
"
This has not been my month for ordering this (and getting them). Online Metals backordered one of the pipes I ordered without telling me, then swore up and down it would be in and ship out yesterday (two weeks late). Not so - cancelled that item, found it on McMasterCarr, same thing at half the price and it will be here tomorrow afternoon...
 :ShakeHead: "

[size=12
pt]FROM CNR6400:

Hi Chris, It pays to shop around these days. McMaster is hard to beat for carrying / distributing just about everything! I can usually get small qty of materials from them at a fraction of what the local Metal Supermarket charges (Canadian version of Online Metals I guess), even after shipping and money exchange!

The flanged end looked like a great fit in your tube section in the last photo.
[/size]
  :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:18:18 PM by cnr6400 »
"I've cut that stock three times, and it's still too short!"

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4070 on: June 13, 2019, 06:36:42 PM »
Thanks CNR! I have a McMaster warehouse location only an hour away, so they deliver next day by UPS, got lucky on where all the distribution points are. OM's prices can be better at times, but their shipping costs have skyrocketed this past year or so, after Thysson Krup bought them.

The lettering arrived for the cab, VERY happy on how that came out. These are vinyl adhesive-back letters like you would use on glass doors and signs. They let you design the set online, picking font, size, color, etc. and they send it on transfer paper, so all you have to do is line it up on the surface, put a tape hinge on one edge, peal away the backing, and squeegee it down, and peel off the transfer paper. All that is left behind is the lettering, which is nice and thin so it can form to small surface features. I got it from www.customvinyllettering.net
Here is how it looks:

Its a close match to the original, not exact but as close as I could get. Not bad for $8. They did not have a 'dash' for the line between the words, so I added that with a strip of the vinyl tape I used for etching the plates.

Offline Ye-Ole Steam Dude

• Deep East Texas on Sam Rayburn Lake
« Reply #4071 on: June 13, 2019, 07:43:57 PM »
Hello Chris,

OH WOW! The lettering looks great. :ThumbsUp: :ThumbsUp:

Have a great day,
Thomas
Thomas

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4072 on: June 13, 2019, 07:56:09 PM »
After sitting and admiring the lettering for a bit, got out the book and worked out the position/size of the cross ribs on the end caps. Turns out that it just needs one horizontal rib, which makes the job lots easier than a crossed pair. So, sawed out a blank of thick copper and used the belt sander and a file to fit them to the position:

Assuming the elf-spector approves, they will be silver soldered in place, but first I want to make the bushings for the sight glass/etc and drill those holes, then solder them all at once.

Offline mklotz

• LA, CA, USA
    • SOFTWARE FOR PEOPLE WHO BUILD THINGS!
« Reply #4073 on: June 13, 2019, 09:15:33 PM »
Hey, Chris, I think your elf-spector is related to an expatriate elf with a bad (aren't they all?) New Your accent who showed up in my shop and conned me into hiring him.  He says his name is Fritz Bruder and he loves to wrench on my engines...

He tires easily standing all the time so I made him a crate.  He likes to sit on it and wear his weird welding helmet that he says he picked up in some place in England but I think he's lying, probably light-fingered it from some museum.

Regards, Marv
Home Shop Freeware
https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4074 on: June 13, 2019, 09:29:38 PM »
Hey, Chris, I think your elf-spector is related to an expatriate elf with a bad (aren't they all?) New Your accent who showed up in my shop and conned me into hiring him.  He says his name is Fritz Bruder and he loves to wrench on my engines...

He tires easily standing all the time so I made him a crate.  He likes to sit on it and wear his weird welding helmet that he says he picked up in some place in England but I think he's lying, probably light-fingered it from some museum.

Love it!!    :lolb:

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #4075 on: June 13, 2019, 10:36:21 PM »
You want ordering frustration, I got one for you.

About 5-6 weeks ago I ordered 11 power distribution panels for a large-ish project I'm working on.  A major part of this project is scheduled to be installed over the July 4th plant shutdown - the panels were supposed to be delivered about 3 weeks after the order was placed.  They have not arrived yet, and tomorrow we have a meeting with their corporate representatives to discuss EXACTLY when the most important 3 of these 11 panels will be delivered.  The other 8 panels aren't scheduled to ship until late July. And this will be an international shipment, not domestic - something we didn't know at the time of the initial order.

I'm used to dealing with long lead-times and schedule delays, but this one - not so much.

Don

Offline gary.a.ayres

• Isle of Skye & sometimes France
« Reply #4076 on: June 13, 2019, 10:45:15 PM »
The lettering looks fab against  that red  :ThumbsUp:

Offline ddmckee54

• We're having fun now --- or so I've been told.
« Reply #4077 on: June 13, 2019, 10:55:46 PM »
Marv:

I think that Fritz's twin brother is camped out on my shelf.  He's always sitting around and when I ask him why he's sitting around and when he's going to get to work, he says he's on his "Union" break.  See attached photo.

Crueby thinks he's devolved into a gnome - I dunno, biology was never my thing.

Don

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4078 on: June 13, 2019, 11:01:51 PM »
Marv:

I think that Fritz's twin brother is camped out on my shelf.  He's always sitting around and when I ask him why he's sitting around and when he's going to get to work, he says he's on his "Union" break.  See attached photo.

Crueby thinks he's devolved into a gnome - I dunno, biology was never my thing.

Don
Other direction, I used to be an elf, worked for the big guy up north and everything...   :Jester:

Online crueby

• Rochester NY
« Reply #4079 on: June 14, 2019, 12:58:26 AM »
Pressure gauge placement question - usually I see the gauge placed with a siphon tube running down and back up from one of the manifolds or pipes at the top of the boiler. Is there a need for the down/up, or if there is room, could it just be on a short tube going up from the steam dome or sight glass top?
 :headscratch:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal